Quinoa, bread, milk subs, and cereal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 AM

Quinoa, bread, milk subs, and cereal?

Is quinoa healthy? It has a high omega 6 to omega 3 ratio.

Are breads healthy? Provided they are not highly processed?

Are there healthy breakfast cereals? Again, provided they vegan and not processed and loaded with sugar?

Are soy, almond, and coconut milk healthy? Carrageenan?

Do I need to worry about intake of omega 6 if I take a dha/epa supplement? If so, which do you think is an ideal amount for the dha/epa supp?

Thanks,

Dood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, they are healthy. Quinoa and minimally processed bread (ie homemade or Ezekiel brand for instance) provide B vitamins, fiber, protein, and a host of micronutrients. They help stabilize blood sugar and keep you full longer due to soluble/insoluble fiber. Plant milks are fine. And for the record, carrageenan is found in many foods, even many omnivore foods. It is not limited to plant milk. There are some plant milks without it if that is a concern.

http://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-g...h-carrageenan/

You can also make your own plant milk. Flaxseed milk requires little more than whole flaxseeds and water and a sweetener such as whole dates if you so desire sweetener. It helps to have a high speed blender or food processor and nutmilk bag or cheesecloth for filtering. Nut milks are great homemade also. And homemade coconut milk from a coconut.

Instead of processed boxed breakfast cereals, why not have some oats? or soaked raw buckwheat groats and fresh fruit? Processed vegan breakfast cereals can be healthy if not too much sugar and they have their place but I don't like them much because they are not filling and are very expensive. I don't buy them more than once or twice a year for a treat.

I wouldn't stress too much about every detail of your diet and whether it is healthy enough. If you eat a variety of whole foods every day you'll be fine. Include a few servings of nuts/seeds/flax or avocado, leafy greens, a few servings of beans, and many servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Incorporate whole grains too. I recommend reading "Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet"
by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, both RDs. This book has extensive information about how to meet your needs as a vegan and they cite many scientific studies done on various subjects. I believe they have a long extensive chapter on good fats, including DHA/EPA. It will help put your mind at ease. They also compare various styles of vegan diets, from paleo to high carb low fat to living raw and fruitarian etc.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. Looking at every possible drawback and the eliminating that food, doesn't leave much.

I bought some hemp hearts, but haven't tried them yet. I do eat oats and tend to mix in some cereal with it. I tend to go a little overboard with cereal.

I couldn't do the no grain or sugar attempt. I cracked. So, I learned - maybe not so much cereal and bread (and switch to a healthier bread). I just bought some frozen fruits, banana, flax seeds (and the hemp mentioned above). Smoothie time?

Guilty of not enough veggies and fruits. Loaded up on veggies on my last shopping trip. And, my coke and mountain dew issue, finally beat it. At first it was coke zero, which is awful BTW. Then gatorade, an improvement. And now G2 gatorade. 80 calories for a 32 oz bottle. 32 oz of coke would be 464 cals. The switch to water... well, not yet.

dood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Good for you for making some healthy changes! Hey, small steps are sometimes the best way to go! I started eating a lot healthier back in 2007 and one of the first things I cut out was soda pop and carbonated beverages. That alone will go a long way in reducing sugar and sodium in your diet. And it will help you bones. I am still soda pop free and haven't touched it since then.

Fruits and veggies can be a lot of fun and very tasty if you know how to prepare them and incorporate them into your diet. You don't always have to eat them straight as is or in salads or boiled and as a side dish. Here are a few ideas to make them more exciting:

saute a few chopped carrots, onion, and celery in a large pot with either a little oil or veggie broth or water. Add some navy or great northern white beans (can or 1.5 cups dried and cooked). Sprinkle in some garlic powder, curry powder, ginger powder or use fresh garlic and ginger. Add four cups of water and/or vegetable broth, bring to a boil, and simmer for twenty minutes. Then pour the soup in batches into a blender and blend to get a very creamy white bean carrot curry soup.

Cut up some tempeh into square cubes (or use extra firm tofu or just use chickpeas or even nuts like cashews). Add it to a nonstick skillet or use a little oil or water to simmer it. Also add some chopped onion, fresh chopped broccoli, and fresh pineapple (or use canned pineapple made with juice if in a hurry). Incorporate some of the juice from the pineapple. Add some garlic powder or fresh garlic and maybe a little dijon mustard or mustard powder and stir to mix in your tempeh/pineapple, broccoli mixture. In the meantime, cook some brown rice in another pot. When all is done and soft, mix the tempeh broccoli pineapple dish over the brown rice and you've got a tasty filling meal.

If you have a crockpot, try this recipe:
http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes...auerkraut.html

I add uncooked red lentils to it to boost protein and nutrition. This is an awesome stew, and requires little more than chopping vegetables and throwing everything into a crockpot. I do this sort of dish on a Sunday morning and then forget about it til dinner. I also utilize my crockpot to make large batches of soups, stews, and other dishes for lunches for the work week.

You can also make homemade plain vegan pancakes without adding any sugar. Make the batter, then pour into a skillet. While that is cooking, chop some kale or spinach or another leafy green into bits. Chop some bell pepper or celery and onions. Maybe some tomatoes. When the pancake starts to firm up and bubble, sprinkle some vegetables on it, then take a spatula and fold the pancake over in half so the veggies are tucked inside like an omelet. Let it cook for a minute, then flip and cook the other side. I add a dollup of salsa on top of my finished pancake. Any vegan sauce on top will do, or none at all. Or even catsup. I personally use chickpea flour and water for my batter and mix in cracked black pepper but I understand chickpea flour can be hard to find for some people. I get it at a whole foods health store (Bob's Red Mill is the brand I use).

Get some couscous as it is very quick and easy to make. All you do is add some dry couscous to a bowl (1/3 cup dried makes one cup cooked I believe). Boil one cup of water. Pour the water over the couscous and cover the bowl for five minutes and viola you have fluffy cooked couscous. Now add some chopped dates, carrot, and shredded coconut. Add some spices like cinnamon, maybe a splash of plant milk. This makes a great breakfast or lunch.

The ideas are endless. Smoothie are the best way for getting a concentrated amount of fruits and veggies in a serving or two. I love to use frozen bananas (I take a banana, chop into five or six bites, and put in a freezer ziplock back in the freezer. I do this with a batch of bananas and store them in the freezer to have on hand). Melon and cantaloupe and peaches make thick creamy smoothies too. Citrus fruits added make it sweet without the need to add sugar. I throw in several cups of leafy greens too. If you have a cheap blender you can still add softer lettuces and spinach and it will blend. I have even added cooked/cooled carrots to the blender with fresh chopped coconut and coconut water/milk for a treat.

If you want a sweet snack, dates are the way to go, and bananas. No prep work either. A handful of cashews or almonds (whole unsalted) will keep you full for a long time. I have had a bowl of fresh fruits and nuts for breakfast and have had some of my best workouts at the gym following this lol.

I am guilty of too much coffee and too little water. I think my fruit intake helps make up for that though. Progress not perfection right? Keep up the good work!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 11-25-2014, 08:18 PM

thanks for the suggestions. I've had the book "the vegan slow cooker." I haven't tried anything in it yet. I'm a basic food kind of guy. Vegan sandwiches and vegan salads with beans mixed in. Steam some broccoli and cauliflower (and some other other frozen veggies. Going easier on grains. Doing less soy, but still drinking it.

Smoothies so far... not so great. Hemp hearts, ground flax seed, soy milk, banana, bags of various frozen fruits, and hemp protein. Not so good. If I'm very hungry or thirsty, I can handle it.

One day I'll take the plunge and try some more creative recipes.

Miss my cereals. It was a big staple of mine. Prefer it to the smoothies. Lots of fruits, flax, hemp hearts, bananas, and cereal of course.

dood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page