VeggieBoards banner

Vegan Companies vs. Companies who sell vegan products

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  no whey jose 
#1 ·
Apparently So Delicious, the brand that sells the most delicious coconut ice cream, has recently been bought by WhiteWave Foods, who sells 'premium' dairy products (http://www.whitewave.com/what).

Here is So Delicious' blog post about the news: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/blog/91714/

I'm posting this because of a something I read on a Facebook page I follow. Somebody made the point that it would be wrong to give your money to a company owned by another company (however that works, I'm not an expert) that promotes dairy consumption.

I'm torn. I mean, there is supply and demand, so if more people demand plant based dairy alternatives with their money, then they will produce more. However, it does bother me that my money could possibly be going to funding the dairy industry.

What do you all think?

I think for the time being I'm going to look into making my own plant based milks.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, they won't get my money because I don't eat ice cream nor drink their milks, but personally, this is one of the things where I draw the line at. When you eat out, do you eat at restaurants that serve meat and dairy? If yes, your money is probably going towards helping the restaurant buying the meat and dairy. Same when you buy food at a grocery store. The demand for plant milks is a lot lower than the demand for dairy, so sometimes totally vegan companies end up not having much revenue and are bought by bigger companies. Sucks, but I'd rather that than not having the option of having those plant milks.
But if it really bothers you that much, sure, go ahead and make your own milk.

#5 ·
I always think the stance of "They are affiliated with or also produce non-vegan food products, therefore I will not eat them," defeats part of the purpose of being vegan. If you continue to buy the vegan foods offered by non-vegan conglomerates, then you are proving with each purchase that there is a market for vegan products. The more profitable vegan products become the more variety and mainstream, thus the easier it will be for future vegans to transition and the less likely we are to look like food aliens.

So please, keep buying SoDelicious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.