Is anyone here a long term vegan? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

#31 Old 02-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Honestly, once you're vegan for long enough and are eating a proper well-balanced diet, it becomes habit exactly like the food you're buying now. As a side note that I did not mention before, one way to make sure you're eating lots of different vitamins and nutrients is to eat a variety of colors of food. Check out the book Color Me Vegan. It has some AMAZING information and recipes.

About the nuts,
one problem with too many nuts is high calories and fats, so if you are looking to maintain or lose weight, you might not want to eat like a pound of peanuts.
scwendy likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks River - I'll be sure to check that book out. Although, I'm generally very very unmotivated to cook (I'm hoping veganism will help me with this) which stems from a general massive anxiety about meals .... snacking I can do, big 'proper' meals are terrifying...

and yes, I'm extremely underweight so if fat/calories are the only danger from nuts, I hope it's Ok to keep eating them.... I'm still a bit worried about eating quite so many. I practically live on them!

Today for the FIRST TIME I was able to answer the question 'are you vegetarian?' with 'no actually I'm vegan'....! Felt proud but nervous about being a bit of an outsider and people judging me. But hey I'm old enough (34) that I should have more confidence in myself now. Need to stick to my guns and stop apologising for myself and stop worrying so much about what other people think.

Oh sorry for that, went off on one a bit then!

thanks again xx
#33 Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

If you are underweight, you should add some oils into your diet as well to beef up the calories. I usually cook with a light olive or sunflower oil. You might also benefit from eating more caloric fruits like coconuts and bananas.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM

To be clear regarding the two people I know who returned to eating water-life and said their health improved.... Neither of them attributed their health problems to veganism at all. One had been ill before going veg and then vegan. The other developed health problems while vegan. Both remained pescevegetarians in diet and "vegan" in lifestyle.
#35 Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly View Post
To be clear regarding the two people I know who returned to eating water-life and said their health improved.... Neither of them attributed their health problems to veganism at all. One had been ill before going veg and then vegan. The other developed health problems while vegan. Both remained pescevegetarians in diet and "vegan" in lifestyle.
How can one be pesceveg in diet and vegan in lifestyle? If you eat animal products your lifestyle can't be vegan for that alone, right?

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#36 Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Beginner

I have been a vegan for less than 10 years but a vegan diet allows the worst foods for health in your diet like you could have a diet of gummy bears and diet soda. Also you can eat all the trans fat that you want. The FDA is considering banning trans fat. A more limiting diet is the raw vegan diet and there are lots of testimonials about this diet.

The banana girl is famous and she had all sorts of health problems and the raw vegan diet got rid of them. The Hallelujah Acres group have been around over 10 years and they eat all vegan and 85% raw. They had people suffering severe anxiety and severe depression and all sorts of problems that become completely healed.

Maybe you would like a society where there is no rape but that has never existed so maybe that would be bad for health. Also stupid people can hurt themselves with any lifestyle. For example there are gas additives that make a car work better. But someone can drink it and die due to lack of intelligence. One guy that was vegetarian died at 56 and had all sorts of problems, but he was the most powerful person in modern history-- Adolf Hitler.

A 13 year old girl had terminal brain cancer meaning the she will die soon for sure. She became a raw vegan and the cancer hated that and left her body and she was healed. One guy was in a debate against the vegan diet. He said that the vegan diet made him depressed. His opponent happened to read the whole article that this guy wrote. He was depressed before becoming a vegan, while being a vegan and after he quit being a vegan.

But here is the best one-- Lierre Keith that wrote the Vegetarian Myth. She says that the vegan diet destroyed her health and she is regarded as being smart. She says on Youtube that vegans have no cholesterol in their body so they cannot make any sex hormones. If you have no cholesterol in your body, you cannot have any sex hormones, that is true.

Now this statement is as dumb as me saying that a mean person has no blood in their arteries. You cannot be alive with no blood and no one can live a minute with no cholesterol in their body. So she thinks that they only way an animal can get cholesterol is by consuming it. Well a cow has cholesterol but consumes no cholesterol that is only in animals. A pig that is fed no meat has cholesterol so where did he get it? Most of the cholesterol in humans is created by the liver. So animals have cholesterol since their liver produces it. I wonder if she believes that the only way to get blood is to drink blood.

Now I feel bad for anyone as stupid as this, but how can they be healthy? The above is so crazy, what kind of crazy things do people like this do. Maybe they eat dirt or bob for French fries. Did you know that there are people who drink their urine for health? Just do a search for it. Do any eat their manure for health? This is a true story. One guy said that he would eat a whole car. So everyday he filed some of the car and ate it. He died. So what does Einstein say about the above. This is a great saying. "The Difference Between Stupidity and Genius Is That Genius Has Its Limits."

Here is a news story. A guy went into a liquor store to rob it with a gun. He demanded the money and the clerk gave it to him. He demanded some liquor. The clerk said that he could not give it to him without seeing his ID to make sure that he was over 21. So the crook gave it to him. 30 minutes later the police were at his house arresting him.

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by neo77; 02-26-2015 at 11:13 PM.
#37 Old 02-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Lovable misanthrope

No nuts can't be bad for you, provided you are not allergic which you obviously aren't. They provide you with essential fats and calories and lots of vitamins. Here's exact composition for every type of nut out there
http://www.nutsforlife.com.au/wp-con...er-2014-HR.pdf

Nutritional yeast adds nutrients, hence the name, calories and delicious flavour to your food. It's very versatile and can be added to cooking, smoothies, sauces and to to meals just before serving

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#38 Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
How can one be pesceveg in diet and vegan in lifestyle? If you eat animal products your lifestyle can't be vegan for that alone, right?
I put vegan in quotes to show that it was used to indicate the irony. I think I was clear, if not absolutelypositivelyincredibly precise, in differentiating diet from the rest of her lifestyle. In order to be super clear....

She is a pescevegetarian who does refrain from using or supporting the use of nonhumans in all other ways.

My posts weren't intended to do anything other than add to the part of the discussion that addressed people who claimed to feel better after adding animals back into their diets. Someone seemed to suggest that the two people I know attributed their ill-health to veganism. I was trying to clear that up. I wasn't defending or criticizing their decisions because I cannot truly know their experiences. Not a big deal, really.

Where's the icon for a ::heavy sigh:: ?
#39 Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Isn't the word pescetarian? Why throw veg in there when people are confused enough about what vegetarian, lacto, ovo, and vegan mean?
River likes this.
#40 Old 03-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Isn't the word pescetarian? Why throw veg in there when people are confused enough about what vegetarian, lacto, ovo, and vegan mean?
You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I wrote it that way; I really do know better. Thanks for pointing it out (seriously).
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#41 Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I wrote it that way; I really do know better. Thanks for pointing it out (seriously).
I know it sounds picky pick, but I was just looking at a new restaurant opening near me and the Vegetarian section was full of fish options. :sigh: Happens so often.

On the bright side, the restaurant does have some dishes easily made vegan, leave off cheese or whatever.
Purp likes this.
#42 Old 03-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I put vegan in quotes to show that it was used to indicate the irony. I think I was clear, if not absolutelypositivelyincredibly precise, in differentiating diet from the rest of her lifestyle. In order to be super clear....

She is a pescevegetarian who does refrain from using or supporting the use of nonhumans in all other ways.

My posts weren't intended to do anything other than add to the part of the discussion that addressed people who claimed to feel better after adding animals back into their diets. Someone seemed to suggest that the two people I know attributed their ill-health to veganism. I was trying to clear that up. I wasn't defending or criticizing their decisions because I cannot truly know their experiences. Not a big deal, really.

Where's the icon for a ::heavy sigh:: ?
Don't bother defending yourself from members who try to out-vegan eachother, attack you, or try to pick apart what you wrote to find fault in you. It's a pointless waste of time.
Purp likes this.
#43 Old 03-19-2015, 03:19 PM

To the OP, for inspiration on plant based lifestyle and to see a wealth of people who do amazing things on a vegan diet, Google 'Rich Roll' and find his pod cast, Rich himself is an inspiration and many of the people he interviews have wonderfully positive stories and outlooks.

I am 20+ years vegetarian and limit dairy but in a mixed omnivore/ veggie household we need to find a balance that works for us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp likes this.
#44 Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Lima, how are you getting on? I already shared with you my history of disordered eating, but I'll add that my BMI has been consistently within the normal range since I've been vegan. It's absolutely possible to gain weight and to maintain a healthy weight as long as you allow yourself a variety of vegan foods, including fats and carbohydrates. Someone above mentioned cooking with oil, and I have to agree! Olive oil for pasta and salad, and toasted sesame oil for Asian-style stir fry are my favourites.
Purp and Beets&Beats like this.
#45 Old 03-22-2015, 01:53 AM

hiya No Whey :-)

It's great! Vegan food is so nice. I wouldn't call myself a vegan though. That raises too many issues. For now I would just describe myself as someone who limits purchanse and use of animal products.
I saw my mum yesterday for the first time in a month and she said I looked much better so the vegan diet must be doing me some good! :-)
honestly though, very very little has changed; the only animal foods I was eating before was a bit of milk in hot drinks (ok, I did have a LOT of hot drinks so it added up...) and yoghurt each evening. I always felt really bad about dairy but for some reason thought it was 'necessary' for the protein and nutrients. Now, I have the confidence to challenge that assumption (when I was seeing a dietician she thought dairy was absolutely crucial and I thought I had to believe her)
The other things I have given up are fizzy drinks, artificial sweeteners, coffee, added sugar, and alcohol. And I've ditched the white grains and only have brown now.

I prefer to believe it was veganism which makes me feel better though I have a niggling feeling it might be all the processed junk I was having before..... hee hee :-)
Beets&Beats likes this.
#46 Old 03-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Those are some really healthy changes! You should feel proud. Just be sure to eat enough, of course. Even eating a bit too much is better than not enough, especially if you're hoping to get your BMI in the normal range. You sound like you're doing really well!
#47 Old 03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck in all you do. As was said a healthy...key word "healthy" balanced vegan diet and longevity and good health are comparable.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn is my role model. He's been vegan since the 1980's and is 81 years old know...he's active, he's on no medications and is healthy beyond what most 81 years olds are. His wife is in the same excellent health. His son has been vegan the same amount of time and his in his 50's in such robust health he puts 20 years olds to shame.

When it comes to longevity people on the meat eating Western diet get heart disease, diabetes and cancer and no one bats an eye. Mention veganism and they go mad.

Study after study proves that nuts are health. Still, too much of anything isn't good, including nuts. You shouldn't "practically live" on them or any one food. Eating a wide variety of foods that include some nuts is fine (I love nuts!).

Last edited by Tweety; 03-22-2015 at 10:23 AM.
#48 Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
I found this thread when searching for something to show a friend who told me it's 'great that you're feeling good but there's a reason nobody thrives long-term as a vegan and the most enthusiastic people are fairly new to it. Just think of it as a cleanse that's doing you wonders and be ok with going back to at least vegetarian in a few years.'.

Everyone's covered the points I made above, already, but the one I find most fascinating is the one about veganism needing to prove itself over generations. That seems strange to me considering there are many things we do (that we don't even do because we feel better doing them or their more sustainable which is a pretty good reason to experiment and evolve, no?!) that we don't trial for generations and just make The Way It Is because change happens.
Sort of like the paleo crap... Even if they were eating the way our ancestors did (which they aren't...) who says we have to eat the same as those people? Who says we can't have found a better way of doing it and adapted to a planet that (we've made) entirely different to theirs etc.? Bah. Just such a strange arguement.

Anyway, I was vegan for a long while then not for about two years and now am again and that doesn't count as 'long term' so it's nice to read about people who HAVE 'survived' long term and I'm sure there will be more and more stories about this emerging .
Thankyou for sharing yours!
Purp likes this.
#49 Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
hiya No Whey :-)

It's great! Vegan food is so nice. I wouldn't call myself a vegan though. That raises too many issues. For now I would just describe myself as someone who limits purchanse and use of animal products.
I saw my mum yesterday for the first time in a month and she said I looked much better so the vegan diet must be doing me some good! :-)
honestly though, very very little has changed; the only animal foods I was eating before was a bit of milk in hot drinks (ok, I did have a LOT of hot drinks so it added up...) and yoghurt each evening. I always felt really bad about dairy but for some reason thought it was 'necessary' for the protein and nutrients. Now, I have the confidence to challenge that assumption (when I was seeing a dietician she thought dairy was absolutely crucial and I thought I had to believe her)
The other things I have given up are fizzy drinks, artificial sweeteners, coffee, added sugar, and alcohol. And I've ditched the white grains and only have brown now.

I prefer to believe it was veganism which makes me feel better though I have a niggling feeling it might be all the processed junk I was having before..... hee hee :-)
Sounds like you've find a great way to do things and I totally resonate with a lot of what you've said!
And I too gained weight successfully as a vegan for the first time ever.
These days I find it a lot easier to maintain my weight as a vegan as well. My brief flirtation with returning to omnivore after CD diagnosis I lost more weight than I had when I was sick (and sick with anorexia about a decade (woah!) before that at school). Gained it back almost immediately when I went back to foods that my soul felt happy about, that tasted better and also that provided me with more calories than the boiled veg and forced-in lean chicken breasts or yoghurt I was eating.
It's easy to fill up and lose weight as a vegan if you need to but it's also easy to get a lot of really healthy calories!
Purp likes this.
#50 Old 07-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
I found this thread when searching for something to show a friend who told me it's 'great that you're feeling good but there's a reason nobody thrives long-term as a vegan and the most enthusiastic people are fairly new to it. Just think of it as a cleanse that's doing you wonders and be ok with going back to at least vegetarian in a few years.'.

It amazes me that people like your (loving and well-intentioned) friend can so confidently make non-evidence-based statements like that. It's epidemic though; people constantly make proclamations about topics that they've never studied, based on claims that they read on a forum, or read in a popular diet book, or heard at the gym.

Rather than asking your friend to believe that we (complete strangers) are thriving on a vegan diet, you can instead show them that even mainstream medical and health organizations have stated that properly-planned vegan diets are healthy:

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of Registered Dietitians. It is their position that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."
Link: http://www.eatrightpro.org/resource/...getarian-diets

Kaiser Permanente is one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States. Kaiser Permanente has published its own Plant Based Diet guide, and it's completely vegan: https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/w...et-booklet.pdf

The American Diabetes Association states that "a vegetarian diet is a healthy option, even if you have diabetes. Research supports that following this type of diet can help prevent and manage diabetes. In fact, research on vegan diets has found that carbohydrate and calorie restrictions were not necessary and still promoted weight loss and lowered participants' A1C."
Link: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...r-vegetarians/

Purp and LedBoots like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 07-13-2016 at 05:22 PM.
#51 Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

What he said. ^^

But if you want examples, my husband, my son, and I have been vegan about twelve years. We are in our 50's, son early 20's. So far, so good, all healthy.
Beets&Beats likes this.
#52 Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

David, yes, amazing indeed and yes numerous studies support veganism etc. but some people don't trust newer things or things that don't have hundreds of years of culture behind them (although as noted above there has been some of that with veganism). I guess my point is that I find that strange because there's lots of stuff we haven't always done that we embrace now as bettering the world (modern medicine alone holds many of them! Or the near abolition of human sacrifice and death penalties. Or something like WIFI that we're all immersed in and only have been very recently! Despite being pretty sure that's safe it counts as a 'new thing proven safe' so why doesn't veganism count in that camp?).
People pick and choose what they label as improvement or evolution of tradition...

Ledboots, that's just so rad to hear. I will never get sick of reading stuff like that and I'm excited to be sharing a similar story in future!
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page