• 1 Post By kallyho
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 3 Post By LedBoots
  • 2 Post By anole
  • 2 Post By sillybunnns

#1 Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Question Need Advice, Please

Our church does a LobsterFest every year, and I don't want to go, except to meet up with old friends of mine. I'm afraid if I don't go, I'll miss my friends, and if I do go, I won't eat anything (nothing vegan at all--not even the salad) they'll wonder what is wrong with me. Should I eat a "late lunch" and still be full? Should I not go and miss my friends? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd go, taking my own food and telling others the reason why if they ask about it.

Lv
#3 Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM

^^^^ What he says.
Purp likes this.

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Ghandi.

Unique photographic greeting cards and prints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there another time you could see your friends?

Ordinarily I'd say eat a late lunch and make sure you are not hungry, and then go and not eat (I do this all the time for event and it's generally not a problem). However, if they are preparing the lobster the "traditional" way, then I would not go at all - I find that extremely upsetting and also, I do not understand why a lot of people who are ordinarily nice people think it's ok to make fun of you if you have a problem watching the process.
Purp, leedsveg and sillybunnns like this.
#5 Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Wink Agree with the others

go, bring your lunch, say you are on a specialized medical diet and enjoy yourself. Tons of people have special diets today. Nothing special. Don't make a big deal out of it and maybe no one will really care. (well except you)
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with bringing your own food, there's no good reason you shouldn't be able to eat when you want to. You can tell people whatever you feel most comfortable with and like kallyho said don't make a big deal out of it and people most likely will barely notice. Other people are usually too wrapped up in their own drama to care much what you're doing in my experience.
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Just keep saying "That leaves more lobster for you" until they get tired of hearing it.
Purp, Vegan Dave and Rocket like this.
#8 Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Beginner

I'd go see your friends!

I'd probably contact the organizers and tell them that you're vegan and ask if they could at least keep the salad and one side dish veg. If they disagree- it's not like you've made a big public scene. If they agree- you get food,
plus there's a possibility of not quite so many animal products being bought.
If they disagree I'd bring your own food. If you're eating with friends they ideally shouldn't be jerks about it.
Purp and Vegan Dave like this.
#9 Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, everyone.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 09-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Beginner

I agree with Rocket, I wouldn't attend if they were slaying the lobsters right in front of you.
This is why I am a recluse, though, I don't attend social events because of the smell of dead animals.
For laughs, go to the event and tell everyone that lobster has been recalled or something and that it's too risky eating from the sea since the Fukushima nuclear waste spill
Purp and brian313313 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page