• 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By porcelainowl
  • 1 Post By veggiestez
  • 1 Post By azerea_02
  • 1 Post By overcasst

#1 Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
what is a user title ...

Gluten free & vegan- help!

hello! i am wondering what everyone's favorites are regarding prepared meals that are both gf and vegan.
it has been a bit difficult for me to find things -for example in the frozen section- that are vegan, because they are mostly prepared with gluten. for health reasons, i cannot eat these things!
i am hoping to get some good ideas from you guys, and i'll appreciate any suggestions. i only specify frozen meals because i am always on the go and have hardly any time to prepare lunches and snacks, but any&all ideas are welcome.
thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it can be a lot healthier and cheaper to pick a designated day of the week and take a few hours to prepare some foods ahead for the coming week. I do this every week. I work full time and take some dance classes and go to meetings and also workout at a gym early mornings. So I don't have a ton of time to work with during the week. I will usually spend a few hours on Sundays (my day off work) making some lunches for the week, baking loaves of bread or energy bars (and freezing them individually) and if I have something that takes time to cook, like wild rice or dried beans, I will make a big batch on Sundays and store it in the refrigerator for the week. Then I just grab out what I need each day and off I go.

I don't know of too many prepackaged foods, but I do think larabars are gluten free vegan. I think there are some commercial organic cereals like Barbaras or Nature's Path that have a few gluten free vegan options. Food for Life has gluten free vegan bread. And Beyond Meat is gluten free vegan. They make vegan chickn strips and other fake meats. My Mom is an on again off again gluten free vegan and buys some of these things. I tried the Beyond Meat strips a time or two and liked them. There are also vegan soy and coconut based yogurts as well as almond milk yogurt that are all gluten free. And I have seen individual servings of soy, hemp, almond, and rice milk cartons.

Don't forget snacks like whole dates or figs, raisins, whole raw nuts, roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds, fresh fruits. All are filling and easy to carry when on the go. If you can handle oats, all you need when bringing them along is a bowl, access to hot water, maybe some cinnamon or sweetener to throw over them. I have brought oats to hotels when traveling and just add hot water and spices/dried fruit/nuts to it for a quick breakfast. I am also as content to munch on mangoes and almonds for breakfast.

Oh, and there are nut butters, peanut butter, tahini....goes great on sliced apples, celery, rice cakes. Many grocery stores have deli hummus that is gluten free vegan and great to add to salads or in leafy wraps etc.

Hope this helps!

One of my favorite gluten free vegan meals is simply peeling, slicing and steaming some sweet potato, and mix it with canned black beans, steamed kale, coconut shreds, a splash of plant milk and some spices like curry powder, cinnamon, garlic powder. If you want to make a big batch of it this dish keeps in a tight fitting tupperware for lunches/dinners for four or so days.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are some other threads that discuss gluten free vegan ideas:

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21...ree-vegan.html

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/18...n-free-dishes/

And some gluten free vegan sites around the web:

http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/

https://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.wordpress.com/

and finally, here are some products from Amy's that are gluten free and vegan:
http://www.annies.com/products/special-diets?q=75,129

And some other gluten free vegan products:
http://us.daiyafoods.com/
http://barbaras.com/commitment/speci...y-needs/vegan/
http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/?gcl...FdgHgQodijQAvg
Tiger Lilly and overcasst like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2015, 03:36 AM
what is a user title ...

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I will definitely refer to your list and I will also check those links out. Much appreciated

If things look weird, it's because this was... Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
#5 Old 03-03-2015, 05:21 AM

I agree with Nature bound. It's worth it to spend a day making healthy meals and stashing them in the freezer. I work as a flight attendant so this is what I do to survive my trips! You can make a double batch of whatever you are already making for dinner and freeze the leftovers in individual portions.
Spaghetti squash, chili, sweet and sour tofu with fried rice, spring rolls, lentil soup and pumpkin anytime squares (from ohsheglows) are some of my favorites!
Naturebound and overcasst like this.
#6 Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 AM

Hi, I'm in the same boat and trying to think about what I can eat. It isn't easy as I love burritos and other wraps and while you can buy gluten free wraps, they are usually horrible. I eat some gluten free pasta which is easy to buy in the UK, plus eat a lot of rice (i.e in risottos and as an accompaniment), quinoea, buckwheat and millet to vary my diet. Obviously I eat lots of lentils, peas, beans and seeds too. Not so keen in nuts. For me soups and casseroles and dishes such as dahl are the order of the day.
overcasst likes this.
#7 Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm also gf and vegan! One super-duper awesome investment I made was buying a rice cooker. It was second-hand, so on the cheap, and I use it almost everyday! Just plopping some scoops of rice in a bowl, adding water and pushing a button is my idea of easy cooking! You still have to wait for it to cook, but atleast you can get other things done while you wait if you're pressed for time. Dump a can of lentils or other beans, splash on some condiments like soy sauce and hot sauce and you've got a pretty speedy meal, especially if you cooked the rice ahead of time and kept it in the fridge in individual-sized portions! It may not be super original or fancy, but it works.

I will second the suggestion of fruit. My breakfast during the week is always a smoothie. It doesn't take long to make at all, and I just plop it in a big bottle and have it on the go on my drive to work.

Rice vermicelli cooks in about 2 minutes, and it should be easy to find a gf vegan tomato pasta sauce to drizzle over.

If you follow Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's advice and chop up your veggies as soon as you get back from the grocery store before putting them away in the fridge, instead of waiting to chop them before your cooking, you can easily make a quick stir fry with your pre-chopped veggies and pre-cooked rice. I make my sauce for it with veggie stock powder, soy sauce, water and corn starch, sometimes a dash of montreal steak spice.

Using the above method, you can also do a curry in a jiffy by using a curry powder or paste and a can of coconut milk instead of the stir fry sauce.

Amy's brand also has some vegan and gf soups that I supplement with a starch to make it filling like a can or corn, rice vermicelli, rice, quinoa, millet, or polenta (polenta cooks really quickly!).

There are also some baking potatoes that you can cook in the microwave, though I'm not in the habit of doing this so can't give any pointers.

Hope this helps!!
overcasst likes this.

Last edited by azerea_02; 03-03-2015 at 10:19 AM.
#8 Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 PM
what is a user title ...

Gluten free & vegan- help!

Thanks everyone! I have been taking screenshots of all these ideas. Can't wait to go grocery shopping! I'll def set aside some time once a week I can manage that lol, I can already tell that since being straight up vegan I have liked cooking a lot more. Thanks again !!!
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by overcasst; 03-03-2015 at 03:36 PM.
#9 Old 03-03-2015, 06:51 PM

Lightbulb Cooking is the way!

I agree, cooking is really the way to go to have total control over what you eat. I am also super busy, but starting taking Sun afternoons to cook a bunch of things for the week. I like to make veg bowls with a delicious sauce, so I'll roast up carrots, beets, cauliflower (I love the purple kind!), and then sautee greens and add a bean, chickpeas or a white bean. I'll also make a pesto or roasted red pepper sauce to put on top- SO delicious. Then all of my lunches are good for the week, I just grab a bit of everything. I learned this from this cooking app my boyfriend showed me last year (he was like, ok we need to eat better! and was the one who convinced me to go Vegan). It was really hard at first but this app has a ton of vegan recipes, and really teaches you how to cook with lots of pictures. Love it! It's actually free, www.sidechef.com/download oh and I hear Amy's brand makes awesome vegan/gf frozen meals!!
#10 Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 AM
what is a user title ...

Thanks everyone! I've been cooking on Mondays

If things look weird, it's because this was... Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
#11 Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Yay! How's it working out for you? Have you found any share worthy recipes?
#12 Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Impeach the gangster

Sorry I'm getting in on this so late. Some vegan, gluten-free products I get are-

LightLife Smart Dogs (hotdogs)
Daiya Pizza
Amy's makes some products that are vegan & GF. Amy's makes about half a dozen varieties of Mac & Cheese, but only one of them is both vegan & GF. Some of their Mexican dinners and a meat-loaf dinner fit the bill.

Ian's make breaded onion rings, both v & gf.
Schar breads are pretty good.
Beyond Meat chick'n strips, beef crumbles, sliders, Beast Burgers, and Italian meat balls.

Hope this info is useful to you.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Tags
allergies , gluten free , meals , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page