VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   Need Advice, Please (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/157209-need-advice-please.html)

Purp 09-05-2014 12:37 PM

Need Advice, Please

Our church does a LobsterFest every year, and I don't want to go, except to meet up with old friends of mine. I'm afraid if I don't go, I'll miss my friends, and if I do go, I won't eat anything (nothing vegan at all--not even the salad) they'll wonder what is wrong with me. Should I eat a "late lunch" and still be full? Should I not go and miss my friends? Please help. Thanks in advance.

leedsveg 09-05-2014 12:42 PM

I'd go, taking my own food and telling others the reason why if they ask about it.

Lv

Panthertracks 09-05-2014 01:43 PM

^^^^ What he says.

Rocket 09-05-2014 01:47 PM

Is there another time you could see your friends?

Ordinarily I'd say eat a late lunch and make sure you are not hungry, and then go and not eat (I do this all the time for event and it's generally not a problem). However, if they are preparing the lobster the "traditional" way, then I would not go at all - I find that extremely upsetting and also, I do not understand why a lot of people who are ordinarily nice people think it's ok to make fun of you if you have a problem watching the process.

kallyho 09-05-2014 02:10 PM

Agree with the others

go, bring your lunch, say you are on a specialized medical diet and enjoy yourself. Tons of people have special diets today. Nothing special. Don't make a big deal out of it and maybe no one will really care. (well except you)

Werewolf Girl 09-05-2014 04:25 PM

I agree with bringing your own food, there's no good reason you shouldn't be able to eat when you want to. You can tell people whatever you feel most comfortable with and like kallyho said don't make a big deal out of it and people most likely will barely notice. Other people are usually too wrapped up in their own drama to care much what you're doing in my experience. :lol:

LedBoots 09-05-2014 05:41 PM

Just keep saying "That leaves more lobster for you" until they get tired of hearing it.

anole 09-05-2014 09:44 PM

I'd go see your friends!

I'd probably contact the organizers and tell them that you're vegan and ask if they could at least keep the salad and one side dish veg. If they disagree- it's not like you've made a big public scene. If they agree- you get food,
plus there's a possibility of not quite so many animal products being bought.
If they disagree I'd bring your own food. If you're eating with friends they ideally shouldn't be jerks about it.

Purp 09-05-2014 10:17 PM

Thanks, everyone. :)

sillybunnns 09-15-2014 07:25 AM

I agree with Rocket, I wouldn't attend if they were slaying the lobsters right in front of you.
This is why I am a recluse, though, I don't attend social events because of the smell of dead animals.
For laughs, go to the event and tell everyone that lobster has been recalled or something and that it's too risky eating from the sea since the Fukushima nuclear waste spill