Vent - Cowspiracy film got me upset - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Veg-Jill
  • 1 Post By lightergait

#1 Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM

Unhappy Vent - Cowspiracy film got me upset

Just watched Cowspiracy - I've seen many other films but this got me real emotional and upset... because as I was watching, I was thinking "What are we doing to our planet? Why are so many who know the issue (and I mean everyone who knows, not necessarily only the environmentalist groups, governments) not even trying to do anything??? How can the issue be ignored at this scale? How can we not care how our actions affect others in this context where we can realistically do something? What do we say about this to the kids of the future???"

I'm sad, frustrated and mostly depressed and, as I already said, directed towards every person who KNOWs and doesn't even TRY to do SOMETHING/ANYTHING about the problem, even if only to some limited extent. That would still be an effort at least, not this total disregard.
And I'm not excusing myself here, I'm sure I could do more but I have to take comfort that I at least accept the problem exists and that I'm trying to do my part (I might drive myself crazy otherwise).

Am I being overly dramatic? Just writing my immediate reaction to the film really...
Glad to have this forum for these situations.
Vegan Dave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Beginner

You are not being dramatic at all! People call me overdramatic for ranting like you just have when it's not us being stupid, it's us having passion! The first two weeks of going vegan I hated EVERYBODY. I mean EVERYBODY that touched meat and dairy - I nearly broke up with my boyfriend because he didn't immediately turn vegan (he was veggie). I thought "Why on earth do you enjoy dairy and eggs? I am dating someone with seriously little empathy." I calmed down but videos like that still get me riled up and I burst into tears!

I ask myself the same things all the time. Especially the question of, rather than "Why don't they care?", I think "Why don't they WANT to care?" One of my friends had pig meat in Spain and they served her the pig's entire body, including it's face. She vomited, cried and had to have her boyfriend swap meals with her... And yet she is still a meateater? She admits that she has to block out the guilt in order for her to eat meat and dairy but whenever is something "moral" when it makes you feel the need to block how guilty it makes you feel? Guilt is a sign of immorality.

Private message me if you ever feel the need to rant again. I feel like we have very similar frustrations (albeit other vegans here probably have the same thoughts)!
#3 Old 10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Veg-Jill -

Good Rant!

I feel the same way. I just got a video that covers what you are talking about in the mail today. (See below). It's from Dr.s Campbell & Esselstyn.....need I saw more?

I haven't watched COWSPIRACY, but it's next on my list. Both deal with the same topic. I don't get frustrated, since the overwhelming mindset is so flawed. People think vegans are some weird cult, or something. EDUCATION is the key. The more people learn, the wiser they will be!!

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 4.43.01 PM.png
Views: 255
Size:  368.8 KB

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 PM

Lightergait,
thank you for the offer. Don't be surprised if I take you up on it I don't know any other vegan (not yet but now reaching out to vegan groups here) and I have one vegetarian friend living in a different state who does it for health reasons so not exactly always relatable.

Even though the film's focus is environment and I'm vegan for the animals, it bothered me terribly. I'm assuming it's because anyone, including me, who can feel such empathy towards animals must feel as much concern for what a dying planet means to its people in general.

Or do I feel this disturbed because I'm a new vegan, eyes just opened and seeing everything that's wrong for the first time and all at once and it overwhelms? Your experience as a 2-week-old vegan hating everyone, I can so relate. I have an omni husband who saw Forks over Knives with me and, while very supportive of the change I've made, no real effect on him - how is that possible when he's a good kind person?? But, like you, I have learned to deal with the negativity (though tbh, I still give hubby dagger looks on the now seldom times he eats meat). Or do we get beaten down/mellow out after some time of being vegan so we don't react as strongly (do I want that?)?

And yes, "Why don't they WANT to care?" For many good people, how can they not translate their love for their kids, grandkids and regard for their future into motivation to making the/some change? I don't have kids but the possibility alone of bringing a life into this world makes me more determined to stay on this vegan path.

Hmmm, writing all these thoughts down really makes me feel better. And in this forum, I don't even try to censor my words, thank goodness. Such a relief! Though this probably should be that private message to you...
#5 Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
EDUCATION is the key. The more people learn, the wiser they will be!!
I've found it very hard to accept the realisation that just because people get the education doesn't mean they'll do something - my one real frustration so far and quite disheartening

I know what you mean, though, about educating people because lights do get turned on for some - like me. And, as I mentioned in this forum before, seeing the number of new members signing up to veggieboards everyday fills me with hope that many people out there do care.

I'll look up that PlanEat video. I'm always interested to watch such films.
Haven't explored the forum thoroughly but I wonder if there is a Resource section where it just lists videos, articles, other materials related to our veg*n concerns which members can add to when they know any? I don't mean a post thread, just a list. That would be helpful for new vegs. I've seen a few threads where members ask for suggestions on these things, videos, books, vitamins, etc. and the same info gets repeated each time and was hoping they were consolidated somewhere without going through every post....
#6 Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg-Jill View Post
Even though the film's focus is environment and I'm vegan for the animals, it bothered me terribly. I'm assuming it's because anyone, including me, who can feel such empathy towards animals must feel as much concern for what a dying planet means to its people in general.

Or do I feel this disturbed because I'm a new vegan, eyes just opened and seeing everything that's wrong for the first time and all at once and it overwhelms? Your experience as a 2-week-old vegan hating everyone, I can so relate. I have an omni husband who saw Forks over Knives with me and, while very supportive of the change I've made, no real effect on him - how is that possible when he's a good kind person?? But, like you, I have learned to deal with the negativity (though tbh, I still give hubby dagger looks on the now seldom times he eats meat). Or do we get beaten down/mellow out after some time of being vegan so we don't react as strongly (do I want that?)?

And yes, "Why don't they WANT to care?" For many good people, how can they not translate their love for their kids, grandkids and regard for their future into motivation to making the/some change? I don't have kids but the possibility alone of bringing a life into this world makes me more determined to stay on this vegan path.

Hmmm, writing all these thoughts down really makes me feel better. And in this forum, I don't even try to censor my words, thank goodness. Such a relief! Though this probably should be that private message to you...
I think people like us having way too much compassion for our own good. I spend 80% of my time caring about what's going on with other people and, although I don't think I make my wellbeing a lower priority, it can be exhausting when you're going around trying to help our species become as beautiful as the nature provided for us only to have it thrown back in your face! I think that's the base of your frustration (and mine too!) As well as thinking "How did I ever eat that stuff?" and having even a subconscious guilt lingering from our past selves. Do you think your husband will transition? My friends were talking the other day and they were talking about someone we knew briefly, saying "He looks quite manly, I don't think he's a meateater!" This annoyed me more than I thought it would and I snapped back. They obviously didn't think about what they were saying - suggesting that vegan men are weak and emasculate. My friend then said she finds it manly when a man digs into a steak. I replied "Yeah, a man is manly when he tucks into death. The most manly men I know are those who could tear into animals if they wanted but choose to share compassion and empathy with them and the rest of the world." And they all looked quite embarrassed. When will people realise they are sinking their teeth into death. That's all I see now when I see meat and dairy. Milk, pus. Meat, death. Cheese, rot. Aren't you frustrated that we couldn't realise this sooner - that even the people will love don't want to change still after they've seen how compassionate we've been and how much we're glowing from our fruits and vegetables. They really don't know what they're missing out on. I've lost loads of weight, I now never get spots, and when my alarm rings in the morning I'm EXCITED to get out of bed. Do you have that too? If you don't yet, you will When people ask me my boyfriend why he's vegan, he sheds a lot of facts and figures, as well as some protein debate. When people ask me, I say "If everyone loved a bit more and unconditionally, this world would be a hell of a nice place to live in." And that's when people don't know what to say, because THAT makes veganism make sense. I'm hoping one day I can say this to someone and they will see the light. Me and you, we're GREAT people. All of us vegans here deserve such better respect.
#7 Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 AM

Unfortunately, hubby has said he doesn't see himself making the change he eats my vegan food though but will have meat for maybe 1/3 of his weekly meals where they were all meat before. homecooked meat meals are kinda veganised in that the other ingredients will be vegan where they previously were not; example, if recipe calls for sour cream, it will be vegan sour cream or for oyster sauce, mushroom sauce used instead. He's also not argued against my changing our household stuff like bath, laundry, cleaning supplies to vegan brands even though some are more expensive than non-vegan. So while it's not the complete deal with him (which does make me sad), I'll take what I can get and hope I get more as time goes. today he surprised me by saying he wants us to go on a long drive tomorrow and get a vegan meal somewhere. He is a good guy, I swear he is, he'll come around sometime...

The getting out of bed excited - yes! So I'm not imagining it then? I've always had a love affair with sleeping, even now I go to work with wet hair and no make up everyday because not willing to swap sleep time with fixing me up since being veg, still wet hair no make up but no dragging myself from bed like before! When the alarm goes, no more snoozing, I get up and immediately feel awake/alive! Hah, great to know the feeling is all real

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#8 Old 10-24-2014, 11:45 AM

I get the same way with the documentaries. I only need to see them once and even then! Sometimes being vegan feels like more of a curse. But that's how I know it's right. Nothing worth doing in life is easy. It feel lonely at times also even though I know I'm not alone in this journey.

I read a good quote recently that I think applies here.

"Fall in love with the process and the results will come."

The process of being vegan certainly has it's ups and downs. I believe we are and will continue to make a difference.

Keep your vegan heads up!

Last edited by Vanilla Gorilla; 10-24-2014 at 11:50 AM.
#9 Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg-Jill View Post
Unfortunately, hubby has said he doesn't see himself making the change he eats my vegan food though but will have meat for maybe 1/3 of his weekly meals where they were all meat before. homecooked meat meals are kinda veganised in that the other ingredients will be vegan where they previously were not; example, if recipe calls for sour cream, it will be vegan sour cream or for oyster sauce, mushroom sauce used instead. He's also not argued against my changing our household stuff like bath, laundry, cleaning supplies to vegan brands even though some are more expensive than non-vegan. So while it's not the complete deal with him (which does make me sad), I'll take what I can get and hope I get more as time goes. today he surprised me by saying he wants us to go on a long drive tomorrow and get a vegan meal somewhere. He is a good guy, I swear he is, he'll come around sometime...

The getting out of bed excited - yes! So I'm not imagining it then? I've always had a love affair with sleeping, even now I go to work with wet hair and no make up everyday because not willing to swap sleep time with fixing me up since being veg, still wet hair no make up but no dragging myself from bed like before! When the alarm goes, no more snoozing, I get up and immediately feel awake/alive! Hah, great to know the feeling is all real

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's so great! Good for you and him I've always found that veganism is spread quickest through love... I think when a vegan has a non-vegan partner, the love they have for each other really brings out the compassion element and helps guide non-vegans to a better lifestyle

Haha, yes it's a real feeling!! I went to the vegan festival in Wolverhampton, England today, bringing along with me by "nearly" vegan boyfriend and two meat eater friends. We had to wake up at 6 in the morning after a 4 hour sleep (played too many board games) and whilst everyone was sleeping and moaning on the train there I was back-straight, eyes wide-open, sipping on my fruit smoothie! They were dead when we got there - I was overflowing with energy... Because I care about what goes into my body.
#10 Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I don't think a vegan should watch a movie like this. EVER. if you are vegan and watch them, to me its like being a professional athlete and then watching high school sports for tips and pointers. The movies are for shock value and awareness, and if you are aware, then shocking you only does that. Its not going to push you to veganism, since you are already here. IMO watching them, and the TV in general only serves to sky rocket cortisol and sadness. Like the news...who the HELL watches that crap? and why?
#11 Old 10-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Why watch it? I mean what gain do you personally get from it?

Awareness?

Knowledge?
#12 Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganic One View Post
Why watch it? I mean what gain do you personally get from it?

Awareness?

Knowledge?
Information.
Unfortunately (or not), I was converted to veganism through the shock-and-awe tactics of similar films. I forced myself to watch every few days in my first months being vegan because a literally overnight transition from meat eating to vegan was quite challenging for me and the videos were the most effective way to keep me on the path.
Not yet a year vegan, these videos are a source of info (and confirmation) for me. I find they mention more resources, such as UN reported this, WWF this, etc which I can look up after, in one film than any single thing I've read so far (granted, time has not let me read any good veg book yet).
I also read articles, including anti-veg ones, and I always go through the comments section, which are also upsetting, because many veg*ns' replies are so informative (not just emotive). The exchanges are great simulations of real world reactions and questions I will/have encounter/ed.
I'm also on the lookout for materials, videos that don't overdo the shock-and-awe which I share with family/friends.

Btw, I didn't find Cowspiracy to have used shock-and-awe much, maybe because its about the environment rather than animals. I've actually put it on the list for family to watch.

Tags
videos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page