• 3 Post By TerriNC
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By MozIsMyShepherd
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By TerriNC

#1 Old 02-28-2015, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Health Coaching

It looks like I'll be doing some health coaching soon!

Some of you on here know my story. Basically, I've been eating plant-based (extremely healthy vegan) for over two years and was able to cure some health issues that were progressively worsening. Since that time, I've informally helped a number of people discover this WOE and begin the healing process, including 5 family members. I have completed my certification in Plant-Based Nutrition through Cornell University, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies, and I am in the process of trying to become licensed to teach Food for Life Classes, sponsored by Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, in my area. My whole story is on the 'About' page of my blog, if anyone is interested.

I'm not a nutritionist. My degree is in business, and I'm an office manager at a small local company. My plan is to hopefully teach the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's Food for Life classes, in addition to my office job, at least for awhile.

Recently, a friend that owns a local fitness club where I took yoga messaged me and asked if she could give my name to one of their clients that needed some nutrition/cooking advice, and I said sure.

I met with this wonderful family yesterday, and they need a Health Coach. I told them that I'm not a nutritionist and have only taught a few classes on cooking and this WOE (not through PCRM), but hope to teach FFL classes in the near future. I've never considered doing anything one-on-one like being a Health Coach before. Though I had come up with a tentative plan of action to present to them, I had no idea what to charge. I told them my plan and price, and they laughed. They said they loved my plan, but the price was not going to happen. I'll be getting about 50% more than I had asked! How amazing is that?!

They are completely satisfied working within the limited capacity I'll be able to serve, due to not being a nutritionist. They had already hired a nutritionist in the past, but the results weren't what they had hoped. I'll be going to their home once a week for 2-1/2 hours to teach them to prepare 2-3 recipes each visit and discuss this WOE, help them set goals, and basically be an encourager and source of support. They'll continue to get fitness support from my friend's fitness club. I told them they'll need to see their family physician first and get the okay with this, as well as base line blood work, and follow-ups for any adjustments to medications they might need. Luckily, there's a local internist that is completely onboard with Plant-based Whole food eating, and even has copies of Forks Over Knives DVDs and other books for his patients to checkout in his lobby.

With their doctor's consent, I'll be excited to see where this leads! It has basically fallen into my lap, and I'm very excited to see where it goes! I can't imagine anything more rewarding than helping people like this...and they came looking for ME! Just wow!

EatPlant-Based.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Terri that is fantastic! You'll be able to see their progress into healthier eating too, what a great oppurtunity!
#3 Old 02-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Lovable misanthrope

How cool! Hope it goes well and you enjoy it, good luck!
TerriNC likes this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

That's great! You come across here as someone I'd like to have help me!
Actually, reading your posts does help with the kick in the butt I've been trying to give myself!
Wow about the price though! That's amazing.

? WOE? way of eating?
TerriNC likes this.
#5 Old 03-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited to see how this goes, and yes Silva, the price thing is what was so amazing! They could've just said, "Heck, yea!" and took my price, which I really thought was reasonable. They are just an amazing family and wanted to make sure I was well compensated for my time. I didn't even know them-that's the crazy thing! And it says so much about their character, and makes me that much MORE excited to work with them. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. Giddy here!

Oh, yes, WOE is my lazy way of saying 'way of eating.' lol!
LedBoots likes this.

EatPlant-Based.com

Last edited by TerriNC; 03-02-2015 at 07:14 AM.
#6 Old 03-20-2015, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, as of this week, I've had 3 Health Coaching sessions with my new clients! It is going WONDERFULLY! Everyone is enjoying the food and having a blast learning to make new things in the kitchen. And, to top it off, they are starting to see results!

The 23 year old daughter is seeing some improvement in her depression/ anxiety and is feeling less tired. This week, when I went in, she was dressed differently too. Normally, she has on large, baggy sweat clothes, but this week she had on jeans and layered t-shirts that weren't loose. Her confidence is definitely up, and she seems so happy, which makes me smile all over the place! Last week, my phone rang while I was there, and it was my 23 year old daughter that lives far away, so I quickly answered to make sure everything was alright. My client, same age as my daughter, leaned over to the phone and shouted, "Your mom is awesome!" My daughter giggled proudly. OMGosh, that made my day!

The mom looks like the picture of health, but she's a kidney transplant recipient. She only has one kidney, and it's not hers. She's evidentially a blessed, long-term survivor. She has to take medication to suppress her immune system, so her body will not reject the kidney. She went to the doctor for her regular monitoring this week, and for the first time EVER, the doctor needed to reduce her medication! I honestly can't say that it had anything to do with her new healthier eating, but wasn't the timely ironic??! She feels it has everything to do with her new lifestyle.

Isn't it amazing the progress in just 3 weeks? I'm so thrilled! Being a part of these people's lives and transition to regaining their health is....I can't even put it into words really.... this is what I meant to do, I can feel it!

EatPlant-Based.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page