Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By symn
  • 1 Post By atkinsaj
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 AM

Post Veggie Burger Recipes

Hey guys,

I've been reading the boards for a while, but I nearly never post. So, hello! I'll start by saying that I don't have any vegan/vegetarian friends, and my family is omnivorous though very supportive. That said, it's been so hard to go vegan without a buddy/friend going with me.

I've been transitioning-vegan/gluten-free for about 4 months now (I made it through thanksgiving!), but occasionally find that something has dairy/meat/gluten in it, and I give up and finish it. I think this is contributing to an issue I call "The Cheeseburger Dilemma."

Each time I start more carefully watching what I'm eating (when eating out, etc.) to ensure it's vegan, I find myself craving *cheeseburgers*. It's awful! I "remember" the taste of one when I ate meat, but it's not the *actual* taste. It's as though my mind has created a new taste profile of a cheeseburger that simply cannot be obtained through an actual cheeseburger.

I know this fact because I broke down and ate a bite of my husband's during a former Dilemma, just to see if that is really what I was craving; it was so nasty. Just awful. And that was from my formerly favorite burger place! So, I don't actually crave the cheeseburger itself, which makes my transition a lot easier.

However, I still want the delicious cheeseburger experience. So, what is YOUR favorite cheeseburger recipe? I'd love to have a stockpile so I can have a new go-to burger when I'm craving hard.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2015, 09:42 AM

Oh, I thought I would add my favorite veggieburger recipe as well.

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/03/spi...y-baked-fries/
#3 Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I've found that a liberal sprinkling of nutritional yeast over vegan mayo is a good cheezy sauce. I like to a pinch of red pepper.

The closest vegan burgers I've had that I like are Gardein. If Beyond Meat comes out with a patty I'd try that, their beefy crumbles are a bit too beefy though, but I liked their seasoned crumbles, feisty beefy, on a Mexican Pizza.

If you've got a Aldi try their Chipotle Veggie burgers while they have them! They're very much veggie, and are vegan, and really good! Definitely not a sub for a beef burger though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Nutritional yeast is something I recently discovered! Omg, yum. I am so sad I didn't know about this at the start of my vegan journey, because dairy has been SO HARD to give up completely (milk chocolate? cheddar cheese?).

I tried Gardein and I like them pretty good. Good suggestion! Unfortunately, I don't have an Aldi here, but I have a whole foods. I wonder if that's comparable?

Also, if you want a "beefy crumble" alternative, try this: cooked lentils, cumin, and *walnuts*. It's amazing for tacos.
#5 Old 02-20-2015, 03:08 AM
Veggie Regular

These are some of my favorite veggie burger recipes I have tried:

http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarte...r-beet-burger/ (this one is not totally gluten free with adding the bread crumbs but you could substitute oats maybe)

http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/medit...burgers-vegan/

http://breakfastdramaqueen.com/2014/...s-gluten-free/

I was never a huge meat eater and wasn't a fan of cheeseburgers at all so I am not sure how the above recipes would hold up to what you are looking for, but they are great in their own way. Shredded beets just do something magical to make food taste better with the right seasonings. They add a tangy colorful texture.

My Mom eats gluten free and likes these commercial gluten free veggie burgers from Amy's:

http://www.amys.com/products/product...burgers/000281

I tried them just one time a long time ago and they were ok but I am a stickler for homemade stuff. But I think they had more of a "meaty" burger kind of feel to them?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM

+1 on the beet burgers from ppk. Those are my absolute favorite but I love anything/everything from Isa.
Naturebound likes this.
#7 Old 02-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#8 Old 02-21-2015, 03:19 AM
Vegan as f**k

Hi there

I would buy a vegan burger made by VBites or some other vegan food brand in Holland and Barrett

Tags
recipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page