• 1 Post By veggiestez
  • 3 Post By Purp
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By TheHiddenAngel
  • 1 Post By Marjoram

#1 Old 11-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Part-Time Russian

The Spider and Me

I've been scared of all insects most of my life. I was taught to kill and squish them. But since I became Vegan 5 mos ago, I have seen not just animal lives as precious but insects as well. I began trying not to run from bees and when I'd see an insect in the house I'd either take them outside or let them stay. I still however have a problem with spiders and roaches. Theyre the ones I was taught to fear the most. Well today, while rummaging the cabinet for seaweed, i see a brown and red speck out of the corner of my eye. I turn and theres this spider at eye level with me. I jump back at first, but he hung there and stared at me. I looked at him a while before calmly grabbing a cup and held it under him. He slid right down into the cup and I released him onto the back porch. We know all life is precious, but how do you guys feel about insects?
Purp and leedsveg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have done the same. No need to kill an insect in one's house unless there are literally hundreds of them invading the area (this happened to me in 2008 when thousands of hornets invaded the inside of our house). Mostly I just leave them alone but if I feel uncomfortable sharing my bed for example with a spider I will gently move him/her outside. Food areas are the same. I have a healthy fear and respect for insects, but I am not overly afraid of them and do not feel the need to kill one just because it is in the house. Except mosquitos when I am bitten. I might instinctively slap it.

This little bugger took an interest in me a few years ago when I was camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	5393   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	5401  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually woken up with a spider right infront of my face on the pillow. I ignored it as it doesn't bother me at all, but I live in a place with no poisonous spiders so I never worry about them.

I will mash mosquitoes any time I see them though. Little *******s.

oh and naturebound, that's a neat looking bug. I went on a decently long bike ride with one that was similar to that, though probably twice as large. It camped out on my shoulder the whole way hehe.

edit-------------
Oh I never said how I feel about them. I try not to kill them, but I don't go too out of my way to not kill them like staying off grass or not driving a car or anything like that. Unless they are attacking me like mozzies which I kill all the time and wasps which I sometimes will kill if they're after me. Wish wasps were more like bees, they never attack me.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by odizzido; 11-29-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 AM

I'm afraid of a lot of insects including spiders, but I never kill them unless there is absolutely no other option. I try to live my life by Buddhist principles so I was like this before coming vegan but now than I am vegan it feels much more like I'm fully living what I believe.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 11-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Insects and spiders don't bother me...I just let them be.
Tom, LedBoots and DTASFAB like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM

Thats lovely that you managed to let it out! I'm really scared of spiders and other crawling insects (the flying ones are fine) and I struggle a lot with it sometimes. If there's someone else around I can just ask them to deal with it instead, but when I'm alone it becomes very difficult. Usually I just leave the room, haha. If I'm feeling really brave and it's a small bug I might manage to take it outside.
#7 Old 11-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
I don't like the nasty mean wasps and dragon flies have always creeped me out. I like yellow and black bumble bees. They're cute. And I like spiders too, especially the big furry ones. The only ones I don't like are the ones with really long, thin legs. Black spiders with little black feets are cute. I let them go outside in the summer. In the winter I feel bad about making them freeze, so I just toss them in the area under the water meter in my basement.
#8 Old 11-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Try one of these! Not always big enoughbfor our enormous Florida insects and spiders, but for those my son uses a big cup and a piece of cardboard. And a butterfly net for wasps/bees.
http://www.petacatalog.com/products/...her-584-3.html
#9 Old 12-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Veganarchist

I actually like insects and spiders quite a bit. I've grossed my family out on more than one occasion when I pick up a roach who is struggling on their back to help him/her.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#10 Old 12-03-2014, 03:54 AM

My line in the sand: If it is poisonous or sucks blood, it has to die.

(My apologies if the above offends anyone. And no, I will not surrender my vegan card.)

I, much to the amusement (or consternation) of my wife, will catch most of types of bugs to put them outside. I also will stop the car to get grasshoppers and such off the car / windshield before continuing on.

Always be satisfied with what you have. Never be satisfied with what you are.
#11 Old 12-03-2014, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was a kid I was super scared of insects, but I blame that on my mom who raised me like that. When we came back to Canada (and much smaller spiders and such) I decided I was tired of being scared of spiders and bees and I shock therapy myself! I let a spider crawl on my arm, realized I was not getting bit, no harm, realized people are freaking out for nothing (no poisonous spiders here). Same with bees I was actually petting them while they were busy doing bee stuff on clover flowers. Even helped a bee with my hands to go back outside, if you are relaxed and calm movement the bee is not getting scared and sting. I even picked up a tarantula at a Christmas zoo fair for the kids, she snuggled in my hand it was amazing, I was so terrified of them when I was young! Really happy I got over bug fear that my mom stupidly raise me with.

And that is what I taught my kid who is growing up never being scared of insects. He laugh at his school mates if a bee or a spider is in the class and helps the teacher getting it back outside. Don't squish a bug in my house my son will be all over you before I even say a word. He's a real tree hugger too, always was since he's little.

For the mosquitoes and roaches: I'll try to get them out/blow them off me if they are a loner but don't invade my place! Never happened to me but a cockroache infestation is super unhealthy for humans so I would not tolerate them inside.
TheHiddenAngel likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page