Living with a non vegan spouse? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

#61 Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Veganarchist

I respect your choice to have a vegan spouse but I feel the domestic abuse comparison is wrong, not just due to the differences but due to the simple fact that someone here may have been abused in the past and you bringing things like that up can seem quite insensitive. I am not in a relationship at the moment, I don't have the time and I for one would likely prefer a long term relationship with another vegan or at least an open minded omni willing to become a vegan; not just due to the dietary aspect but due to the overall moral and ethical motives. I don't believe in using other beings, human or not, for my own pleasure while discarding their well being. None the less OP your comparison was insensitive in my opinion.

"Until every cage is empty, no justice, just us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
If this question is directed at me.....the answer is no.

My preference is to live with a vegetarian or vegan spouse. Some people can live with an omni. That's perfectly OK. My preference in no way casts any judgement or dispersion on anyone with a different opinion. All vegans and vegetarians are created equal. There is no hierarchy, or reason for a holier-than-thou anything. Is there really a "perfect vegan" out there somewhere?

We're all in this together, some at different places. We should hold each other up, irregardless of small differences, rather than create division.

HAVE A GREAT MEAT FREE DAY!!!!!!
Sorry Dave, no, my post was all for Veganic One

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#63 Old 12-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiddenAngel View Post
I respect your choice to have a vegan spouse but I feel the domestic abuse comparison is wrong, not just due to the differences but due to the simple fact that someone here may have been abused in the past and you bringing things like that up can seem quite insensitive. I am not in a relationship at the moment, I don't have the time and I for one would likely prefer a long term relationship with another vegan or at least an open minded omni willing to become a vegan; not just due to the dietary aspect but due to the overall moral and ethical motives. I don't believe in using other beings, human or not, for my own pleasure while discarding their well being. None the less OP your comparison was insensitive in my opinion.
Again....(sorry)....if this is in reference to my post......

Domestic abuse should not be tolerated at any level whatsoever.

ALL sentient beings, human or animal, should be regarded with the utmost respect.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Dave,

I think that if people were referencing to your post, they would probably quote your post.
theverdevegan likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#65 Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Veganarchist

No worries Vegan Dave, I was talking to the OP.

"Until every cage is empty, no justice, just us."
#66 Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Vegan Dave,

I think that if people were referencing to your post, they would probably quote your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiddenAngel View Post
No worries Vegan Dave, I was talking to the OP.
Note to self......stop reading these posts so literally. LOL

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#67 Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

The OP is not being too intolerant.

Don't assume that marriage is always right. With the 50% divorce rate in America.... one could argue the opposite.

So if somebody doesn't give a rats ass about your beliefs.... screw em.
Vegan Dave likes this.
#68 Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

While I concede that there are those who don't give a rat's ass, my meat-eating spouse is certainly not one of them. He's effectively dietary vegan 5 out of 7 days a week, he now chooses vegan cafes for our weekend brunches and he has accepted my changing his toothpaste, soap, etc to vegan brands - all these and more for no other reason than he is being considerate of my beliefs.

If I let him go for not sharing my vegan beliefs (as the OP seems to prefer), I think all I would have accomplished is returning someone into general society who will certainly revert to fulltime meat-eating and using all sorts of things tested on animals. And I won't be able to offset the negative effect of that by replacing him with someone who is already vegan!

I'm not sure but I would hope that the pig which would then become my husband's weekend bacon and the cow which would be his frequent dinner steak would forgive me easier for staying with a meat-eating spouse in our current situation than not. I don't think they care whether or not my husband gives a rat's ass about believing in my veganism, only that more of them get spared a cruel fate instead of less. It's not about me and my beliefs - it's about the animals. If I have to "compromise" myself to spare more animals, so be it!

Having said that, I will continue to influence him to come around to the vegan way, regardless of the years it might take.
#69 Old 12-04-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

Except I think that the OP is giving the exact opposite advice.

I love the smell of irony in the morning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peace.....Love......Zumba

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
food , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page