Calling all FEMALES....need help. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Exclamation Calling all FEMALES....need help.

So I'm having issues with my period and soy. I've been vegan for a little over a year....and was wondering if anyone else faced something similar...

I'm in my early 30s and worried about this. I'm not married and don't have kids yet. These are things I want and would like to ask those that have been vegan for years what they experienced with soy milk and products in relation to their bodies.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2014, 09:39 PM

I started missing my periods when I became extremely overweight. My gynecologist said my weight had nothing to do with my missed periods, but I don't believe that. I started my periods again after mostly cutting soy from my diet, but I had made other dietary changes as well. I can't definitively say it was the elimination of soy from my diet that made me regular again. Now that I'm back to a healthy weight, I haven't had any missed periods.

I had been drinking a lot of soy milk and loved it. But then I started seeing more and more articles on the dangers of soy so I quit. I think it's probably harmless or even healthy in small doses as long as it's non-GMO and whole or fermented. The thing is, people way overdo it. Anything healthy can become harmful in large doses. I stay away from soy just to be safe, but I don't worry if there's whole organic soybeans in an occasional meal.
#3 Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

My periods do not change if I eat soy or not. Mostly, I drink a cup of soy milk for breakfast in my smoothie or oatmeal and some days of the week I eat tempeh, edamame or tofu for dinner. Not everyday though. Soy is not bad for you. Soy does not work as estrogen in the body. Well, if you eat A LOT of soy, I think it has been shown to alter the production of sex hormones. How much do you consume? Recently, my period went away and got really screwed up. This correlated with me working 300 hours in July, stressing a lot before that and not sleeping very well ... there are so many things that can change your body's rhythm.

Here's one good video from Dr Greger: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-...y-is-too-much/ (however this video does not refer to sex hormone production)

I recommend getting a copy of "Vegan for Her". It's a great book for us women. The writer talks about soy in it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Beginner

What "issues" are you actually having that you think are linked to soy?

I have to avoid eating multiple servings of soy per day for days in a row because I have very severe PCOS and my hormones are very prone to fluctuation. If you don't have a serious issue as long as a good chunk of your diet isn't soy-based you shouldn't be getting severe side-effects, according to my ob/gyn... bear in mind that in addition to soy things like BPA and other plastics release estrogen-mimicers into food if you use them (especially in dishwashers, microwaves, etc). However, that would also have to be in pretty high quantities to impact your period so much.

You may just not have super regular hormones, or something else (weight, thyroid...) may be impacting them.
#5 Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Beginner

Here is an article about what they have found about how diet and lifestyle affect all female problems that are associated with menstruation. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artic...h-menstruation

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 09-03-2014, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been strict veg (no dairy) since 1998. In 2003, I went off the Pill, and within a few months was missing periods - and then having 2-month long periods. I was diagnosed with PCOS, a very odd case of PCOS - I had the cysts very clearly, and my periods were messed up but otherwise no symptoms at all, and no family history (and completely normal weight). I ended up addressing the "weird PCOS" with acupuncture and later naturopathic medicine, and never once was it recommended that soy might be a problem. I was not eating much soy at all when I got the diagnosis. My MD said I likely would have developed the problem much earlier if I had not been on the Pill (I take that with a grain of salt, she may or may not have been right).

About a year ago, I had a relapse of the period problem which I again treated with a short stint of acupuncture, and this year I've had a lot of trouble with pain in my fibrocystic breasts, plus shorter cycles. Although I do consume more soy now (tofu and soymilk), again neither I nor my doctors have drawn any connection there. For me, stress is the key: my body reacts very badly to severe stress. I've had everything from this supposed PCOS to breast lumps (benign but painful) to Pelvic Floor Disorder, and yet there is nothing in my physiology that should lend itself to any of these illnesses - and they are always atypical cases of the condition. Try as I might, I simply can't stay on top of the stress, and it makes me sick.

If you have not already, I highly recommend you see a licensed acupuncturist or OMD. Chinese medicine has a long, successful history of addressing female problems, including period problems, and without resorting to yanking out the plumbing.
#7 Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Beginner

I consume soy (non-GMO) daily with no problems. My moods are stable and my cycles are regular.

I could see someone having problems if there is an underlying illness (that is particularly sensitive to certain foods) or maybe even an allergy, but that is true of any food.

Are you having problems or are you just worried for some other reaons?
#8 Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM

I am intolerant to soy in all its forms except tofu. I've noticed that after I eat tofu, if my period is close to being due it comes. It seems to bring my period on. Odd but maybe because it is a phytoestrogen?
#9 Old 09-09-2014, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I consume a fair amount of soy products (mostly unsweetened soy milk) and have had no side effects from it. Well my skin is better - but that may be more about giving up cows milk than drinking soy milk. I do try to include nut milks as well so that I'm not only drinking soy.

My period is more likely to become erratic if I am very stressed.

Hope you find a solution.
#10 Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM

I found this to be a relatively objective view of soy despite the title "Dark Side of Soy". It mentions the various methods soy is modified and the various ways we as a society may unknowingly consume it. It also addresses the "Is organic, non-gmo soy better?" question and mentions how the phytochemicals in soy can affect us.
http://www.utne.com/science-and-tech...#axzz3CqmlVDOF

How did you find out soy was the culprit? What kind of issues are you having? Have you considered any other factors?

On a personal note, I believe we tend to fall into food cycles, where we may eat the same type of meal for several months and then move on. I know that I have been in those cycles before and I am in one now... with soy. I consume way more soy than when I was omnivorous, but overall feel waaay better. This is most likely do to my vegan lifestyle and not in any direct correlation to the amount of soy in my diet. I have not noticed a change in my monthly cycles considering soy is apart of at least one or two meals a day, either as soy milk with breakfast or tofu for dinner.

Thanks for sharing! I hope the link helps!

Meagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 09-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Beginner

I have no issues with soy. My periods are regular. I have been vegan for 9 years.
Actually my periods have been better in the last year since adopting a more low fat vegan diet. For example, I don't cramp anymore and my period went from 7 days to 3-4 days in the last year.

-Cassie K, Vegans Living Off the Land
#12 Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never had any problems related to soy and I eat small amounts of it in one form or other almost daily. I think it may be why I'm having such an easy menopause. I have read that soy can lessen the severity of hot flashes. I have also never had any female problems. I had a friend who had severe PMS and irregular periods, so she took the pill to help lessen her discomfort and be more regular.

Have you seen a doctor to rule out any non-dietary causes for your issue?
#13 Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy is not the only phytoestrogen but has the greatest concentration of isoflavins (a type of phytoestrogen). Flaxseeds have a higher phytoestrogen content than soy but of a different kind, not isoflavins. at any rate I found this article about it for those interested:
http://www.newmoonnaturalfoods.com/n...lavonesinfoods

I had a full hysterectomy and lost both ovaries when I was 33 years old (nine years ago) so I don't get periods obviously. I can consume soy in moderation (tofu or tempeh a few times a week or maybe in Ezekiel bread or a rare cliff bar), but if I start drinking soy milk daily it does drive up my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and decrease my thyroid hormone levels. It can interfere with absorption of my thyroid meds, but so can calcium fortified products and other foods. I just have to be careful about how often I use them and how close to when I take my thyroid meds. For me, soy has too many benefits to cut it out altogether, though I have gone through long periods of time without it. When i went soy free for a while, it amazed me how much food has soy hidden in it, for instance herbal teas. Many herbal teas, especially lemon ones, have soy in them. Some vegan dark chocolate bars for baking and so on also have soy lecithin. Many many omnivore foods have soy in them such as crackers, cereals, breads, mayonnaise, and even meat that was fed soy. I am ok with consuming the organic non GMO soy from sprouted tofu or tempeh, but more weary of processed foods especially with soy in them. Regardless, other than the thyroid issue, it has not impacted me negatively in any other way.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#14 Old 09-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

My cramping pretty much left after I went vegan. I didn't attribute it to soy, but I did consume more tofu and soy milk than before.
Now I'm in menopause and have fresh soy milk every day- I have a soy milk maker. I also use the okara and love tempeh. I do avoid more processed soy. I have very few hot flashes and nothing else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page