Vegan on the Cheap - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 4 Post By River
  • 1 Post By brookgirl
  • 2 Post By Auxin
  • 2 Post By Spudulika
  • 1 Post By faded_amaranth
  • 1 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Vegan on the Cheap

Elephant Journal posted a great article about being vegan on the cheap:

Quote:
One of the wackiest misconceptions about veganism is that it’s expensive.

Maybe it is if you insist on buying organic, fair-trade, artisan prepackaged meals, but that’s not necessary. It’s not even all that good for you.

Legumes, whole grains and inexpensive fresh produce kept me going strong when I was a dirt-poor undergrad who lived alone. I made pastas, stews, Indian fare, gumbos and jambalayas for dinner, had oatmeal and an apple for breakfast and ate leftovers for lunch.
http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/...emma-hudelson/
Purp, LedBoots, David3 and 1 others like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Lovable misanthrope
 
MozIsMyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 1,398
Her 15 dollar a week list would last me 2-3 days, so I don't know how one could live a week off of that... Saying that I'm trying hard to just concentrate on fresh things like lots of veg and fruit and pulses. Vegan specific items like vegan milk and cheese are far from cheap though.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
MozIsMyShepherd is offline  
#3 Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 131
I don't think I could get that for $15, and I don't think it would be enough variety for a full week for me.
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.
brookgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Oryzatarian
 
Auxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USDA z7a
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Her 15 dollar a week list would last me 2-3 days
lol, I did the math and her list would supply 900 Calories per day for a week. So yeah, that would last me 2.5 days.

I'm in a good area, if I buy in 25 lb bags I can get brown rice, dry beans, barley, and rolled oats each for $0.95-1.05 per 2,400 Calories so theyre the foundation of my diet. Lentils and chickpeas are a few cents more. The rest of my money can go into veggies, apples, and spices. Factor in my garden and I'm a really cheap vegan.
LedBoots and MozIsMyShepherd like this.
Auxin is offline  
#5 Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Spudulika's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,099
Vegan is more expensive when you're trying to fit in to other people's dietary lifestyles by using a lot of ready made foods and subs. For example having vegan cheese on your pizza when they're having cow cheese. Or having some kind of bought vegan pie as a vegan sub for their chicken pie. Or having vegan meatballs instead of regular meatballs. This kind of cooking over the weeks and months means you're spending out on both expensive meat and dairy, and often more expensive processed vegan alternatives as well.

On the other side of the spectrum where you don't have to make those kinds of compromises, vegan is super cheap. No meat or dairy means some of the most expensive items on the regular omni shopping list are entirely removed. While adding in bulk whole food staples like grains, pulses and seeds means that a lot of your menus will work out far, far cheaper than on a standard omni diet.

I've found that the more you can encourage your partner to eat veg with you, the cheaper all of it gets. Of course opting to do the cooking, is one quite effective way to encourage them to do that.
Windigo and LedBoots like this.
Spudulika is offline  
#6 Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Unintentionally Kittened
 
faded_amaranth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 683
I've been feeding myself on about an average of $20 or less a week for the past few months. Luckily I do have a decently stocked pantry and there's a great grocery outlet near me. But I can't wait for spring when I'll be working full time again and there will be more produce in season.

Speaking of fair trade and organic, the well being of the humans in the food industry is important me. I know veganism doesn't directly cover these issues but the same ethics that cause me to not eat animal products also apply to human animals. It just seems to be so much easier to cut out animal foods than it is to buy food that is perfectly ethical from a human perspective.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
faded_amaranth is offline  
#7 Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post
I've been feeding myself on about an average of $20 or less a week for the past few months. Luckily I do have a decently stocked pantry and there's a great grocery outlet near me. But I can't wait for spring when I'll be working full time again and there will be more produce in season.

Speaking of fair trade and organic, the well being of the humans in the food industry is important me. I know veganism doesn't directly cover these issues but the same ethics that cause me to not eat animal products also apply to human animals. It just seems to be so much easier to cut out animal foods than it is to buy food that is perfectly ethical from a human perspective.
What kind of things do you buy on that budget?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#8 Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Unintentionally Kittened
 
faded_amaranth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
What kind of things do you buy on that budget?
Anything from past date dried beans and dented cans of tomatoes to perfectly good kombucha and fair trade avocados- I really lucked out with the grocery outlet.
For regular grocery stores I look at the weekly ad and find recipes based on whats on sale/in season and make a list before I go. I make recipes that have usually have 4-8 servings and I live off of left overs.
River likes this.

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
faded_amaranth is offline  
#9 Old 02-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Beginner
 
scwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 126
I could probably buy the items on her list for around $20 where I live, but it would not be enough variety for me
scwendy is offline  
#10 Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Lovable misanthrope
 
MozIsMyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 1,398
I probably spend about £60 week on food for myself only. I guess prices really vary depending on where you are. If I was to shop in waitrose or marks and spencer it would be a lot more. Sometimes I shop in lidl which is the cheapest it gets around here, but it's quite vegan unfriendly as you can't get any plant milk or yogurt there and their cat food is vile and bread is such low quality that it goes mouldy within 2-3 days. So basically lidl leaves much to be desired and since I don't have the time to attend more than 1 supermarket while on a shopping trip I end up in sainsburys for as it's got all I need and it's of reliable quality

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
MozIsMyShepherd is offline  
#11 Old 02-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Thanks for posting River

I'm not 100% sure how much I spend on food per week...

I know that there are cheaper options and more expensive options though...If I eat marinated tofu for dinner that's £1.80. If I eat plain soya mince that's only 63p. It's up to you how "fancy" you want to eat
Go Vegan is offline  
#12 Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
lol, I did the math and her list would supply 900 Calories per day for a week. So yeah, that would last me 2.5 days.

I'm in a good area, if I buy in 25 lb bags I can get brown rice, dry beans, barley, and rolled oats each for $0.95-1.05 per 2,400 Calories so theyre the foundation of my diet. Lentils and chickpeas are a few cents more. The rest of my money can go into veggies, apples, and spices. Factor in my garden and I'm a really cheap vegan.
I need a little under 1800 perday (if I'm not excersizing vigorously) and I'm a small/slim lady.... 900 cals per day would be starvation for me.

I think my 6 year old eats at least 1500 perday!
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#13 Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.F.E but I like it ;)
Posts: 1,028
I spend between 60- 150 bucks a week, including diapers and pet food, shampoo and other personal care items.

We eat lots of soup, sandwiches, fruit (dried, fresh, or frozen, veggies (fresh or frozen) and get the bulk of our calories from starches.
melimomTARDIS is offline  
#14 Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
BiteSizeVegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 665
very informative article- being vegan is so much cheaper than people think, especially when you take into account long term medical expenses

--------
Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BiteSizeVegan is offline  
#15 Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 AM
The prowling wolf
 
Windigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amersfoort, Nederland
Posts: 878
It can be easy and cheap to live on a vegan diet for sure; I spend about 35-40 euro's a week on vegan produce which makes up the bulk of my shopping.

It helps to visit ethnic stores like arabian or chinese supermarkets as those usually stock cheaper fruit and vegetables than regular stores and usually provide a good variety of beans and pulses and other cheap vegetable protein. A big bunch of fresh parsley for example might cost me 50 cents in an ethnic store and up to 2 whole euros in a supermarket. The only difference is that one is prepackaged and the other is not.

I usually buy at least two kilo's of potatoes, a whole cabbage or cauliflower, a bunch of carrots and onions as the bare essentials. Those veggies alone can already combine into a nice meal; for example a roast or a curry.

Also a lot of vegan foods are available in tins, like canned tomatoes, beans and cabbage; saving storage space and money at the same time. If you have a good basic cupboad stacked with those, a bit of flour, rice, pastas and spices you're good to go for almost anything. Coconut milk and nuts and seeds come in handy too.

Being vegan can be very cheap as soon as you've covered those basics. If you've got a good pantry, all you ever have to go out for is fresh fruit and veg and maybe bread; and maybe once a month to stock up your cupboard.

Cheap can be easy
LedBoots likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
Windigo is offline  
#16 Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
It can be easy and cheap to live on a vegan diet for sure; I spend about 35-40 euro's a week on vegan produce which makes up the bulk of my shopping.

It helps to visit ethnic stores like arabian or chinese supermarkets as those usually stock cheaper fruit and vegetables than regular stores and usually provide a good variety of beans and pulses and other cheap vegetable protein. A big bunch of fresh parsley for example might cost me 50 cents in an ethnic store and up to 2 whole euros in a supermarket. The only difference is that one is prepackaged and the other is not.

I usually buy at least two kilo's of potatoes, a whole cabbage or cauliflower, a bunch of carrots and onions as the bare essentials. Those veggies alone can already combine into a nice meal; for example a roast or a curry.

Also a lot of vegan foods are available in tins, like canned tomatoes, beans and cabbage; saving storage space and money at the same time. If you have a good basic cupboad stacked with those, a bit of flour, rice, pastas and spices you're good to go for almost anything. Coconut milk and nuts and seeds come in handy too.

Being vegan can be very cheap as soon as you've covered those basics. If you've got a good pantry, all you ever have to go out for is fresh fruit and veg and maybe bread; and maybe once a month to stock up your cupboard.

Cheap can be easy
Sing it, sister!
Windigo likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off