• 3 Post By Kyron Taylor
  • 1 Post By veganeevi
  • 1 Post By veganeevi
  • 3 Post By dropscone
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 1 Post By rasitha.wijesekera

#1 Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 PM

"vegan" restraunt serving not vegan food

So I recently started working at a coffee shop, serving up milk lattes and feedig people turkey sandwhiches is basicly my least favorite thing to do........ever...but I was glad going into this job knowing there are vegan and vegetarian options, and therefore understanding and welcoming towards it, soymilk, almond milk, pre packaged cookies - that stuffs great but the food is where it gets compilcated

-and fact it's advertised as a vegan and vegetarian restraunt which its not-, there is only 2 things on the food menu that are veg. the hummus platter and the veggie wrap and sometimes soups- but thats better than most places....before working here-as a customer I looked at reveiws of their food, lots of people said they were "acomaditing to vegans, just ask for no cheese on the veggie wrap" -seemed legitamite and like others had taken the time to talk to the managers about vegan options and the fact that it was advertised as so........seemed great and I enjoyed these foods a few times.

Today some customers came in and ordered a bunch of veg stuff, I could tell they were vegan by what they got so I told them the veggi burger wasnt vegan- which is not made clear to customers, and then they asked me about the bread...............so I havent eaten any of the bread since I've been working there cause Ive been mostly raw, so I had'nt looked at the packaging yet, but I've eaten it in the past, but since pita breads are often vegan, I guess I made the assumption the "vegan" option was actually vegan. my heart sank when I looked at the packaging and saw that there's milk in it- I said to my coworker "just in case any vegans ask- the pita breads not vegan" and he replied "yeah none of the breads vegan, but who cares, I'm anti veganism"..........so you can imagine how pissed I was to learn that the "vegan" options are not vegan- that this place likes to invite guests in with advertising without taking the time to learn what it means...........

So I feel the need to address this with the manager, but I am a brand new employee here and I don't know how to go about it without coming across as "this is bad and this is what you need to do about it!" I think there should at least be a seperate menu of things that are 100% vegan, how should I address this?
Purp and leedsveg like this.

Last edited by Naturebound; 02-14-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Use of profanity is against the rules of Veggieboards. This site is work and family friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Vegan since 1991

The manager should be more level-headed that your anti-vegan coworker. Rather than criticize, just tell your manager that vegan customers have been asking you about the bread, and that these customers have been unhappy to learn that the bread isn't vegan. Approach the topic as a server who wants to please the vegan customers that the restaurant is advertising to. If your manager doesn't give you satisfactory answers, stay completely calm, and don't say anything further. A couple of weeks later, again tell the manager that some vegan customers were unhappy about the non-vegan bread. In this way, you are bringing up this issue in terms of customer satisfaction, not in terms of your personal veganism. This should eventually create some change.
#3 Old 02-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Vegan as f**k

Yes say the customers have not been happy - the manager will be more likely to do something about this!
Purp, leedsveg, veganeevi and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2015, 02:31 AM
just add raisins

I don't know what country you're in, but not delivering what the customer is paying for violates the Trades Descriptions Act in the UK, and I'm sure there are similar rules in a lot of countries. I don't know if your co-worker can be prosecuted for knowingly lying to customers about what they are buying but I imagine there is some kind of official action that could be taken against them (not suggesting you do this, but that you could warn them that if the customers find out they could get into a lot of trouble) And what about customer's with allergies? That attitude could lead to someone being rushed to hospital.
Purp, azerea_02, LedBoots and 4 others like this.
#5 Old 02-14-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscone View Post
I don't know what country you're in, but not delivering what the customer is paying for violates the Trades Descriptions Act in the UK, and I'm sure there are similar rules in a lot of countries. I don't know if your co-worker can be prosecuted for knowingly lying to customers about what they are buying but I imagine there is some kind of official action that could be taken against them (not suggesting you do this, but that you could warn them that if the customers find out they could get into a lot of trouble) And what about customer's with allergies? That attitude could lead to someone being rushed to hospital.
Really good point! Bring up customers with allergies, as that isn't even a lifestyle choice. If a customer suffers with an allergic reaction because someone decided to lie to them, then they're done.
Purp, azerea_02 and veganeevi like this.

Last edited by Naturebound; 02-14-2015 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Use of profanity is against the rules of Veggieboards. This site is work and family friendly
#6 Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM

sometimes when I go out I tell people in a food place that I have an allergy with certain foods to avoid the vegan issue, most places take allergies more seriously, so saying that be a better garuntee that you get what you order, good point
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 02-14-2015, 07:31 AM

I'm in the US by the way- so there is all kinds of false advertising
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 02-14-2015, 01:42 PM
just add raisins

You can also point out that a vegan might also be allergic to dairy/eggs and assume that they're safe because they've been assured the item is vegan (or they could be intolerant, e.g. I'm not deathly allergic to milk but it does produce some unpleasant symptoms which I'd rather avoid, so I would know if someone was lying to me about whether something contained milk).

According to the FDA website "Approximately 30,000 consumers require emergency room treatment and 150 Americans die each year because of allergic reactions to food." I'm sure that's something your colleague would want to avoid having on their conscience. Link
Purp, Naturebound and David3 like this.
#9 Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Twice in the last 3 weeks I've been at a buffet.....asked if something had meat in it, was told NO, so I got some only to find there was meat in it. (Luckily before I ate it).

It's a simple question. Does it have to be this hard?
Purp likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 02-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
Twice in the last 3 weeks I've been at a buffet.....asked if something had meat in it, was told NO, so I got some only to find there was meat in it. (Luckily before I ate it).

Politely complain to the manager.
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post

I sincerely hope it wasn't chicken or fish..Those 2 things tend to be "not meat" by a lot of standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
Politely complain to the manager.
I agree, tell the manager it has meat in it.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#12 Old 02-21-2015, 04:33 AM
Vegan as f**k

I don't get why some people don't count chicken/ fish as "meat" in the same way as cows/ pigs/ sheep...I think it might be something to do with them not being mammals (I have heard omnis say this in the past)...

Tags
food lableing , vegan ingrediants , vegan restaurant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page