Boycott or Buy? Veganism as a Brand. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roseora
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 09-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Boycott or Buy? Veganism as a Brand.

I've cut and pasted this from my thread on Coconut Oil.

I wonder what other posters think of this, or if I'm just waffling?

My suspicion is that there's been in recent times, a big crossover, between the 'popular' vegan movement (by which I mean, pretty much exclusively diet and health focused) and the so-called 'clean eating' movement, which is also diet and health focused.

In fact I feel as though this whole popular pure natural diet and health type movement is almost co-opting veganism, and turning it into a kind of brand.

'Popular' veganism it seems to me, is fast becoming more about what (often quite expensive) products can be marketed to the buying public as 'natural' 'pure' and 'health promoting', than about what used to really mark it out, which was what subscribers to vegan philosophy boycott rather than buy.

Last edited by Spudulika; 09-28-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2014, 03:56 AM

To be honest I think we should still buy the stuff. Simply because even if people are vegan for the wrong reasons, at least thats one more person not contributing to the meat or dairy industries.

The only thing that annoys me is supply and demand, that vegan food is so expensive anyway it will only get more so if popular vegans are willing to pay so much for it.
Although I have been questioned several times since I went properly vegan the other day about wether it was for health reasons or moral.
#3 Old 09-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

I don't follow your connections. Diet is a part of being vegan but all it says it doesn't contain things obtained from animals.
There is nothing about being vegan to imply the food choices other than animals weren't used. A bag of potato chips is as vegan as a bunch of organically grown kale.
Anything business sees as a growing trend is going to get labeled and marketed towards what people prove they'll buy. It's just a fact that if the big industries like White Wave, Kellogs, Nestle feel there's money to be made by leaving out the animals in foods they'll switch in a heartbeat and produce for profits. They may not be ethical companies, but there products would be ethical enough for many vegans, and make it popular, obtainable and easy enough for the whole family to stay vegan.
I have known a couple people to start on plant based eating out of health catch on to why it's an ethical choice and turn vegan. I have little argument with companies profiting on marketing less than healthy products and would rather the governments (USA) quit subsidizing farmers for meats and dairy. That's the biggest problem IMO>

Are you distinquishing between vegan eating clean and omnis eating clean? I don't understand your point.
Being vegan has certainly been cheaper for me, eating mostly whole plant foods, but still a good amount of packaged things.
Please respect the fact that vegan eating is just as diverse as diets that include animals.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
No flesh since 99'

I think corporations have latched onto a growing segment of the market they were previously loosing business from and are now selling them the same crap, less the meat & cheese (and charging and arm and leg for it!). They are also marketing it in such a way that if you don't buy these pre made "health" products, you'll be unhealthy. One does not need over priced "health foods" like tv dinners, frozen pizzas and soy meat to be a healthy vegan or vegetarian or even a healthy omni. Just because an animal was not harmed making it or it is all organic/natural does not necessarily make it a healthy or good choice to eat either. Not to mention many ill informed people assume the only way to go vegan or veg or improve health is to buy these products, and with their prices being so high, it leaves a good amount of people who may be interested in boycotting the meat industry or eating healthier feeling financially unable. No one (on a mass scale) promotes cooking at home or learning how to create these supposedly "expensive" foods in your own kitchen for next to nothing. Buy this BRAND of soy meat, that BRAND of organic convenience dinners (oh, and those will cost $5 each, so expect to spend $20-$30 a meal for a family of 4 after you factor in your natural cane sugar sodas and gluten free brownies). Who can afford that, and is it really a truly healthy diet?

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 09-28-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page