How do you feel about pokemon. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 12-25-2014, 11:40 AM

Thumbs down How do you feel about pokemon.

I was just looking up something stupid, then Peta came along with this game.
http://features.petakids.com/pokemon...-white-parody/

Its so...... I don't have the words.....
Like this game is meant for kids(both real and parody)
I get the message of this game, but come on its kinda disturbing(pokemons with needles sticking out of them).

How do you feel about the Pokemon franchise? About the linked game above? Do you feel they could have suited the message better in another way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think as always PETA is just going for shock value and trying to disturb people to get attention. I don't really approve of their tactics.

I have always felt conflicted about Pokemon though even as a kid, it always seemed like they were enslaving these intelligent magical beings and making them fight for entertainment and I never felt comfortable with that. I know it's silly to over-analyze this type of thing but thinking about it still creeps me out.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 12-25-2014, 12:44 PM

Pokemon black and blue its a little bit disturbing and has spoilers but I love the pokemon franchise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

I give PETA props for doing a lot of good. I also give them flak for doing a LOT of really stupid things that turn people away.
This is an example of stupidity turning people away.
I've grown up with my kids watching Pokeman. I cannot relate Pokeman to real animals. The cartoon has even focused on animal abuse with Ash and that girl condemning trainers who push their pokemon beyond their desire. Ash always seemed to have a very equal relationship with the Pokemon. I think it helps kids like and relate to animals if anything

Isn't Ash portrayed as a vegetarian?
#5 Old 12-25-2014, 05:14 PM

I totally agree that PETA goes WAY to far sometimes. It honestly makes us look CRAZED! I mean sure they do good things..... But chill sometimes, you aren't promoting a very good message that way.

the farthest I would go is a very peaceful standing or sitting protest. Because I am in my rights. Although I didn't watch much Pokemon, I have played a game or two, and in both I've played I have seen equality in the Pokemon and humans. I did see an episode of an abused Pokemon, and yes, no one liked the abuse at all.

PETA is just like Team Plasma, a good message, but way way to far and not promoting good tactics.....

Peta needs to chill sometimes, hardly anyone takes the game that seriously where a game like that seriously to the point of being pro animal fighting.
#6 Old 12-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Pokemon is still a thing?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 12-26-2014, 04:23 AM

I loved pokemon when I was younger (might still love it a litte bit..) and I don't think it hurt either mine or others way of looking at animals. To be honest I don't even think I reflected much over the fact that the pokemons were figthing each other, but rather on the friendship between the pokemons and (some) of their trainers. I remember a lot of episodes focused on the well being of the pokemons being more important than winning.

I must say though that I felt a bit uncomfortable playing that parody game. I think it felt too brutal for kids to play , I mean, having a drunk person beating an "animal" with a bat? Even if that person is the one you're supposed to defeat it didn't really feel right for me.
#8 Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Pokemon is still a thing?
It's TOTALLY still a thing. I started playing about a year ago and it's amazing the range of people who will happily talk for hours about it (from my hairdresser to my work colleagues).

As to how I feel about Pokemon?

I don't have a problem with the game because it's a game. From the Pokemon games I've played, there's a lot of emphasis with increasing the bond with the Pokemon and treating them with respect. You gain nothing from treating them badly, or pushing them too far.

There's plenty of games that rely on the player hunting, owning or eating animals, I prefer when they don't (HINT HINT SIMS 4, MAKE THE OPTION FOR VEG*N SIMS) but targeting games the way PETA is, is only going to make the already meat-crazy nerds more hostile towards vegos.

(In case anyone wants to get offended by my use of the word 'nerd', calm your veggie patch- as opposed to calming your farm-I am great big nerd).
#9 Old 01-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

That was strange.
#10 Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

I bawled my eyes out during this scene of the first movie:
Tiger Lilly likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page