Medicine and animal testing - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 AM

Medicine and animal testing

Ive recently decided to become vegan (its not as hard as I expected.) but I also havent been feeling well the last few days and have been using a lot of paracetamol.

I am well aware that most medicines have been tested on animals, and when its not life threatening or serious, I cant decide wether I feel comfortable taking them or not.

What are your opinions on medicines and animal testing?

Im also not very educated on animal testing yet, and am finding it difficult to find information online if theres anything major I should know. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM

Hey Roseora,

When I first became a Vegan I tried to read everything and anything I could get my hands on. From what I have read I can tell that is all about perspective, at least when it comes to medicine. In one book that I read the author stated that the only way medicine is approved is by undergoing animal testing, thank you FDA. They went on to say that by no means should you put your health and safety at risk just because of this. Now, as Vegans we want to do what we can to help the needy, so, instead of not taking the medicine that your body needs, find other ways to prevent these practices from happening in the future. If you sign up for the Peta newsletter they will send you petitions to sign, and I am sure there is one for this issue. ALSO, some great news: engineers are working on making fake body parts that can be used in replacement of these animals. I had found the article on Peta.com if you're interest in reading it. Not sure what it is called, I am sure if you search some keywords into google you will find it.

Use your own judgement when it comes to your health. If you think you can let the sickness ride out by its self, then maybe you should. Always talk to a doctor is you are not sure. From what my doctors have told me, it is always good to take the natural way out. It is better for your immune system.
#3 Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Yes, in the UK too, anything sold as a medicine must be tested on animals, by law. So it's not like food, where your spending choices affect how much of the practices in question go on. Attempting to boycott drugs for animal testing is useless, as companies will keep testing on animals just as much as now, all the time the law demands it. What we need to do before working on the companies themselves, is to change that law.

Also remember, the fundamentals of our medical knowledge about both humans and animals, come mostly from involuntary tests on both. A lot of what we take for granted was originally discovered by doctors several centuries ago, who paid people to "find" dead bodies for them, some of which were obtained by murder. Then there are all the experiments done in WWII on Jews, Soviet POWs and gay men. A lot of knowledge was obtained from that. Should we pretend we don't know it, or refuse to use drugs that were tested on involuntary subjects, human or non-human, more than several decades ago? Boycotting products that were tested on animals recently, and *not* in order to comply with a law, could have an effect, but medicine, at the moment, I doubt it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page