Giving up on veganism - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

#31 Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley95 View Post
I'm not like yellow yellow I'd be way too concerned to not go to a&e if this was the case. I'm yellow ish like there's a SLIGHT tinge of tanned/yellow colour to me. I'm going to the docs Tuesday to get a blood test to see what they suggest, but no I've just presumed this is the case. I've tried taking the pills for b12 deficiency but I find they're too weak unless they're prescribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes get some blood tests done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-24-2015, 07:13 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Yes get some blood tests done
I have, and surprisingly I have now got good iron and good b12! I seem to absorb the fortified soy milk really well, it's the first time in six years that it's up to par! I am soooo happy! The only problem now is Vit D, which I'm getting a supplement for

I had a test and have no allergy for gluten or cow's milk.

Also, I'll hear next week wheter I am coeliac. If that would be it, everything would be explained. If I am not coeliac, we''l go on to test for other permanent bowel conditions. I am working on it!

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#33 Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
Dr Barnard said when he was on The Doctors show, dairy actually reduces iron absorption! I think you should look into this if someone hasn't already said it above Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gocrw0k5xhI

Also, and some people might strongly disagree with me, I see people transitioning to a vegan diet as vegan. I don't care if they're still eating eggs once a week, or they occasionally have a chicken because they're having a hard time giving the meat up. Veganism is not just what you put in your mouth, it's a lifestyle and a MINDSET. If you're someone who strives for animal liberation and you do your best to omit the use of animals in your life, I consider you vegan. You might not be vegan in your own books, or some others here, but you're a vegan in mine, and I blooming commend you for it!
Thank you, this is motivating me Also seeing my health improve slowly is helping a lot!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

A truly healthy (close to raw as possible (plants) for example) diet provides more nutrition and energy than a person can deal with.
It isn't easy sticking to a strict - pure - healing diet. We all need motivation.
Keep up the good work!
Windigo likes this.

Caring about our health is caring about our very state of being and future which is a very good thing to be seriously concerned about making the most of.

http://TRUEHEALTHHAPPENS.COM

#35 Old 01-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
I have, and surprisingly I have now got good iron and good b12! I seem to absorb the fortified soy milk really well, it's the first time in six years that it's up to par! I am soooo happy! The only problem now is Vit D, which I'm getting a supplement for

I had a test and have no allergy for gluten or cow's milk.

Also, I'll hear next week wheter I am coeliac. If that would be it, everything would be explained. If I am not coeliac, we''l go on to test for other permanent bowel conditions. I am working on it!
I'm so glad to hear you are making good progress
Windigo likes this.
#36 Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 PM
The prowling wolf

I've got some more good news I'm not coeliac, got no allergy or intolerance to wheat or gluten. Also no lactose allergy or intolerance.

I'm getting tested for Crohn's because of my persistent bowel issues but at least I've got the all clear on my diet: I can eat everything!
Werewolf Girl and Tiger Lilly like this.

#37 Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
I've got some more good news I'm not coeliac, got no allergy or intolerance to wheat or gluten. Also no lactose allergy or intolerance.

I'm getting tested for Crohn's because of my persistent bowel issues but at least I've got the all clear on my diet: I can eat everything!
Congratulations

Hope the remaining tests go smoothly
Windigo likes this.
#38 Old 02-04-2015, 05:48 PM

You could try getting a vegan dietition to help you out, I know it can be a little expensive but your health is worth it! Your body is going to be with you the rest of your life so you aughta love it and fill it with food that nourishes your body and your soul! I think if you eat foods that you feel guilty about it is unlikely to help you, the mind and body are so closely linked. There's gotta be a way to get ya straightend out, I've had some digestive issues that led me to a veg dietition and it's been well worth the money! I really hope you feel better soon!
#39 Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 AM
The prowling wolf

Major update:

I am in hospital rlight now, and got diagnosed with Crohn's disease. No surprise thus that I was feeling weak and lethargic and in pain.

No blame for veganism, my body's the culprit. And right now I should avoid too much fibre like the plague

#40 Old 02-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Major update:

I am in hospital rlight now, and got diagnosed with Crohn's disease. No surprise thus that I was feeling weak and lethargic and in pain.

No blame for veganism, my body's the culprit. And right now I should avoid too much fibre like the plague
Oh no Windigo! I'm so sorry to hear about this complication. But glad you finally have an answer! That really does explain a lot. Crohns is an autoimmune disease so there really isn't one direct cause but it is treatable. Best wishes with everything and I hope you get stronger and heal. You are in my thoughts!
Windigo likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#41 Old 02-26-2015, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Major update:

Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear about this, but also glad you've identified what's wrong.

Here's hoping you feel better soon.
Windigo likes this.
#42 Old 02-26-2015, 04:55 AM
The prowling wolf

Thanks Tigerlily and Naturebound

Ofcourse it's been scary to get to this point but I'm relieved that I know why I have these problems now. Hopefully with treatment things will get managable and I'll be able to look into veganism in the future.

Right now I have to put recovery first and being vegetarian is easier for that right now.
LedBoots likes this.

#43 Old 02-27-2015, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Thanks Tigerlily and Naturebound

Ofcourse it's been scary to get to this point but I'm relieved that I know why I have these problems now. Hopefully with treatment things will get managable and I'll be able to look into veganism in the future.

Right now I have to put recovery first and being vegetarian is easier for that right now.
Hope your recovery goes smoothly! My spouse has ulcerative colitis and has to eat a low residue diet pretty frequently. He is lacto-ovo vegetarian, which is a bit easier. I think it would be possible to do on a vegan diet (tofu and white rice would be staples, I think), but it would be more limited. You are absolutely right to put recovery first and consider becoming vegan again when things calm down.
Windigo and LedBoots like this.
#44 Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
Hope your recovery goes smoothly! My spouse has ulcerative colitis and has to eat a low residue diet pretty frequently. He is lacto-ovo vegetarian, which is a bit easier. I think it would be possible to do on a vegan diet (tofu and white rice would be staples, I think), but it would be more limited. You are absolutely right to put recovery first and consider becoming vegan again when things calm down.
My doctor has told me that there is no specific diet for people who suffer from Crohn's disease; sadly our bowels just get inflamed randomly. Good side of that is that I am free to eat anything I want though.

There are some things that commonly cause problems though, very spicy food, vegetables with lots of fibre like kale for instance; and whole grain products. Right now the hospital has put me on a diet low in fibre with no fruit and little veg in order to give my bowels some peace. I'm getting extra vitamins and nutrients through injections.

Hopefully; in the future I can eat relatively normally again but right now I have to focus on high carb meals for the proper energy I need for recovery. I'm getting double portions from the hospital because so much is being wasted by just getting flushed away.

However, the Prednisone they're giving me seems to start working, so I hope that soon I will be having good news

#45 Old 02-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Vegan as f**k

Sorry to hear you have been unwell

Get your strength up so you can go home soon
Windigo likes this.
#46 Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My doctor has told me that there is no specific diet for people who suffer from Crohn's disease; sadly our bowels just get inflamed randomly. Good side of that is that I am free to eat anything I want though.

There are some things that commonly cause problems though, very spicy food, vegetables with lots of fibre like kale for instance; and whole grain products. Right now the hospital has put me on a diet low in fibre with no fruit and little veg in order to give my bowels some peace. I'm getting extra vitamins and nutrients through injections.

Hopefully; in the future I can eat relatively normally again but right now I have to focus on high carb meals for the proper energy I need for recovery. I'm getting double portions from the hospital because so much is being wasted by just getting flushed away.

However, the Prednisone they're giving me seems to start working, so I hope that soon I will be having good news

I've heard Dr Barnard's 'starch' diet is meant to be good for bowel disorders. I don't eat like that all the time, but the idea of cutting out deep fried foods and fizzy drinks, well, it kind of seems to make sense

Oh, I meant to mention before I did start a thread for those with digestive issues, if you want to check it out (nothing big happening there at the moment, but just so you can know that it's there).

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/14...ve-issues.html

Feel better soon!
Windigo likes this.
#47 Old 03-01-2015, 02:40 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
I've heard Dr Barnard's 'starch' diet is meant to be good for bowel disorders. I don't eat like that all the time, but the idea of cutting out deep fried foods and fizzy drinks, well, it kind of seems to make sense

Oh, I meant to mention before I did start a thread for those with digestive issues, if you want to check it out (nothing big happening there at the moment, but just so you can know that it's there).

https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/14...ve-issues.html

Feel better soon!
Those things you mention are hardly a part of my diet anyway; but right now I'll stick to the recommendations my doctor makes. I'm told to gain weight at the moment so I am stimulated to eat high calorie foods in order to regain strength.

Fizzy drinks make you burp and fart, so yes it makes sense to not have them. But right now there's a lot I'm not having

Thanks for the link and the well wishes
Tiger Lilly likes this.

#48 Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 AM
The prowling wolf

Yay, I've just been told that if things keep going this well I can go home on wednesday!
LedBoots likes this.

#49 Old 03-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yay, I've just been told that if things keep going this well I can go home on wednesday!
First of all - I'm not a doctor nor healthcare professional.

Secondly - Dr Michael Greger stated within his nutritionfacts.org video's that the best treatment for Chron's disease known within the medical literature is a wholefoods plant based vegan diet. Within the video he cites a study in which sufferers who have had a flare up and received an operation were given two diet's following this medical procedure and over two years the whole plant food vegan group were still largely non-relapsing (ballpark figure was 85%) yet after just 1 year the standard diet group was seeing a 50%ish relapse rate increasing in it's second year.

Whether or not this is true and regardless what doctors have told you - do your research! Look for legitimate, peer-reviewed studies, Dr's of good reputations interpretations of said studies etc. etc. Then design your diet to cover all nutrition you require while being the best we have data on for fighting the health issues you have.

I'm sorry to hear that you have got such a terrible illness but if you treat it with the respect it deserves I see no reason why you can't be a poster-figure on how to deal with it well

Good luck and take care!
Windigo likes this.
#50 Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Here's a link to some of Dr Greger's work and some tips for dealing with Chron's. Sorry for the diagnosis, hopefully you'll keep the flares under control.
http://nutritionfacts.org/2012/09/13...rohns-disease/
Windigo likes this.
#51 Old 03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerBoots View Post
First of all - I'm not a doctor nor healthcare professional.

I'm sorry to hear that you have got such a terrible illness but if you treat it with the respect it deserves I see no reason why you can't be a poster-figure on how to deal with it well

Good luck and take care!
While I respect your opinion I have to say that being a poster child for veganism is not high on my priority list right now; right now I want to recover and certaintly am not going to throw my doctor's advice out the window.

I've started this thread because I was feeling awful because of what we now know to be Crohn's disease, but the veganism wasn't helping me when I was posting this thread.

Maybe in the future I will be able to adopt a vegan diet that suits my requirements, but right now I'll just do whatever I need to do to become healthy again and not be in so much pain.

#52 Old 03-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
While I respect your opinion I have to say that being a poster child for veganism is not high on my priority list right now; right now I want to recover and certaintly am not going to throw my doctor's advice out the window.

I've started this thread because I was feeling awful because of what we now know to be Crohn's disease, but the veganism wasn't helping me when I was posting this thread.

Maybe in the future I will be able to adopt a vegan diet that suits my requirements, but right now I'll just do whatever I need to do to become healthy again and not be in so much pain.
So is consuming animal products reducing your pain levels?

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#53 Old 03-03-2015, 12:22 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
I'm sorry?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, what is so hard to understand about me trying to recover as fast as possible without feeling miserable?

Where am I saying that consuming animal products is reducing my pain?

I am sorry, but I think your sarcasm is highly innapropriate at the moment for someone who's in so much pain they're unable to get through the day without morfine.

I'm eating what I can easily digest at the moment, and right now there aren't many plant foods I can deal with. Besides, I mentioned I want to try veganism again in the future. I don't know what warranted this reply?
leedsveg likes this.

Last edited by Windigo; 03-03-2015 at 12:25 AM.
#54 Old 03-03-2015, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Just do the best you can now. Even if you eat vegan just a couple days a week and the rest ovo-lacto-vegetarian, you're already doing more than the majority of people in the world.
Tom, Windigo, Tiger Lilly and 1 others like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#55 Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Wow, she's in the hospital right now and very sick. Maybe we could show her a little more compassion? She doesn't have a whole lot of choice at the moment in the situation she is in.
Tom, Windigo, Tiger Lilly and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#56 Old 03-03-2015, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Windigo,

My Mom struggled with going and staying vegan but held on for about six months. In those six months she lost half her hair. She has a gluten intolerance and was diagnosed with diverticulitis a few years ago. She spent time in the hospital last year due to a severe flare up of her diverticulitis. She can not have seeds or nuts, which includes all fruits with seeds in them (like strawberries for instance). So it was very hard for her to get the required nutrients she needed while also avoiding gluten as well as nuts/seeds and small hard food particles. She went back to vegetarian and occasionally started eating a little meat (fish) for her DHA. I did try to get her to take a vegan DHA supplement and eat ground flaxmeal but she could not afford the supplement. I was upset with her at first, but it's easy to judge others when you haven't walked in their shoes and aren't having serious medical issues yourself. Over time I stopped being angry with her because she is still trying really hard to eat all plant based.

People with such medical conditions as the two of you have, that are in crisis stages, often require immediate therapy that may or may not be vegan. It is best to take the time you need to research and learn all you can so that you can change your diet to vegan in a healthy way to meet your needs. Doing it all at once when in a medical crisis is probably not a smart idea.

I personally don't think you are making excuses to continue to eat animal products (I get the feeling others are thinking this). I think you are genuinely scared about your condition and wanting to do whatever you can to make it better. In the long run, to prevent a flare up, a vegan diet suited to meet your needs might just be what your body really needs. It can be done as stories around the web have shown, and in some studies dairy and other animal products seems to make Crohns worse due to the inflammatory nature of those foods. But in the midst of bowel inflammation that has been bad enough to put you in the hospital, and in a situation where you don't have a lot of choice in what to eat (My Mom had a terrible time getting gluten free vegan food in the hospital despite the two of us working diligently with the nutrition staff and me visiting the cafeteria...ultimately I had to go outside the hospital and bring in food for her and she could not have done that herself), you have to get yourself stable first. I see nothing wrong with that. Personally, in the many posts I have seen you make on VB, I see that you are genuinely trying to figure this all out, and figure out what makes your inflammation worse etc. With chrons, it isn't always obvious which foods are making things worse. Not all vegan food is helpful. Beans can be hard to digest for people transitioning with a normal healthy digestive system, let alone someone with inflammatory disease. Peanuts are a big no no for Crohns, and unfortunately they are also one of the first foods vegans suggest as a source of high calories to help with weight gain.

You know what you need to do, and I have faith that you will return to veganism when you are stronger and ready. The fact that you are fighting to live as close to your ethical values as possible given the unfair situation you have been put in says a lot about you. Please hang in there and get yourself well. We care about you here and want you to be healthy. You are important.

#57 Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 AM
The prowling wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Windigo,

My Mom struggled with going and staying vegan but held on for about six months. In those six months she lost half her hair. She has a gluten intolerance and was diagnosed with diverticulitis a few years ago. She spent time in the hospital last year due to a severe flare up of her diverticulitis. She can not have seeds or nuts, which includes all fruits with seeds in them (like strawberries for instance). So it was very hard for her to get the required nutrients she needed while also avoiding gluten as well as nuts/seeds and small hard food particles. She went back to vegetarian and occasionally started eating a little meat (fish) for her DHA. I did try to get her to take a vegan DHA supplement and eat ground flaxmeal but she could not afford the supplement. I was upset with her at first, but it's easy to judge others when you haven't walked in their shoes and aren't having serious medical issues yourself. Over time I stopped being angry with her because she is still trying really hard to eat all plant based.

People with such medical conditions as the two of you have, that are in crisis stages, often require immediate therapy that may or may not be vegan. It is best to take the time you need to research and learn all you can so that you can change your diet to vegan in a healthy way to meet your needs. Doing it all at once when in a medical crisis is probably not a smart idea.

I personally don't think you are making excuses to continue to eat animal products (I get the feeling others are thinking this). I think you are genuinely scared about your condition and wanting to do whatever you can to make it better. In the long run, to prevent a flare up, a vegan diet suited to meet your needs might just be what your body really needs. It can be done as stories around the web have shown, and in some studies dairy and other animal products seems to make Crohns worse due to the inflammatory nature of those foods. But in the midst of bowel inflammation that has been bad enough to put you in the hospital, and in a situation where you don't have a lot of choice in what to eat (My Mom had a terrible time getting gluten free vegan food in the hospital despite the two of us working diligently with the nutrition staff and me visiting the cafeteria...ultimately I had to go outside the hospital and bring in food for her and she could not have done that herself), you have to get yourself stable first. I see nothing wrong with that. Personally, in the many posts I have seen you make on VB, I see that you are genuinely trying to figure this all out, and figure out what makes your inflammation worse etc. With chrons, it isn't always obvious which foods are making things worse. Not all vegan food is helpful. Beans can be hard to digest for people transitioning with a normal healthy digestive system, let alone someone with inflammatory disease. Peanuts are a big no no for Crohns, and unfortunately they are also one of the first foods vegans suggest as a source of high calories to help with weight gain.

You know what you need to do, and I have faith that you will return to veganism when you are stronger and ready. The fact that you are fighting to live as close to your ethical values as possible given the unfair situation you have been put in says a lot about you. Please hang in there and get yourself well. We care about you here and want you to be healthy. You are important.
Thanks a lot for this reply; this makes me feel a lot better

I am trying to do what I can; but I only just found out I have this condition and am really quite overwhelmed with it all right now. Taking it one step at a time is absolutely essential, and right now I need to focus on recovery.

Ofcourse I haven't lost sight of animal suffering ; and I still wish to reduce suffering as much as I can. But as far as I know, veganism should be possible and practical. Sadly, right now it is neither for me.

It doesn't have to stay this way ofcourse, but that's a matter I can focus on when I am recovered to a point where I don't need daily care anymore. Right now I am happy if I can even focus on reading a book without getting tired. Planning a serious dietary change right now is too much for me, and my doctor advices strongly against it. I will just have to heed his warning.

Like I said, I do hope to be a vegan in the future, but right now; I just want to get better.
LedBoots, Tiger Lilly and leedsveg like this.

#58 Old 03-12-2015, 03:59 AM
The prowling wolf

I'm glad to announce that things are going better!

My deficiencies are taken care of, and my stools are becoming less frequent, less painful and more solid

Yay!

The medication is doing it's work
Tom, LedBoots, Tiger Lilly and 2 others like this.

#59 Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Just do the best you can now. Even if you eat vegan just a couple days a week and the rest ovo-lacto-vegetarian, you're already doing more than the majority of people in the world.
Indeed!
Windigo likes this.
#60 Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
I'm glad to announce that things are going better!

My deficiencies are taken care of, and my stools are becoming less frequent, less painful and more solid

Yay!

The medication is doing it's work
Great news! Keep on healing!
Windigo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page