People's opinion about Jainsm as the religion tailor-made for Vegetarians - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By jain
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 2 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 3 Post By leedsveg
  • 1 Post By Capstan
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
People's opinion about Jainsm as the religion tailor-made for Vegetarians

I think Jainism is the religion specifically created for Vegetarians.

1. It is the only religion which explicitly and absolutely forbids meat-eating and all cruelty to animals.

2. It sends all ( may be almost all ) Omnivores to Hell and sends none( may be almost all ) of the Veggies to Hell.

3. Precondition for being Jain is being Vegetarian. You don't have to face those annoying Omnis in the Church. You don't have to worry about the food in Religious Gatherings.

and last but not the least.

4. It admits animals to its fold as well.
Vegan Dave likes this.

Last edited by jain; 09-02-2014 at 03:31 AM.
jain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 208
Haha Omnivores go to hell, pretty cool.
Diesel is offline  
#3 Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 AM
 
spacegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 196
What if you eat meat for half of your life and then turn veggie?
spacegirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegirl View Post
What if you eat meat for half of your life and then turn veggie?
One spends half of eternity living in limbo with viruses, bacteria etc repenting?
spacegirl likes this.
leedsveg is offline  
#5 Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 AM
 
kallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 312
Isn't Jainism the religion (or one of them) that practices giving the human body back to the animals by placing them in an area where they get eaten by birds and such. Works for me.
kallyho is offline  
#6 Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Jainism is not a cruelty free religion. Though they go to extreme lengths to avoid DIRECTLY harming animals, they will let sick and injured animals suffer rather than euthanize.them, believing the animals to be living out their karma. I believe it was Ghandi who famously argued they should put down a suffering calf that they were trying to "make comfortable" by propping it up on some pillows while it was in agonizing pain.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#7 Old 09-02-2014, 09:02 AM
 
frrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
So is there a vegan religion that sends vegetarians to hell?

Also, the first few google image results for Jainism feature a swastika. I know it's an ancient symbol co-opted by the Nazis but yeesh.
frrt is offline  
#8 Old 09-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Oryzatarian
 
Auxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USDA z7a
Posts: 1,359
Its easy to respect them for their efforts to not harm animals, but jainism is not opposed to harm.
In jainism (since the beginning) karma has been perceived as a pseudo-physical substance that must be 'burned off' by suffering, so practitioners are expected to engage in self harm. When someone ordains they must rip out all their hair with their bare hands and never again wear shoes, even if walking through broken glass or a burning desert. It gets more graphic from there and can even include ritual castration. Its uncommon, but not especially rare, for practitioners to intentionally starve to death to 'burn off karma'.

As for saying jainism is the only one to forbid cruelty to animals, thats simply not true.
Auxin is offline  
#9 Old 09-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrt View Post
So is there a vegan religion that sends vegetarians to hell?

Also, the first few google image results for Jainism feature a swastika. I know it's an ancient symbol co-opted by the Nazis but yeesh.
So what?

Its not like they are nazis.
Rivfader and jain like this.
Diesel is offline  
#10 Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955
The whole idea of Hell is terribly narcissistic in my opinion.
A religion that believes omnivores go to hell won't convert many to vegan.
Naturebound likes this.
silva is offline  
#11 Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
Good for the Jains!!

Most Hindus & Buddhists respect all forms of life also. They let the Karma Police deal with you. Also, Seventh Day Adventists adhere to a vegetarian lifestyle & follow ahmisa principles, as well.

If more people would get a clue....compassion is out there for the taking.
Rivfader likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Last edited by Vegan Dave; 09-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#12 Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM
 
Rivfader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jain View Post
I think Jainism is the religion specifically created for Vegetarians.

1. It is the only religion which explicitly and absolutely forbids meat-eating and all cruelty to animals.

2. It sends all ( may be almost all ) Omnivores to Hell and sends none( may be almost all ) of the Veggies to Hell.

3. Precondition for being Jain is being Vegetarian. You don't have to face those annoying Omnis in the Church. You don't have to worry about the food in Religious Gatherings.
I don't think this is a really accurate description of Jainism. It wasn't created for vegetarians; vegetarianism is one of its central practices, but it much more complex. The cycle of reincarnation is dictated by karma, so a person can be born into the hellish realm or as a demon, but this is not the same as the Abrahamic concept of hell. It isn't eternal and one can be born into higher realms after a time. The soul's karma dictates the place, rank, body, etc of their birth; it it better to say that they send themselves there rather than they are sent.

Also, the Jain diet is more complex than just vegetarian. In India, most people consider eggs not to be vegetarian, so the term "vegetarian" usually refers more specifically to lacto-vegatrianism than lacto-ovo. Also, many Jains do not eat onions, garlic, root vegetables, leftovers, fermented foods, or honey.

It is important to consider that Jainism emphasizes self-control and nonviolence in thoughts, deeds, speech, and intent. If you are very interested in Jainism, it would be best to set aside bad feelings toward omnivores.
Rivfader is offline  
#13 Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegirl View Post
What if you eat meat for half of your life and then turn veggie?
No Hell even in that case. You get more points if you live in hardcore Ominvore country.
jain is offline  
#14 Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyho View Post
Isn't Jainism the religion (or one of them) that practices giving the human body back to the animals by placing them in an area where they get eaten by birds and such. Works for me.
No it's not. We burn the body to ashes after death.
jain is offline  
#15 Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
BTW , Jain Hell ( and Heaven ) is not eternal.
jain is offline  
#16 Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Its uncommon, but not especially rare, for practitioners to intentionally starve to death to 'burn off karma'.
That's totally wrong. No suicide is allowed. Only self-mercy-killing is allowed.
jain is offline  
#17 Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
Good for the Jains!!

Most Hindus & Buddhists respect all forms of life also. They let the Karma Police deal with you. Also, Seventh Day Adventists adhere to a vegetarian lifestyle & follow ahmisa principles, as well.

If more people would get a clue....compassion is out there for the taking.
Buddha was a meat eater and so was Vivekananda.
jain is offline  
#18 Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
The whole idea of Hell is terribly narcissistic in my opinion.
A religion that believes omnivores go to hell won't convert many to vegan.
Truth has to be told , regardless of price. That is the reason Jainism is the smallest of the major world religions.

Last edited by jain; 09-02-2014 at 08:25 PM.
jain is offline  
#19 Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Oryzatarian
 
Auxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USDA z7a
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jain View Post
Buddha was a meat eater and so was Vivekananda.
Its true, the buddhist monastic discipline instructs monks and nuns to eat what is offered, even if it contains meat (unless they suspect the meat was bought/killed for them). However in the entire pali cannon the buddha is only recorded eating meat once. Theres many suttas where hes recorded eating vegan or lacto-veggie.
I've heard theravada buddhist monks encouraging their followers to go vegetarian (they cant request certain foods, but thats a rather strong hint) and I've read that many entire mahayana lineages are vegetarian (a deviation from the rules, but it seems to work for them).

Kally, I think the religion your thinking of is vajreyana (tibetan) buddhism. They feed corpses to vultures.
At times in other schools corpses were left out in the forest or charnal grounds so monks could observe the decomposition.
Auxin is offline  
#20 Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 PM
 
spacegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jain View Post
No Hell even in that case. You get more points if you live in hardcore Ominvore country.
Well that veiw won't help to change meat eaters to vegetarian. no meat eater will raise their child as vegan or vegetarian. So there has to be a change somewhere in their life so the next generation might be brought up not eating meat. I want to support people to give up animal products.
spacegirl is offline  
#21 Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Beginner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 169
I think it's highly subjective. I've known different believers in that religion who had vastly different practices.

Other religions are highly subjective as well... some Christians I know are vegetarian because they believe it's required of them by the 'don't kill' commandment. Same with Mormons. Many aren't. It's all in the personal and immediate community's interpretation and dogma.


Also, the whole thing assumes you can chose what you believe is the 'ultimate truth' and aren't atheist, agnostic, or buying into existentialism...
anole is offline  
#22 Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM
 
kallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 312
Thank you Jain for correcting me about the bodies. Someone once told me that in Jainism people have a dying time. That is they can see it coming and allow themselves to die without a great deal of intervention if that seems right.

Is this true?
kallyho is offline  
#23 Old 09-04-2014, 11:39 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
I think it's highly subjective. I've known different believers in that religion who had vastly different practices.

Other religions are highly subjective as well... some Christians I know are vegetarian because they believe it's required of them by the 'don't kill' commandment. Same with Mormons. Many aren't. It's all in the personal and immediate community's interpretation and dogma.


Also, the whole thing assumes you can chose what you believe is the 'ultimate truth' and aren't atheist, agnostic, or buying into existentialism...
Well , you can measure subjectivity by objectifying it.

Take any major religion , find % of vegetarians in that religion = (number of vegetarians in that religion)*100/(total population of that religion). And then take the decision.
jain is offline  
#24 Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyho View Post
Thank you Jain for correcting me about the bodies. Someone once told me that in Jainism people have a dying time. That is they can see it coming and allow themselves to die without a great deal of intervention if that seems right.

Is this true?
This is highly technical subject. Nobody actually follows it , because for majority death comes as surprise. Best left untouched. Let us focus instead on the similarity of the worldview between vegetarianism/veganism and Jainism. Being vegetarian/vegan , you are implicitly discounting the doctrines of abrahamic religion , hindu religion , buddhist religion and atheism. And that by itself is a very big achievement.
jain is offline  
#25 Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
To be honest, even the "least worst" religion holds no appeal for me.


Lv
leedsveg is offline  
#26 Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrt View Post
So is there a vegan religion that sends vegetarians to hell?

Also, the first few google image results for Jainism feature a swastika. I know it's an ancient symbol co-opted by the Nazis but yeesh.
Kinda, they were called the Cathars and they didn't eat eggs or drink milk, as far as I know.

I quite like Taoism as a philosophy/religion as far as being a vegetarian/vegan goes. They mention not eating animals or their products.
Tiger Lilly is offline  
#27 Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
I try to follow the teachings of Oahspe, in which being vegetarian is a commandment. I rather like the idea that refraining from killing animals for food is one of our Creator's laws. It also equates carnivorousness with the practice of warfare- that to give up one is to give up the other.
River likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#28 Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I try to follow the teachings of Oahspe, in which being vegetarian is a commandment. I rather like the idea that refraining from killing animals for food is one of our Creator's laws. It also equates carnivorousness with the practice of warfare- that to give up one is to give up the other.
Interesting, I hadn't heard of Oahspe before, I just read the wiki and will look into the religion. I like what I saw, thanks Capstan.
LedBoots is offline  
#29 Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jain View Post
Buddha was a meat eater and so was Vivekananda.
That's why I said most Buddhists and Hindus.....

Not all Jains refrain from eating meat, just like some Mormons drink alcohol.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Vegan Dave is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off