Do you have any vegan friends? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

#1 Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Do you have any vegan friends?

I'm been vegetarian for over 11 years now and vegan since last July. Two of my closest friends were vegetarian for about as long as I but recently they both started eating fish - and I went in the opposite direction. My parents are both vegetarian though.

It just dawned on me last night that I don't know a single other vegan (outside VB). I was telling my wife this and she responds, "I know one". Of course, I asked who - a real doh moment.

Anyway, am I alone in this? Are most of you replete with vegan friends or are you the sole alien in a strange land?
Kiwibird08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM

I was a lone alien for 3 years but my older sister went vegan nearly a year ago now. ^w^ Also in August I met a girl at a music festival who was a new vegan and I think we could be good friends. Would love to know more though so we can all eat out at yummy places together.. :3

We are all 269
Animal, Earth and Human Liberation!
#3 Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM
No flesh since 99'

My moms about as close as it comes, but she's not a vegetarian. She hasn't eaten red meat or pork in over 20 years, but still eats poultry and fish. The rest of my family (my dads side especially) and friends think I'm insane. My husband is supportive and eats a lot of veg. and vegan foods, but he still eats meat too (just not often and isn't morally against it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Excluding all the fabulous members of vb I'm proud to call friends, I have several "real life" friends who are vegan, we met in college or post grad.

My significant other is also vegan.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

A few! But I think I met them all through vegetarian/pro-animal groups. I have met a number of people in other circles (work, other social groups, cousins) who are vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
It just dawned on me last night that I don't know a single other vegan (outside VB). I was telling my wife this and she responds, "I know one". Of course, I asked who - a real doh moment.
I think lots of people would have asked before thinking "Wait... she means ME..."

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 10-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.
#6 Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister went vegan two years after me and is still going strong. I keep in touch with a few vegan activists that travel that I have worked with a few times, and met some people last year at a vegetarian event in another city. I have a vegetarian neighbor. Otherwise I don't know any other vegans. I am glad to have my sister to share with though, and VB of course! It doesn't bother me that I have gone it alone for so long. But it bothers me that the whole world is not vegan yet!
Purp, seedgirl and WolfBird like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 10-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Beginner

A couple (I think two) vegans. More vegetarians.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 10-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

My husband and adult son.
Purp and WolfBird like this.
#9 Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Just me, plus my niece two half siblings...Which is part why I went vegan. I know r vegetarians (my niece, and I met someone here on VB (Aliakia) and 1 pescatarian, and all the rest are all omnivores. :sad:
River likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Impeach the gangster

No, no vegan friends away from the internet.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#11 Old 10-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sadly no I don't... One of my sisters is vegetarian which is nice. But she is still big into dairy and stuff so its kind of frustrating sometimes too. I live 30mins from Vancouver which has a big vegan community I have come to find out. So I am sure I could find vegan buddies if I tried. But I am weird socially and don't like leaving my house. I don't have many friends as it is. My family and boyfriend are all very supportive which is great but I wish I was surrounded by vegan peeps. This board has been amazing for me though over this past 10 months. When I'm feeling particularly lonely in my vegan'ness* I just come on here and see how many amazing vegans and veggies there actually are out there !!!
Naturebound and WolfBird like this.
#12 Old 10-14-2014, 08:38 PM

I don't know any vegans, but I have two friends that are vegetarian. My dad and sister are still omni, but eat a lot more vegan meals now.
#13 Old 10-15-2014, 05:36 AM

in my buddhist class, several people - two I would consider to be friends (vegetarian). other than that, nobody.

no vegans - le sigh.
#14 Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

My wife, daughter & son in law are vegetarians, (almost vegans).

The lady next door used to be a vegan years ago, but no longer.
LedBoots likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#15 Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in being alone!
#16 Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Beginner

None.
#17 Old 10-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Beginner

I've found that, the more vegetarians I've come to know in university, the more I feel alone because none of them care that much about animals. One might hate the texture of meat, the other wanting to lower their carbon footprint. I started a healthy eating campaign to get students away from meat and dairy and into the market fruit and veggies and my vegetarian friends just didn't have enough empathy to want to be involved. All my volunteers are meateaters! Sometimes it's better not having any veggie friends.
#18 Old 10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Banned

I don't have any friends, but I do have business partners, and they all think I'm crazy to eat a fruit & veggie diet. They live on pizza and burgers. Two of them are fat and one is thin but has gout, heart problems and chronic colds.
#19 Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 PM

You are not alone at all. I have one vegetarian friend. The only vegan friend I have now lives in another state. It can be a lonely world ;P
#20 Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Nope, none.
which is why I'm starting to reach out to vegan groups here. I can be socially awkward so not really within comfort zone.
I've been to one vegan parents meet up so far - even though I'm not a parent - desperate for connection or what? hahaha

World Vegan Day in about 2 weeks and I'm definitely looking forward to going and hopefully meeting some awesome people!
#21 Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister and brother's SO are, but nobody outside of family connections.
#22 Old 10-26-2014, 02:15 AM

Well, my friend is supposedly vegan, but she really isn't; more vegetarian. I think she is trying to impress me because she randomly decided at my house but I have seen her eat twix bars, crunch, m&m's after I said I couldn't because it isn't vegan and she asked her parents if she could have cheesecake, so whatever... She still calls herself vegan anyhow.
#23 Old 10-26-2014, 07:54 PM
V for Vegan

I'm all alone as well. I try to set a good example though and I've had a few coworkers take a real interest in it. One woman I work with is very close to converting, so I may know another one soon LOL.
Capstan, River and LedBoots like this.
#24 Old 10-28-2014, 11:53 AM

I have known a lot of junk food vegans over the last decade or so (college town, scene kids) but I'm not close with anyone who is really passionate about veganism or their health. That would be nice.

My girlfriend is extremely supportive though and loves vegan food.
LedBoots likes this.
#25 Old 10-28-2014, 01:31 PM

I'm alone in my vegan-ness. However, my girlfriend and I are renewing our efforts at healthy living, and since she's taking the lead on exercise (because of her physical limitations), I'm taking the lead on nutrition. Bwahahaha!
#26 Old 10-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Part-Time Russian

All alone here 'cept for VB
Capstan likes this.

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
#27 Old 11-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Alone...so desperately alone...

lol

I don't know a single other vegan. I have a few other vegans, but they are not friends. (We don't hang out, etc).

I really need to just spend the time and money to find a vegan friend or two to hang out with.

If any of you are near my little slice of redneck hell (Southern Middle Tennessee) give a shout out.

Always be satisfied with what you have. Never be satisfied with what you are.
#28 Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Totally alone. Like a one man island. Wife, family, cat, all omnivores.
#29 Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 PM
No flesh since 99'

I actually thought of one

Kiwi the parrot! Just because he's small, green and covered in feathers doesn't make him any less a member of our family, and he's veg by nature
Capstan, River and seedgirl like this.
#30 Old 01-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Location: Plumstead, Greater London, United Kingdom and Bookham, Surrey, United Kingdom
It's easy to think you're 'the only vegan in the village', but the reality is often not the case...

When I helped start a Transition Initiative (http://transitionnetwork.org/nearby) in a sleepy village, a number of eco veggies and vegans surfaced.

I highly recommend using dedicated veg sites like Meetup (http://vegan.meetup.com/), Happy Cow (http://happycow.net/members/benefits.html), Volentia (I met my wife on there, so it's a personal favourite! http://volentia.com/profiles/members/), VegFriend (http://vegfriend.com/profiles/members/), etc. to connect with local vegans.

Oh, okay, you can search on Farcebook too (https://facebook.com/vegetariansrock), but please don't overlook the dedicated sites...
seedgirl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page