Have you lost Much weight since becoming vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Have you lost Much weight since becoming vegan?

If you ve been vegan for a long time now has your weight been quite stable? Do you find you have to eat bigger portions to maintain healthy body weight?
I've lost about 5 pounds in the last couple of weeks and I do find I get hungry sooner now and am always hungry when I go to bed. I also eat a lot more food than before in order to feel full and satisfied. So despite eating like a horse I'm still hungry within 3-4 hours and am losing weight. I must be doing something wrong, right? Or has anyone else experienced the same? Or perhaps that's just a normal start and then your body gets used to it and things stabilise?

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Vegan as f**k

I have not lost any weight but I do eat quite large portions and drink a vegan protein shake

Last edited by Go Vegan; 01-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
#3 Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Vegan means no animal products. Lately I've been pretty stressed and my healthy resolve died under junk foods, pastas, coconut cream curry, seitan and lots of breaded sauteed tofu. And cookies.
After my first year eating vegan isn't any different than when I wasn't other than the meat, cheese, and ice cream.

I do have make a disclaimer. I haven't identified as vegan for a while. When I get like this it's better than to get crazed and OCD which I'm susceptible to, not that that belongs here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Beginner

I am not an experienced vegan. I started my vegan journey in late December. Since then I've lost about 10bs in three ish weeks, but I'm making a conscious effort to eat around 2100 cals per day to lose weight. I find that I eat way more food than 2100 cals would be on an omni diet cause of the lack of fat from meat and because I eat lowish fat. I'm okay with eating more foods, cause I love food. If you're hungry eat more! I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. Like Go Vegan I also have protien shakes but that's do my exercise program and need more protein than the average person. Eat more food. Maybe you're hungry 'cause the food you're eating is not as calorie dense.

Last edited by ReturnOfSaturn; 01-13-2015 at 05:54 PM.
#5 Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM

Prior to becoming vegan, I was consuming anywhere between 3000 to 5500 calories daily. I did put on an initial 3 kilos, but beyond that, my weight remained stable with that consumption level (I'm 5 ft. 5 in at 55 kilos). Since transitioning, I've only lost a slight amount (~1kg) compared to my pre-vegan weight, but this might be because my consumption has also slightly lowered to somewhere between 2800 to 4500 calories daily.

I've come across many posts, however, of people stating that after switching to a vegan lifestyle, they found themselves needing to eat more calories to even maintain their current weight; particularly those who follow the HCLF (high carb, low fat) way.
#6 Old 01-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

My suggestion is to just include snacks into your lifestyle. I've been vegan for probably around four years now and my weight is stable as long as I munch on snacks throughout the day on top of my regular meals. If I eat like I did when I was omni I lose weight.
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.
#7 Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Oryzatarian

I was never overweight, 4 years ago almost overnight I went from a high fat omni diet to a whole food vegan diet most americans would call horrifyingly low fat. In the first few weeks I lost 4-5 lbs, over the next several months I gained them back and my weight has been stable ever since.
I dont know if I consume more calories now, but the portion sizes are much bigger as low fat whole vegan foods are low caloric density. My portion sizes make people jealous, lol.
#8 Old 01-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrownie View Post
Prior to becoming vegan, I was consuming anywhere between 3000 to 5500 calories daily. I did put on an initial 3 kilos, but beyond that, my weight remained stable with that consumption level (I'm 5 ft. 5 in at 55 kilos). Since transitioning, I've only lost a slight amount (~1kg) compared to my pre-vegan weight, but this might be because my consumption has also slightly lowered to somewhere between 2800 to 4500 calories daily.

I've come across many posts, however, of people stating that after switching to a vegan lifestyle, they found themselves needing to eat more calories to even maintain their current weight; particularly those who follow the HCLF (high carb, low fat) way.
I haven't seen any of those posts yet...I'll have to dig. I don't like carbs as they make me feel tired and don't eat sugar, so I'm thinking maybe I've now cuts out too many food groups
And wow consuming 4000 cal a day and staying at 55 kg, is that even possible? You must have a religious exercise routine...?

#9 Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
I was never overweight, 4 years ago almost overnight I went from a high fat omni diet to a whole food vegan diet most americans would call horrifyingly low fat. In the first few weeks I lost 4-5 lbs, over the next several months I gained them back and my weight has been stable ever since.
I dont know if I consume more calories now, but the portion sizes are much bigger as low fat whole vegan foods are low caloric density. My portion sizes make people jealous, lol.
Sounds like me, people at work have commented on the size of my lunch 'feeling hungry?!?' But yes I should answer yes because I'm always hungry now

#10 Old 01-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
My suggestion is to just include snacks into your lifestyle. I've been vegan for probably around four years now and my weight is stable as long as I munch on snacks throughout the day on top of my regular meals. If I eat like I did when I was omni I lose weight.
What kind of snacks do you choose? I've been eating spoonfuls of whole earth nut butters in between meals. I can't have sugar and stay away from sweeteners so never have anything remotely pudding like. I allow myself 1 fruit a day or sometimes raw carrot, other than that not sure what snacks I can have now...

#11 Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Being tiny and all (5 ft) I initially lost quite a bit of weight going vegan. Maybe 10 pounds. I was eating whole foods and theeeeeen ... I got better at finding recipes and finding vegan junk in stores. I quickly regained some of the weight eating ice cream, chips and vegan pizza I guess I'm a bit thinner than when I was an omni, but since I don't weigh myself I cannot know for sure.
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.
#12 Old 01-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
What kind of snacks do you choose? I've been eating spoonfuls of whole earth nut butters in between meals. I can't have sugar and stay away from sweeteners so never have anything remotely pudding like. I allow myself 1 fruit a day or sometimes raw carrot, other than that not sure what snacks I can have now...
Do you eat nuts/ raisins?
#13 Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
I have not lost any weight but I do eat quite large portions and drink a vegan protein shake
Go vegan I asked you about those shakes before, but can't remember now in which thread...so I haven't seen the answer. What's in them and where do you get them from? Health food shops? Are they the exercise shakes you prepare from powder? Are they mainly synthetic?
Apologies if you've already answered

#14 Old 01-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Do you eat nuts/ raisins?
I eat a handful of nuts for breakfast with my toast or sprinkled over my porridge, then after lunch and sometimes after dinner too I have a teaspoon or two of almond or peanut butter as a treat, that fills me up a bit but not for long. Raisins are v high in sugar haven't had them for a couple of years

#15 Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
I eat a handful of nuts for breakfast with my toast or sprinkled over my porridge, then after lunch and sometimes after dinner too I have a teaspoon or two of almond or peanut butter as a treat, that fills me up a bit but not for long. Raisins are v high in sugar haven't had them for a couple of years
Great
#16 Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Go vegan are you up already or up still?

#17 Old 01-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Go vegan I asked you about those shakes before, but can't remember now in which thread...so I haven't seen the answer. What's in them and where do you get them from? Health food shops? Are they the exercise shakes you prepare from powder? Are they mainly synthetic?
Apologies if you've already answered
If you type "vegan protein shake" into amazon a few will come up...They are made from pea protein and soya protein mainly...You can get plain ones from Holland and Barrett but they taste a bit funny...Yes they are powdered and are useful if exercising...But you could add the plain one to things like soup I guess just to bulk it up
#18 Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Go vegan are you up already or up still?
Up still...I will be going out in a bit though hehe
#19 Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
Being tiny and all (5 ft) I initially lost quite a bit of weight going vegan. Maybe 10 pounds. I was eating whole foods and theeeeeen ... I got better at finding recipes and finding vegan junk in stores. I quickly regained some of the weight eating ice cream, chips and vegan pizza I guess I'm a bit thinner than when I was an omni, but since I don't weigh myself I cannot know for sure.
I don't even need to weigh myself (5 pounds is a guess) my clothes are getting really drapey and loose on me. Vegan junk, that's what I need! But I'm so inexperienced and unsure what I can have that I've been staying away from most ready prepared foods. But chips are a good start, I should reintroduce chips, thanks for reminding me! Never seen a vegan pizza around here...or vegan ice cream. How long have you been vegan for?

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 01-13-2015 at 10:21 PM.
#20 Old 01-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Up still...I will be going out in a bit though hehe
is it even possible, you must be a vampire...

#21 Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
is it even possible, you must be a vampire...
I am a postgraduate researcher but I also work nights sometimes...This can cause a complex sleep-wake cycle heh
#22 Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
If you type "vegan protein shake" into amazon a few will come up...They are made from pea protein and soya protein mainly...You can get plain ones from Holland and Barrett but they taste a bit funny...Yes they are powdered and are useful if exercising...But you could add the plain one to things like soup I guess just to bulk it up
It's not the same as nutritional yeast is it? Or is the purpose similar to that of nutritional yeast? Pea protein sounds good, will it have the same effect if I have a cup of peas or are they fortified with vitamins and stuff?

#23 Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
It's not the same as nutritional yeast is it? Or is the purpose similar to that of nutritional yeast? Pea protein sounds good, will it have the same effect if I have a cup of peas or are they fortified with vitamins and stuff?
It doesn't contain any yeast...I think they are fortified actually...And the protein content is artificially high (higher than the same mass of peas)
#24 Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
I am a postgraduate researcher but I also work nights sometimes...This can cause a complex sleep-wake cycle heh
Complex indeed. So you sleep during the day? I couldn't do it, sleep deprivation makes me go completely insane

#25 Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
It doesn't contain any yeast...I think they are fortified actually...And the protein content is artificially high (higher than the same mass of peas)
Hmmm I'll have to look into it, I'll google and check the ingredients. I don't exercise other than walk and bike so not sure if it's a good idea for me...will google

#26 Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Complex indeed. So you sleep during the day? I couldn't do it, sleep deprivation makes me go completely insane
Sometimes I sleep during day, other times at night
#27 Old 01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Hmmm I'll have to look into it, I'll google and check the ingredients. I don't exercise other than walk and bike so not sure if it's a good idea for me...will google
Ok have a look
#28 Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I think I've 2 problems here
1 I've cut out too many food groups: sugar and the usual vegan restrictions
2 I don't think I still know what I'm doing so I'm yet to discover more vegan options and vary my diet
3 I've no time got snacks due to a demanding job and hectic lifestyle

So as a result I'm always hungry, I've been waking up at 4-5 am feeling starved. I need some ideas for quick fix vegan foods and vegan junk, but perhaps that should be a totally new thread

#29 Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Go vegan how long have you been vegan for? You might have told me before ...my brain is like a sieve ...

#30 Old 01-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
I think I've 2 problems here
1 I've cut out too many food groups: sugar and the usual vegan restrictions
2 I don't think I still know what I'm doing so I'm yet to discover more vegan options and vary my diet
3 I've no time got snacks due to a demanding job and hectic lifestyle

So as a result I'm always hungry, I've been waking up at 4-5 am feeling starved. I need some ideas for quick fix vegan foods and vegan junk, but perhaps that should be a totally new thread
You can have some sugars as a vegan, only bleached cane sugar is sometimes processed with bone char...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page