What's the veg alternative to Salmon? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly

#1 Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM

What's the veg alternative to Salmon?

Any alternatives?

Why do vegetarians not eating salmon -- what are the ethical and environmental reasons for it? I don't think there are health reasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2014, 10:50 AM

I think there are environmental and animal reasons but also health reasons. the way the oceans are going today everything that lives in it is affected. Granted tuna is a much bigger concern, but my health is better by just eating plants and veg. It is really a personal choice I think.

For an alternative, well I don't really have one. I think a lot of vegans have a different kind of plate when it comes to meals. I rarely have a main thing on the plate, but lots of small things. So I might have curried chickpeas and rice and some beets and a bit of salad. See what I mean, nothing is taking centre stage.
#3 Old 09-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitefriend9 View Post
Any alternatives?

Why do vegetarians not eating salmon
True vegetarians eat plants, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. No meat of any kind....which would mean no salmon.

Quote:
what are the ethical and environmental reasons for it?
For me, it's respecting another living being & allowing it to live a natural and free life. Not one where they are scooped up in nets, with such force that their eyes bulge out. Then, they are cleaned and skinned while still alive. I want no part in that.

Also, the large fishing boats are decimating the seas. A lot of the fish caught are ground up for animal feed for beef cattle. How twisted is that? I want no part in destroying the oceans for the sensation of my taste buds, when I could eat an apple.

Quote:
I don't think there are health reasons?
There are no health concerns, unless you are worried about the salmon swimming in polluted waters. The chemicals and toxins like mercury that are in the fish are not good for human consumption. Farm raised fish aren't any better. They swim in pools of their own feces and are fed massive amounts of antibiotics to fight any diseases or infections that might be present. Plus, the fat content in salmon is high, and they have increased levels of cholesterol. Other than that, it might be OK.

If you are looking to salmon for the "health benefits", try eating seaweed; like kelp, dulse, nori, spirulina, wakame,etc. This puts the best ingredients into your diet, while eliminating the fat & cholesterol of the fish. Plus it saves a fish!!
Werewolf Girl, LedBoots and Nooch like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Beginner

What sort of alternative are you looking for? I haven't seen a veg 'fake salmon' product out there, but for example I used to order salmon sushi and now I get other types of sushi (ume, shiso, cucumber, avocado, cucumber-avocado with red quinoa in brown rice... thanks to whole foods I'm addicted to that one, tempura sweet potato, and a handful of veg 'specialty rolls' with combinations of 4-6 veggies in each).

Health reasons are the higher levels of chemicals like organochlorides and PCBs. Environmental are all the same reasons farmed fish in general are bad for the environment- wild-caught usually involve problematic by-catch. Others can probably go into details better than I can.

Ethically... same reason as all other animals we don't eat. So you're not causing the death of other living beings needlessly.
#5 Old 09-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Vegetarians don't include any fish in their diet as well as animal. If you think of it this way: Anything that can run from danger is
off the plate - even mollusks can get away from predators, so shellfish are out too.

For a replacement of salmon you can use:
grated carrot,
chopped tomatoes,
soy “meat”,
lemon peel and juice,
white vinegar,
fresh dill,
salt and oil.
mix it and press it together

I also found a thread on here....scroll down a bit and you'll find some links:
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21...ed-salmon.html

Being a healthy vegan is definitely the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#6 Old 09-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I found this vegan smoked salmon at Whole Foods the other day, I didn't buy it yet but I'm curious to try it:

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 09-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Any alternatives?
In what way do you mean alternatives?

Nutritionally, there are plenty of alternatives.

Quote:
Why do vegetarians not eating salmon -- what are the ethical and environmental reasons for it? I don't think there are health reasons?
I can really only answer for my own reasons and that's that fish like to live. They don't want to die, they fear, they have communities, they have sentience. So I don't eat them. But other ethical concerns, such as the effects of bycatch are pretty strong too.

Environmentally, I would point to the depletion of ocean populations due to overfishing.

Health reasons, never have come into it for me. But I've seen how horribly polluted the oceans are.... I don't want that stuff in my body, if I can help it.
Vegan Dave likes this.
#8 Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Warning: sad farmed salmon footage. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mVRjCOWr50o
#9 Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been looking for 'pink' beans here in the UK, but so far without success. I may have to go for red beans instead. I think pink or red beans for colour, oats for texture, tofu for more texture, seaweed flakes for flavour and maybe some tartar sauce ingredients like chopped capers and gherkins, could make a good pretend salmon-like blend. I'd wrap it in pastry like this for fun (it's a vegetarian 'fish pie'):

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page