What is the Best Argument Against Veganism? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

#31 Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Vegan as f**k

Being a practicing vegan is a great way to promote animal welfare...And educating others to help them convert is also really important ...Learning about activism and participating is a further awesome way to help bring about change for the better
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

What is the Best Argument Against Veganism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
@ veganeevi:

I met someone with some very strong opinions regarding the medical industry, he genuinely believed that all doctors were evil people out to steal your money, to make you even more sick so you have to stay on medicines.

-This is paranoid.

What would we do if we didn't have modern medicine? 

-On average, people would die younger and the population of the Earth would be lower.

Would it be possible to have developed these things without vivisection? 

-Some treatments may have developed more slowly without animal  experimentation. For example some surgical techniques.  Some technologies have developed without any animal involvement.

Would it be better off if modern medicine had never developed, resulting in a smaller population that would not require factory farming? 

-It would be better if it had developed more ethically.  I think modern medicine could develop in an ethical manner if investments were made into alternatives to animal testing.  For example increased computational modelling and use of certain ethically acceptable cloning techniques to clone human organs (livers/ kidneys).

Are the scientists who perform testings bad people? 

-Some might be bad people. Most are people who genuinely believe that animals are inferior to humans and are here to be used as they have been brainwashed from birth into thinking this.  Does this make them "bad"?  Maybe, or perhaps it just makes them grossly delusional.

Has vivisection had a place in developing veterinary care for animals? 

-Without it development may have been slower.

Is someone who needs to take medication that has most likely been tested on animals not vegan?

-If that person needs the medicine to survive then I think it would be unfair to say they weren't vegan for taking it.

I'm too lazy to google this, but nazis experimented on humans. And those advanced some of the medicine and techniques we use today. so if that logic is used we are all nazis.

edit: sorry I might've read your post wrong. anyways, this is my counter argument if someone says medicine was developed by experimenting on animals, if you are a vegan you shouldn't take medicine.

Last edited by rasitha.wijesekera; 01-24-2015 at 10:02 AM.
#33 Old 01-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
I'm too lazy to google this, but nazis experimented on humans. And those advanced some of the medicine and techniques we use today. so if that logic is used we are all nazis.

edit: sorry I might've read your post wrong. anyways, this is my counter argument if someone says medicine was developed by experimenting on animals, if you are a vegan you shouldn't take medicine.
Yes the nazis did many experiments on humans - Josef Mengele being the chief investigator...

I said that if someone vegan needed to use medicine to survive then no one would judge them...It's the system that's at fault, not them...They are being put in an impossible situation and essentially have no choice but to use the medicine...
leedsveg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhei View Post
There's one argument I've heard against veganism that I'm not sure how to counter, which is:" if everyone went vegan and we didnt have all the animal manure the animal industry "produce", we wouldnt not have enough organic/enviromental fertilization for all the plants we eat." I suggested using human waste instead, as they supposedly do in some parts of the world (Haiti for example) but was told that it doesn't work in most places. Also apparently you need to change the fertilization method after some years for it to work properly?

I'm really not well-read on farming (tbh I barely know what Im talking about) so I have no idea if this is a reasonable argument, but I got quite taken aback when I heard it. Also since it's been mostly farmers giving me this argument I'm in a pretty inferior position. If anyone knows a bit more or has any counter argument, feel free to let me know!
How about compost?
#35 Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
Also, raising a kid vegan in today's world is scary. Talk about judgement!

And those news stories that come out every so often about kids wasting away on a "vegan" diet... (it always turns out that that the parents were underfeeding/doing something crazy though) public opinion is against raising kids in that way.

Even having a vegan pregnancy is frowned upon.

My best friend was so concerned about my son's meatless diet she advised me that I would probably need to get him a feeding tube, to ensure he got adequate calories and proteins.

Even though my son is normal weight (on the slim side) and good height. I told my friend that his pediatrician said he is doing okay, so we are not worried. But my friend was really concerned, because he doesnt eat red meat or eggs. (or any other meats for that matter, but my friend thinks red meat is the most nutritious)
Ask your friend how she thinks a lot kids from India have grown up without ANY red meat, chicken, fish or poultry? A lot of people struggle with believing different than the way they were raised their entire life.
#36 Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan61 View Post
Ask your friend how she thinks a lot kids from India have grown up without ANY red meat, chicken, fish or poultry? A lot of people struggle with believing different than the way they were raised their entire life.
This is so true...People can be so indoctrinated that they can't see that the alternative might actually be ok!
#37 Old 05-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Banned

From a nutritional point of view, there are almost no benefits from becoming vegans. The benefits come from eating unprocessed and raw foods, not from staying away from meat and diary products.

I am raw vegan myself but I am absolutely sure that raw foodism is way healthier than a vegan diet that includes all kind of refined sugars and starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice, etc.
Even if you add cooked meat to the raw food you are still way better than a "dirty" vegan diet.
Even a cooked, whole foods diet, including healthiest meat is better than a "dirty" vegan diet

Refined sugars and starchy foods lead very quickly to all kind of troubles like obesity, diabetes, hearth problems, etc, much faster than eating animal fat and meat.

Not that I want to actually test raw foodism on myself - raw veganism is better, in my view.

Last edited by spaveg; 05-29-2016 at 12:49 PM.
#38 Old 05-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaveg View Post
From a nutritional point of view, there are almost no benefits from becoming vegans. The benefits come from eating unprocessed and raw foods, not from staying away from meat and diary products.

I am raw vegan myself but I am absolutely sure that raw foodism is way healthier than a vegan diet that includes all kind of refined sugars and starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice, etc.
Even if you add cooked meat to the raw food you are still way better than a "dirty" vegan diet.
Even a cooked, whole foods diet, including healthiest meat is better than a "dirty" vegan diet

Refined sugars and starchy foods lead very quickly to all kind of troubles like obesity, diabetes, hearth problems, etc, much faster than eating animal fat and meat.

Not that I want to actually test raw foodism on myself - raw veganism is better, in my view.
LOL. Really?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#39 Old 05-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

evidence please. Real evidence, not someone saying on a website it's true.
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page