Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Diesel
  • 2 Post By veg-head
  • 2 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 1 Post By bunnyfood

#1 Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Protein crazed America. It is almost like a cult.

I've noticed (probably you too) that people in america have a crazy protein addiction.

Every time I talk to somebody about nutrition or eating right,
They always mention protein first, as if it is the only thing you need in life to be healthy. Even if when they don't know I'm vegan.

If a friend and I go to the super market, and sees me looking at labels... They will also look at labels of random stuff and instantly say.. "WOW this has alot of protein!"

I've even heard somebody say "I'm going to change my diet to live healthier. I think I need more protein, do you know any good supplements?"

Why do you eat meat? "It has alot of protein"

"You need more protein in your diet."

"You are vegan? Where do you get your protein?"

"Growing children need alot of protein!"

"Wana lose weight? Eat protein!"

"Wana gain weight? Eat protein!"

Then I usually hear: Carbs are bad! or something equally crazy like that.

Last edited by Diesel; 08-31-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM

Well...it is important for a number of reasons, but not to the extent that some make it out to be.
And the need for protein is used as a marketing tool for companies who want to sell their products, and separate you from your hard earned cash.
#3 Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

You will get more than enough protein on a whole food, mostly raw diet.

Have you ever heard of anyone.....meat eater, veg*n, whatever.....that was admitted to the hospital for a protein deficiency?

Have you ever heard of a protein deficiency outbreak, like swine flu, mad cow disease, or e-bola?

Exactly....it's not a problem. Everybody gets enough protein. The big beef producers brainwash you into thinking that without meat, I.E. protein, you'll shrivel away & die. Meanwhile, all the folks gorging on prime rib have enough protein, plus heart disease, clogged arteries, elevated cholesterol, etc.

I eat plants, now leave me alone. Why are you worried about my dietary patterns?

A very convincing argument and documentation can be found here:

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  21.0 KB
River and portlandia like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-31-2014, 07:15 PM

Here is the thing - ask someone how they will know if they are getting enough protein. How many grams will their body need. I bet no one (except for folks here) will have any idea.

Or do we even have any idea.

I think this comes as a result of the second world war when all proteins were so limited and affected people. I imagine whole groups of people swore they would always make sure their families and grandfamilies could get enough protein.

Now, without looking it up, does anyone here know about how many grams of protein they should be aiming for each day. This is a quiz.
#5 Old 08-31-2014, 07:18 PM

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nut.../a/protein.htm

there are some amounts here. But just for fun, before you look, put down how many grams you think you might need a day.

Would it be 11,
57, 160, 450??? or something in between.
#6 Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I looked all this stuff up years ago when I first went vegan so I already know the recommended amounts and stuff. However I have found that I don't need as much as they say unless I am doing a lot of physical work. I can make do with around 40g a day and probably less even though apparently I should be getting about 60.

I felt what a lack of protein is like so if I ever start feeling like that I just make a lentil curry or something similar. The amounts I've seen on websites vary quite a bit as well, probably averaging at 1g/kg. TBH I doubt they really know, so I just listen to my body.
#7 Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyho View Post

there are some amounts here. But just for fun, before you look, put down how many grams you think you might need a day.

Would it be 11,

.65 grams per pound of body weight has always been a good baseline for me, although one of the calculators linked in the article you posted says I should be closer to 150 grams based on lean body mass and activity level.
#8 Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
You will get more than enough protein on a whole food, mostly raw diet.

Have you ever heard of anyone.....meat eater, veg*n, whatever.....that was admitted to the hospital for a protein deficiency?

Have you ever heard of a protein deficiency outbreak, like swine flu, mad cow disease, or e-bola?

Exactly....it's not a problem. Everybody gets enough protein. The big beef producers brainwash you into thinking that without meat, I.E. protein, you'll shrivel away & die. Meanwhile, all the folks gorging on prime rib have enough protein, plus heart disease, clogged arteries, elevated cholesterol, etc.

I eat plants, now leave me alone. Why are you worried about my dietary patterns?

A very convincing argument and documentation can be found here:

Attachment 4338

You are right there is no such thing as protein deficiency. But you must remember what makes protein, Amino Acids. It is possible and probable to be deficient in some amino acids, particularly on a plant based diet. This can have debilitating effects.

The FDA, USDA, etc... know that the average person doesn't need more than 10% of their daily calories from protein. Yet they can't say that because all the board members are tied to the animal industry in one way or another. They would be shooting themselves in the foot. You can't get a piece of meat that is less than 30% protein. So 30% is the daily recommended amount. Burocracy!

Spare a heart, eat a plant.
#9 Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Would it be 11,
I'm going to say around 57 for a 21 year old male.
#10 Old 09-01-2014, 01:30 AM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
I think this comes as a result of the second world war when all proteins were so limited and affected people.
That probably did bring protein into the consciousness of the general public but the protein mythology has its roots before world war 1 at the dawn of organic chemistry. When food chemistry was in its extreme infancy just what protein, starch, and fat were was unknown, chemical thermodynamics (and thus calories) was unknown, and vitamins were mysterious wraiths that may or may not exist. Food chemists of the day wanted a way to measure peoples nutrient intake, they could measure protein. 'Protein' became their surrogate for what we would conceive of more as calories. Too little protein (ie. too little food) and people were starving. And a myth was born.

Also, nowadays people use it as a buzz word to make it sound like they know what theyre talking about. Just like many people will proudly recite E = mc^2 despite the fact that they dont even know what F = ma means (its newtons second law of motion), much less have a working knowledge of the theory of relativity.
#11 Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
You are right there is no such thing as protein deficiency. But you must remember what makes protein, Amino Acids. It is possible and probable to be deficient in some amino acids, particularly on a plant based diet. This can have debilitating effects.

The FDA, USDA, etc... know that the average person doesn't need more than 10% of their daily calories from protein. Yet they can't say that because all the board members are tied to the animal industry in one way or another. They would be shooting themselves in the foot. You can't get a piece of meat that is less than 30% protein. So 30% is the daily recommended amount. Burocracy!
VG -

You are correct, Sir.

Amino acids are the key. And a plant based, whole foods diet is awash in amino acids, if you eat a balanced diet.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#12 Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM

For my body weight (female approx. 120lbs) I need about 50g. I used to be concerned about getting a lot of protein before I discovered the plant-based diet and nutrition information, which is why I know.
Vegan Dave likes this.
#13 Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Beginner

I hear about protein so much that I am worried! People, please read the China Study, it debunks the importance of protein, actually T Colin Campbell states that animal protein turns "on" cancer expression while plant protein turns "off" cancer expression.
I made a protein meme a while ago...hahah....

-Cassie K, Vegans Living off the Land

Last edited by sillybunnns; 09-12-2014 at 07:01 AM.
#14 Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 PM

I love this article on protein.
#15 Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Some of those people who ask "how do you get your protein" are not doing so well themselves. It's not that they're looking at their diet and measuring the protein content of potato chips & French fries. They're just repeating what they've heard others say. Personally, I do struggle to get enough protein but I'm still much healthier than I was when I ate meat. I was not getting enough vitamins, fiber, or who knows what back then.
#16 Old 09-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
the protein mythology has its roots before world war 1 at the dawn of organic chemistry.
Actually, I think the roots go deeper than that. Back to the ancient Greeks. It was Pythagoris (maybe? one of those guys) who first named protien as primary to life. Without any of the modern understanding of course, but the stage was set.

Ken
#17 Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM

lysine is the one to watch out for.

I take 2grams/day in pill form.

#18 Old 09-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^^ It's true that most (maybe all) grains are short on lysine, but almost all legumes are rich in this amino acid. That was a major theme of Frances Moore Lappe's classic book, "Diet For A Small Planet", although apparently it is not necessary to get a complete mix of amino acids in one meal- over the course of a day is enough. I think eating just grains or just beans all day (as far as your protein source foods go) is boring anyway.

But some of us- myself included- think grains are tastier than legumes, so a lysine supplement is another option- although I usually just eat some beans.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 09-20-2014 at 08:24 AM.
#19 Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 AM

I get bored of beans, sometimes.

Right now I would like to make a bean curry with rice, but that would be about 1000calories, and I want to diet at the moment, so maybe I will just have a Potnoodle and some bread....

Last edited by Blobbenstein; 09-20-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page