• 2 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By Charley95
  • 1 Post By Go Vegan
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88

#1 Old 10-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Dealing With Non-Vegan Friends and Family

if you’re newly vegan or considering going vegan, one of the biggest challenges can be the reactions of your friends and family. in this interview, vegan activist Gary Yourofsky shares his approach to both non-vegan friends & family and also people who become combative about the vegan message. and check out part II, Gary’s one rule for eating with non-vegans: http://bit.ly/1wB2inQ what are your thoughts on this matter? how do you interact with people of different dietary persuasions? (whether you’re vegan or non-vegan) let me know in the comments!
Purp and MozIsMyShepherd like this.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Emily -

Good video.....it hashes out a lot of topics. No Ooby cameo, though

My belief is that you have to mix veganist beliefs, tolerance & compassion together for a social smoothie.

If someone wants to eat at my house, it's understood that meat will not be cooked. If I go out with some peeps to a restaurant, and someone orders meat.....it's their decision. I'm not gonna throw down my veggie burrito in disgust. While I STRONGLY DISAGREE with their dietary choices.....I used to be them. If I can compassionately educate them, maybe they will change. Maybe not.

I respect Gary a great deal, however he has a different approach. I admire his passion, but my path is a little more subtle & informative. Ghandi liberated India without a gun or a knife......only words. We need to recognize our differences with our onmi friends, suggest change, and wait for the results. Some people will change, some never will. All you can do is all you can do.

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT MEAT FREE DAY!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Last edited by Vegan Dave; 10-27-2014 at 03:30 PM.
#3 Old 10-28-2014, 03:19 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
I respect Gary a great deal, however he has a different approach. I admire his passion, but my path is a little more subtle & informative. Ghandi liberated India without a gun or a knife......only words. We need to recognize our differences with our onmi friends, suggest change, and wait for the results. Some people will change, some never will. All you can do is all you can do.
People like Yourofsky are why vegans are pigeon holed as ecoterrorist whackos by the general population. It's possible to feel passionately about an idea, a belief, or a way of living without resorting to the semi-psychotic rhetoric he helped popularize as the standard for vegan activism. He has never been the sort of messenger I have ever wanted to represent me and his message is not one I want to be associated with. While I abhor violence to animals above all else, some of the things Yourofsky is on record as saying with complete conviction has left me absolutely sickened. I'm always surprised that anyone who prides themselves on living a compassionate and kind life would identify with a man who proudly advocates unspeakable violence against other humans.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Emily -

Good video.....it hashes out a lot of topics. No Ooby cameo, though

My belief is that you have to mix veganist beliefs, tolerance & compassion together for a social smoothie.

If someone wants to eat at my house, it's understood that meat will not be cooked. If I go out with some peeps to a restaurant, and someone orders meat.....it's their decision. I'm not gonna throw down my veggie burrito in disgust. While I STRONGLY DISAGREE with their dietary choices.....I used to be them. If I can compassionately educate them, maybe they will change. Maybe not.

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT MEAT FREE DAY!!!!
thank you for sharing your approach. i like the idea of a social smoothie i tend to fall somewhere between you and gary, swinging in either direction from time to time. i'm mostly non-confrontational and compassionate but will drive a hard line when it seems necessary.
Poppy, Purp and Vegan Dave like this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#5 Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised By Wolves View Post
I'm always surprised that anyone who prides themselves on living a compassionate and kind life would identify with a man who proudly advocates unspeakable violence against other humans.
If this was in reference to my post, I will elaborate.

All I know about Gary is his vegan activism, through several videos posted here & elsewhere. I admire his passion for spreading the message of animal compassion. There are very few people that get that message out.

My non-violent approach & respect toward animals extends to humans as well. I don't condone any violence whatsoever. If Gary has stated somewhere that he advocates violence, I strongly disagree with him.
Purp likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#6 Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Banned

Kick his uncle's ass? Why can't this guy ever make his point without threatening somebody? My only dining rule is I wouldn't eat with Gary Yourofsky.
Alex JB and Raised By Wolves like this.
#7 Old 10-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
If this was in reference to my post, I will elaborate.

All I know about Gary is his vegan activism, through several videos posted here & elsewhere. I admire his passion for spreading the message of animal compassion. There are very few people that get that message out.

My non-violent approach & respect toward animals extends to humans as well. I don't condone any violence whatsoever. If Gary has stated somewhere that he advocates violence, I strongly disagree with him.
That wasn't directed at you, Dave. It was just a general reference to a dichotomy that I find puzzling. Anyone that's familiar with Yourofsky's background and history should know that he advocates violence which I find completely incongruous with a compassionate lifestyle.
Purp, Vegan Dave and Rhei like this.
#8 Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised By Wolves View Post
That wasn't directed at you, Dave. It was just a general reference to a dichotomy that I find puzzling. Anyone that's familiar with Yourofsky's background and history should know that he advocates violence which I find completely incongruous with a compassionate lifestyle.
Thanks for the clarification.
I didn't know, since you included a quote from my post.

I am the anti-violence guy. I hold Gandhi, the Dali Llama, Mother Theresa, and Thich Nhat Hanh in high esteem. When I find a moth, or something in my house, I scoop it up & take it outside.

Violence is for those that have not tried logical discussion, or some type of ego reduction technique.
Purp likes this.

#9 Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM

I don't have many problems with this now, but it was pretty difficult being a vegetarian when I was in primary school. I was mocked and made fun of all the time, and my friends literally used to try and force non-vegetarian food into my mouth. I put up with it then, but I really shouldn't have. It was cruel. Things are a lot easier as an adult, but you still get the odd person who will have a go at you. I just ignore them, because I know I'm doing the right thing.
Purp likes this.

"Animals are my friends, and I don't eat my friends." - George Bernard Shaw

My blog all about veganism:
#10 Old 10-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vegan Scholar View Post
I was mocked and made fun of all the time, and my friends literally used to try and force non-vegetarian food into my mouth.
What is it with omnivores thinking it's funny to "trick" vegetarians and vegans into eating animal products? My mother did this once shortly after I became vegetarian a couple of years ago. She only did it once.

Let's set aside for a moment that it's incredibly disrespectful to do something like that, but one of the big reasons behind my decision to live a compassionate, plant-based lifestyle is for my health. My body doesn't like animal products. So it's incredibly frustrating that people will try and sneak animal products to veggie-eaters, ignoring the fact that they could very well have an adverse health reaction from it! Some people can even be allergic to meat. If someone had a peanut allergy, would they try and sneak them some peanut butter?
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegathles View Post
What is it with omnivores thinking it's funny to "trick" vegetarians and vegans into eating animal products? My mother did this once shortly after I became vegetarian a couple of years ago. She only did it once.

Let's set aside for a moment that it's incredibly disrespectful to do something like that, but one of the big reasons behind my decision to live a compassionate, plant-based lifestyle is for my health. My body doesn't like animal products. So it's incredibly frustrating that people will try and sneak animal products to veggie-eaters, ignoring the fact that they could very well have an adverse health reaction from it! Some people can even be allergic to meat. If someone had a peanut allergy, would they try and sneak them some peanut butter?
I genuinely have no idea why... it's very strange and very rude. I've only ever had young kids do it to me, when I was a kid myself, so maybe it was just their lack of understanding. Nobody really knew what vegetarianism was when I was in primary school. I'm appalled that your mother would do that to you... adults really should know better.
Purp likes this.

"Animals are my friends, and I don't eat my friends." - George Bernard Shaw

My blog all about veganism:
#12 Old 10-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegathles View Post
i think that is just blatantly cruel, spiteful and manipulative....it may not always come from a malicious place but it's always malicious in nature...
Purp likes this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#13 Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 PM

Good video. I just watched another on of his speeches that I found posted by We Dig Food. My mom is always making food that I can't eat and then is offend when I pass on eating them.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 10-31-2014, 03:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrold View Post
Good video. I just watched another on of his speeches that I found posted by We Dig Food. My mom is always making food that I can't eat and then is offend when I pass on eating them.
ha...i've had that happen more than once
Purp and MHarrold like this.

--------

YouTube:

Facebook:

#15 Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

People can be mean and think it's funny to feed you non vegan food. I hate being so mistrustful.
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 01-15-2015, 04:24 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Great video. I find his passionate clever speeches very inspiring. unlike others I'm not at all offended when he compares holocaust and human slavery to what we've been doing to animals for so long now. I totally agree with most stuff he says.

I think it's very easy and unfair to criticise someone who is actively trying to make a difference on a global scape

As for his advice in part 2 how to deal with non vegans...I'm not sure I can put that to practice right now. I'm very new to veganism and this Saturday is going to be the first time since I've changed to vegan diet and lifestyle that I'll be going out to dinner with people from work. This was arranged before I became vegan and I can't imagine turning around now and telling everyone that I'll not be there unless all eat vegan. Although in the future I can imagine trying to persuade people to eat vegetarian when eating with me.

That advice is also inpractical if you have children who are not vegan. Saying that I'm always happy to see his new videos and always happy to learn from someone I look up to
Purp likes this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#17 Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Beginner

Wow, you guys know a lot of *******s. I've experience zero resistance from friends and family about my veganism. Just last week co-workers asked for a recipe cause they said my lunch smelled delicious. They ate the baked treats I bought in yesterday. I converted one friend to now drinking dairy free milk. My other friend knows I'm a beauty junkie and always tags me in vegan and cruelty free make up and clothes on IG. I also did a vegan beauty and food haul with friends at Lush and Whole foods in December. My friends and family would never try to trick me to eat something. Well my mom did once when I was a kid, but that was to eat more vegetables (she told me broccoli would give me super powers). I guess I'm lucky.
Purp likes this.
#18 Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Great video. I find his passionate clever speeches very inspiring. unlike others I'm not at all offended when he compares holocaust and human slavery to what we've been doing to animals for so long now. I totally agree with most stuff he says.
I used to be so offended when 'those crazy vegetarians' would compare meat industry to slavery. I'd think they'd were minimizing the horror of my ancestors. It was only after watching Earthlings (is that the movie Joaquin Phoenix narrates?) that I really began to understand speciesim and what I was perpetuating. Also, there was quotation that I posted in Veggie/Vegan image and quote threat that talked about fighting injustice (1960s and 70s black civil rights movement), but support another kind by eating meat. That's when it really hit home for me.

----

As for those who are more outspoken, aggressive, and are activists, my friend is Jewish and compares it to Orthodox Judaism. My friend said that the majority of Jews are no longer Orthodox, but Orthodox Jews are very important for maintaining the culture, legacy, and the religion. I feel like those who are in your face get things done. I appreciate that.
Purp likes this.
#19 Old 01-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanVegan View Post
I used to be so offended when 'those crazy vegetarians' would compare meat industry to slavery. I'd think they'd were minimizing the horror of my ancestors. It was only after watching Earthlings (is that the movie Joaquin Phoenix narrates?) that I really began to understand speciesim and what I was perpetuating. Also, there was quotation that I posted in Veggie/Vegan image and quote threat that talked about fighting injustice (1960s and 70s black civil rights movement), but support another kind by eating meat. That's when it really hit home for me.

----

As for those who are more outspoken, aggressive, and are activists, my friend is Jewish and compares it to Orthodox Judaism. My friend said that the majority of Jews are no longer Orthodox, but Orthodox Jews are very important for maintaining the culture, legacy, and the religion. I feel like those who are in your face get things done. I appreciate that.
Joaquin Phoenix does narrate Earthlings!

I appreciate why some people could get offended by the use of words like "slavery" and "holocaust" if they did not understand the current situation with respect to animal suffering...

The intention is not to belittle human suffering at all, but rather to draw attention to the fact that animals are oppressed as well as humans and they need their story to be heard too...
Purp and SweetPotato like this.
#20 Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

When my sister's stepdaughter's Half-brother and half-sister moved here, we were told they were vegan. My knowledge of veganism was scant (or non-existent, depending on how honest or polite you are) I promptly went to the libraries (I have access to 4)!! and checked out not only cookbooks, but things like the Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Nutrition, and books like that, so I could pepper them with questions such as, "Is your dinner good?" or "Do you dream of rescued sheep?" rather then, "Where do you get your protein?" 3 years on, I'm a vegan and have advised other people on veganism.
Poppy and LedBoots like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#21 Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM

When people ask me why I don't eat meat I usually give them a very graphic description of why meat disgusts me. Usually shuts them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp likes this.
#22 Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vegan Scholar View Post
I don't have many problems with this now, but it was pretty difficult being a vegetarian when I was in primary school. I was mocked and made fun of all the time, and my friends literally used to try and force non-vegetarian food into my mouth. I put up with it then, but I really shouldn't have. It was cruel. Things are a lot easier as an adult, but you still get the odd person who will have a go at you. I just ignore them, because I know I'm doing the right thing.

This used to happen to me at college, my "friends" used to throw meat at me and find my reaction hilarious. My friend now will shove chicken in my face (I know she means well and it's only a joke I love the girl to bits) so I respond by throwing tomatoes back at her (she hates tomatoes)
It sucks but it's not so common anymore.

Purp likes this.
#23 Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley95 View Post
When people ask me why I don't eat meat I usually give them a very graphic description of why meat disgusts me. Usually shuts them up

I am sure it does! If people were given a guided tour of a slaughterhouse I think the probability of them going veggie/ vegan would shoot up astronomically!
Purp and Charley95 like this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#24 Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Vegan as f**k

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian."

Paul McCartney
Purp likes this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#25 Old 01-17-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post

Paul McCartney

This is the reason I turned veggie in the first place!

Purp likes this.
#26 Old 01-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley95 View Post
This is the reason I turned veggie in the first place!

Macca was right then
Purp likes this.
#27 Old 02-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Longtime vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post

Paul McCartney

Purp likes this.
#28 Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieSince88 View Post
I think I need that shirt in my life. :/

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page