• 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 5 Post By natty6
  • 1 Post By KyRaizor
  • 1 Post By MozIsMyShepherd
  • 1 Post By MozIsMyShepherd

#1 Old 12-25-2014, 08:28 AM

Post Limits

Hello,

What are your personal limits concerning veganism, guys and girls?

I mean, do you mind going by bus where the tires are most likely produced using pig residues?

Or what are your thoughts about TV series, e.g. Sherlock, where there were some really not vegan things in some episodes (harpooning, animal experiments, etc.). Do you think it is really worth denying or it is the excess for you? How do you determine your excesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Beginner

Hi there! I do whatever is convenient and practical to keep my life as vegan as possible. The things I can't control, such as what bus tyres are made from, I try to minimise the usage of. For instance, I'll try to walk instead of take the bus, or I'll try and take an eco-friendly bus (we have rechargeable buses where I live now) to minimise my excess

For me, I don't watch a lot of television because there is gruesome stuff all over it. My boyfriend and I normally follow one or two TV shows at a time online, and then try to invest our spare time into more "real" things. I really don't appreciate the adverts etc. that go into it.

Until the whole world turns vegan, you can't avoid a little bit of omni habits sneaking into your lifestyle. That's something we'll have to accept and just keep minimising. Things I can control I really do obsess over though, to make sure I'm doing right by the planet where I can. This means shopping locally, using life-long and recyclable bags, buying organic, walking as much as possible, using eco-friendly services, using minimal electricity and hot water etc.!

Hope that answers your question all right!
#3 Old 01-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Vegan as f**k

Hi there and thanks for asking this difficult and brave question...

There is no easy answer. The reality is that any vegan living in a 21st century industrialised country is not going to be able to completely 100% eradicate animal products from their lives...In order to do this you would literally need to take yourself away from the rest of society and live in a forest/rainforest/savannah...However in order to actually encourage the growth of veganism you really need to stay around other people so you can't win lol...In all seriousness, do as much as you can and don't beat yourself up over things out of your control - lets face it the world is hardly the most vegan friendly environment...
Rayemond likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Limits

Personally I don't worry about abstaining from small things like tire rubber and tv show content. When I first became vegan I went through a phase of trying to be as "pure" vegan as possible. I think there is a period of trying to figure out just how vegan one should be. I've come to realize though that at a certain point you are only inconveniencing yourself. The bus will still run whether you get on it or not- and if you decide not to watch Sherlock but don't organize a large movement to bring enough other people as to financially harm the show to boycott it as well for the same reason, I cannot see how that will help the animals. The producers probably haven't given the faintest thought to the ethics of the harpooning or experiment scenes or to the fact that it might offend some viewers.

I am very solid in my vegan beliefs but am pretty relaxed about a lot of things. If I go out to eat, I assume tortillas are vegan and I drink wine when my friends offer, not knowing if there is isenglass in it. If I'm at a party and the salsa looks like it surely is vegan and I cannot visualize any way there could be animal products in it, I don't hunt down the salsa-bringer and ask for verification- I just assume it's good to go. I believe you need to decide what you are okay with yourself. There is a vegan idea which I agree with that it is more important to make veganism appear accessible and doable than it is to always be "pure."

For example: if people find out you cannot ride the bus or watch tv shows you like or go out to eat/drink anywhere because you are vegan, those people will see veganism as impossible to adhere to and will be less likely to attempt it themselves. They also may tell others about "This vegan I knew who couldn't even ______." On the other hand if you go out with a non vegan group often and seem to have as much fun as and live your life almost as easily as everyone else, if a time comes when one of your acquaintances considers veganism s/he will think of you and may be more inclined to try it. A friend of mine recently went "vegan" (as she calls it but she still eats any desserts she wants too) and I'd like to think that hanging around me may have played a part in that.

I personally want to make veganism seem as easy as possible to outsiders. But everyone is different and you'll have to figure out what's right for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by natty6; 01-14-2015 at 01:06 PM.
#5 Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post
Personally I don't worry about abstaining from small things like tire rubber and tv show content. When I first became vegan I went through a phase of trying to be as "pure" vegan as possible. I think there is a period of trying to figure out just how vegan one should be. I've come to realize though that at a certain point you are only inconveniencing yourself. The bus will still run whether you get on it or not- and if you decide not to watch Sherlock but don't organize a large movement to bring enough other people as to financially harm the show to boycott it as well for the same reason, I cannot see how that will help the animals. The producers probably haven't given the faintest thought to the ethics of the harpooning or experiment scenes or to the fact that it might offend some viewers.

I am very solid in my vegan beliefs but am pretty relaxed about a lot of things. If I go out to eat, I assume tortillas are vegan and I drink wine when my friends offer, not knowing if there is isenglass in it. If I'm at a party and the salsa looks like it surely is vegan and I cannot visualize any way there could be animal products in it, I don't hunt down the salsa-bringer and ask for verification- I just assume it's good to go. I believe you need to decide what you are okay with yourself. There is a vegan idea which I agree with that it is more important to make veganism appear accessible and doable than it is to always be "pure."

For example: if people find out you cannot ride the bus or watch tv shows you like or go out to eat/drink anywhere because you are vegan, those people will see veganism as impossible to adhere to and will be less likely to attempt it themselves. They also may tell others about "This vegan I knew who couldn't even ______." On the other hand if you go out with a non vegan group often and seem to have as much fun as and live your life almost as easily as everyone else, if a time comes when one of your acquaintances considers veganism s/he will think of you and may be more inclined to try it. A friend of mine recently went "vegan" (as she calls it but she still eats any desserts she wants too) and I'd like to think that hanging around me may have played a part in that.

I personally want to make veganism seem as easy as possible to outsiders. But everyone is different and you'll have to figure out what's right for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for this post
natty6 likes this.
#6 Old 01-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Bus tyres produced using pig residues? What about bike tyres? Who d have thought a pig could be used in so many different ways. But I imagine if bus tyres are then so will car tyres be, right? Then how do you get to work?
I don't watch TV...ahh no wait been getting a glimpse of RSPCA animal rescue program, but find it quite upsetting sometimes, luckily I rarely have the time for it. Seems like we are using animals in much more ways than just food labour and clothing... How do you learn all these things? Lots of internet research?

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#7 Old 01-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't wear any animal products, I wont eat any animal products. But I will watch TV shows where they show characters eating animals. I'm a huge fan of the Hunger Games series the books and the movies and I hate hunting(its ironic too there's a scene in Mockingjay where Katniss raises her bow to a buck nothing happens, but I heard loud gasps throughout the theater. I'm guessing the same people go and get cheeseburgers later. Im pretty sure the whole theater wasn't vegan). But it doesn't stop me from reading the books or watching the films. I agree with Go Vegan we don't live in a Vegan society, there's no way to get around some things unless you lived all alone in a forest. It is sad but true

Last edited by Jasminedesi16; 01-14-2015 at 01:53 PM.
#8 Old 01-14-2015, 01:53 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I like twilight and they are like killing machines, but it's fictional so not like any animals got hurt while filming it... I must admit I could never put myself through watching war films where horses get shot, I always felt more sorry for dying horses than for people
Jasminedesi16 likes this.

#9 Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Talk to her by pedro almodovar used to be my favourite film and it's about bull fighter going into a coma after being hurt by the bull...darkly happy ending in a vegan kind of way

#10 Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
we are using animals in much more ways than just food labour and clothing... How do you learn all these things? Lots of internet research?
I think a combination of your own reasoning, internet lectures/ videos and discussing with others on VB

There are also books on veganism (detailed lists are available in certain threads)
#11 Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
I think a combination of your own reasoning, internet lectures/ videos and discussing with others on VB

There are also books on veganism (detailed lists are available in certain threads)
I ordered a book on. Amazon for myself today and also got 'that's why we don't eat animals' book for my sons birthday to donate to his class, but am really worried it ll be rejected... I hope not as I'll be very upset if it does, it'll be a real rare treasure in the school and will hopefully make some kids think
Rayemond likes this.

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 01-16-2015 at 03:44 PM.
#12 Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
I ordered a book on. Amazon for myself today and also hot 'that's why we don't eat animals' book for my sons birthday to donate to his class, but am really worried it ll be rejected... I hope not as I'll be very upset if it does, it'll be a real rare treasure in the school and will hopefully make some kids think
I think it's a great idea to appeal to children in this way...

Children are (usually) inherently benevolent towards animals and so getting their attention young is a good plan.

Gary Yourofsky himself has said that he has had trouble being allowed to talk to children, even gently, about animals as there is this whole lie told to them from day 1...

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#13 Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:

Children are (usually) inherently benevolent towards animals and so getting their attention young is a good plan.

Gary Yourofsky himself has said that he has had trouble being allowed to talk to children, even gently, about animals as there is this whole lie told to them from day 1...
Oh really, I've never heard that speech or interview, so that doesn't leave much hope to me... Although my son has a very cool open minded teacher and I still hope she might think it's not a bad idea. And if it comes to worst I'll either donate it to our library or keep It at home just for us

#14 Old 01-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:

He uses so much graphic detailed sad description in his talk and that's what works as you have to shock people to get them thinking, so wonder how he'd adapt it for children. Shame he wasn't allowed. He could still post a lecture tailored for kids on YouTube. I'd be very curious how he'd go about it...

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 01-16-2015 at 03:51 PM.
#15 Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
He uses so much graphic detailed sad description in his talk and that's what works as you have to shock people to get them thinking, so wonder how he'd adapt it for children. Shame he wasn't allowed. He could still post a lecture tailored for kids on YouTube. I'd be very curious how he'd go about it...
Yes he could. I don't think he would like to cut too much out though, for fear of adding to the misinformation that kids receive...

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page