Is my Vegan Packed Lunch/Lunchbox healthy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By IndigoHeart
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By MozIsMyShepherd
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan

#1 Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM

Question Is my Vegan Packed Lunch/Lunchbox healthy?

I usually have:

-A granny smith apple
-A tangerine
-A nakd bar (usually the cocoa delight)
-About two handfuls of salad with salad cream (a lot of it)
-A mock ham sandwich with loads of lettuce (wholemeal bread)
-A soya yogurt dessert (either dark chocolate or vanilla)

Sometimes I might add a treat of Texas BQQsauce Pringles (so awesome that one out of the two vegan flavours is the best in the whole range!)

I'm a sweet tooth so I cant live without chocolate and sweet fruits like granny smith apples.
Please, judge as you will if this is healthy enough.

(£10 a week limit).
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Vegan as f**k

That's very healthy
#3 Old 01-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Vegan since 1991

Large apple: 95 calories

Tangerine: 40 calories

Vanilla soy yogurt: 234 calories

Mock ham sandwich:
2 slices wholemeal bread: 161 calories, total
Lots of lettuce (7 leaves of romaine lettuce): 33 calories, total
Mock ham (Yves brand), 3 slices: 75 calories, total

Salad:
2 handfuls of salad (3 cups of romaine lettuce): 24 calories
Salad cream (1/2 cup of Italian dressing): 282 calories

The approximate total calories for this lunch is 944 calories. This may be a bit high, depending on your activity level.

Your food choices contain pretty well-rounded nutrition, but it's always better to eat fewer processed foods. The calories in the salad cream and sweetened yogurt may be a bit excessive.

You can look up the calorie and nutrition content of thousands of foods on this free website: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ . You can use the website without signing up for an account.
Cyclone T likes this.

Last edited by David3; 01-24-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2015, 12:46 AM

Thanks guys!
I've checked the caloric amounts for my meal with what I ate specifically and it was aright, just below 300.
Thanks for the help
#5 Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Lovable misanthrope

David3 if IndigoHeart is a growing teenager than calorie intake needs to be higher than that of an average grown up, doesn't it?

I think it's very healthy. I'd replace Pringles with nuts and seeds or carrot sticks and hummous. But yes overall very healthy already
Capstan, LedBoots and David3 like this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#6 Old 01-25-2015, 03:38 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoHeart View Post
Thanks guys!
I've checked the caloric amounts for my meal with what I ate specifically and it was aright, just below 300.
Thanks for the help
Less than 300 calories is not enough for lunch though...You don't need to actively cut calorie intake right down as a vegan...
LedBoots likes this.
#7 Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Thanks for the help

Hi Indigo Heart,

Holy cow. If you're only eating 300 calories per meal, then you've got the opposite problem - you may not be eating enough calories. Depending on your gender and age, you should be eating 1800-2500 calories per day (or more, if you are physically active). Not eating enough calories is one of the biggest mistakes that new vegans make, and the resulting fatigue is a reason why some new vegans quit the diet.

I didn't mean to nitpick in my first post. A 900 calorie meal (2700 calories per day) may be completely appropriate for you, depending on your level of physical activity. I would cut down on the empty calories, though (like the salad dressing).
#8 Old 01-25-2015, 10:46 AM

I have between 300-500 calories per meal. I downloaded a calorie counting app and so far I usually have between 1300-1500 calories a day but I don't feel hungry at all, in fact I was planning on cutting down my lunch menu a bit.
5"4 tall and 63kg. I think 250-600 calories per meal is alright for me.

Last edited by IndigoHeart; 01-25-2015 at 10:52 AM.
#9 Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Indigo Heart,

Holy cow. If you're only eating 300 calories per meal, then you've got the opposite problem - you may not be eating enough calories. Depending on your gender and age, you should be eating 1800-2500 calories per day (or more, if you are physically active). Not eating enough calories is one of the biggest mistakes that new vegans make, and the resulting fatigue is a reason why some new vegans quit the diet.

I didn't mean to nitpick in my first post. A 900 calorie meal (2700 calories per day) may be completely appropriate for you, depending on your level of physical activity. I would cut down on the empty calories, though (like the salad dressing).
I do yoga for 30 minutes every morning, walk for about 30 minutes to and from school (about an hour a day of speed walking) and I'm going to start working out in the afternoons. Not extremely active.

I've followed your advice and switched salad dressing for organic houmous - it actually tastes 200% better!
I'll try to make sure that I eat more good stuff.
Thank you for your help
#10 Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Less than 300 calories is not enough for lunch though...You don't need to actively cut calorie intake right down as a vegan...
I actually eat triple the amount I used to eat as an omnivore.
I always think 'vegan food has low calories so I have to eat a lot of it to feel full'.
Veganism is an excuse to eat a hell of a lot and not feel bad about it because what's been eaten is healthy.
#11 Old 01-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
I actually eat triple the amount I used to eat as an omnivore.
I always think 'vegan food has low calories so I have to eat a lot of it to feel full'.
Veganism is an excuse to eat a hell of a lot and not feel bad about it because what's been eaten is healthy.
That's ok then
#12 Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned

That sounds great! Fresh fruit and bottled juices/smoothies are great for packed lunches! So are kale chips, seaweed, homemade smoothies (in a mason jar), soup in a thermos, salad in tupperware, veggies or pretzels w/ hummus, avocado sandwiches, any kind of vegan leftovers, vegetable sushi, just to name a few more ideas! If you're looking for other bars another great brand is Raw Revolution www.rawrev.com they are vegan gluten free organic and kosher!

Tags
food , lunch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page