Allergies forcing me to go vegan, how does my diet look? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ficbot

#1 Old 08-26-2014, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Allergies forcing me to go vegan, how does my diet look?

I always shied away from being completely vegan, but I have had some recent eczema outbreaks; I kept a food diary and have realized that dairy seems to be the trigger. So now I am going totally vegan and would love a critique of my diet to make sure I am getting good nutrition.

I read a great book by Leslie Beck, RD, which has a food exchange plan that is vegan. I had success with exchange-based plans in the past but always had to ration the carbs; this one being designed for vegans does include carbs but it will also make sure that I get enough protein, veggies and so on. I am trying the 1400-calorie plan she suggests, which includes:

3 servings protein
5 servings grains or starchy vegetables
3 servings fruit (you can trade one for an extra grain or starchy veg serving)
5 servings vegetables
3 servings fats or oils

She specifies what a serving is for the different foods in these groupings, and I made a list of the ones I eat and am planning my meals off of there. Here was my day today. I welcome comments on how I am doing...

Breakfast: Smoothie of rice milk (for the B12), coffee and a spoonful of protein powder (I can't have soy milk or nut milk, so I am using rice milk and having the hemp powder). I also had a homemade oatmeal muffin. This was a protein and a carb, and I traded one of my fruit servings for a carb serving to include the rice milk.

Snack: Cherries and a few pieces of sunflower seed granola (about 100 calories worth). This was a protein and a fruit serving.

Lunch: 2/3 cup of cooked grains from a mix (it had quinoa, barley and a few other ones) topped with a stir-fry of spinach and 1/3 cup chickpeas cooked with a spoonful of olive oil. This was two grain servings, a fat, a vegetable and a protein.

Snack: A cup of red pepper strips, a peach and 2 tbsp hemp seeds. This was a vegetable, a fruit and a fat.

Dinner: A cup of baby carrots, then a whole-wheat bagel with a measured serving of peanut butter. Peanut butter can be a fat or a protein depending on the serving size; this was two grain servings, a protein and a vegetable.

By my calculation, I still could have one more vegetable, but I did hit all the other targets. She has a little chart showing how to divide it up per meal, to keep your blood sugar even. I followed it perfectly except that I added in a mid-morning snack because I was hungry; I could have had two fruits in the afternoon otherwise.

I do feel satisfied with the food I ate today. My plan for tomorrow:

Breakfast: The smoothie again, and a toaster waffle with peanut butter (two starch, one protein)

Snack: I liked having the extra morning snack and will probably do it again. Cherries and two tbsp sunflower seeds (a fruit, a fat)

Lunch: Veggie burger with salad and baby carrots (two starch, one protein, two veg). If I get ketchup on the burger, I may count it as a fat serving.

Snack: A cup of apple slices, red peppers with hummus for dipping (a fruit, a vegetable, a fat). Hummus is another which can also count as a protein if you adjust the serving size, but I'll just have a little bit.

Dinner: We are probably having Indian. Rice, a bit of naaan and the one with the cauliflower and potato in the tomato sauce. (two starch, two vegetable)

How does this all look to you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds amazing. All the best.

If you want to plug your food into a calculator to check nutrients, etc. here is a free site someone here recommended that I used yesterday: https://cronometer.com/
#3 Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the reassurance, Tweety! Now that I am getting the hang of things, I have felt a little more comfortable mixing things up a little. I did not wind up going out at lunch today, so I had leftover grains from yesterday with baked beans for lunch, then some peppers after. I had pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds with the cherries, and then did not feel like having more beans for snack, so I had a protein shake and some watermelon. I used up my dinner protein, but did not have my second or third healthy fat serving. So I am planning to have pasta with tomato sauce (or rice with veggie stir fry) for dinner, and I can have some granola bites (in the healthy fat serving size, not the protein serving size) later if I feel snack. She did say that the fats servings are the most expendable part if you are trying to lose weight, so I suppose as long as I have some, I don't need to stuff myself to get all three 'servings.' The important thing is that I am eating from all the food groups (proteins, starches, fruits, veggies and fats) right?
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good. It is important, in my opinion, to eat a variety of foods...within your parameters...and keep switching it up, rather than relying on a few things. Try out new grains like kamut, quinoa (which has a lot of protein), and eat a variety of fruits and veggies of all different colors.
#5 Old 08-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I always shied away from being completely vegan, but I have had some recent eczema outbreaks; I kept a food diary and have realized that dairy seems to be the trigger.
I didn't know that dairy was a trigger for me until I after I went vegan. I've struggled with severe eczema my entire life, and after cutting dairy, my skin is totally clear (scarred, but clear). Since I was lacto-vegetarian before, my diet hasn't changed very much, so I'm pretty sure it was the dairy.

I hope that going vegan clears your skin up like it did mine! Eczema can be really horrible.

Your diet looks great! As was mentioned already, make sure to get variety. Once you have been at it a while you will get more comfortable playing around with things. Eating a wide variety of whole foods from each food group is the key to staying healthy as a vegan (as an anyone, actually) - and it seems like you already have that down. Go you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page