?vegan/honey? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

#1 Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM

Question ?vegan/honey?

I consider myself vegan. I dont like the crulety of animals of course but I became vegan for health reasons. I was just told that I am not a vegan because maybe twice a year I will use honey. I dont eat gelatine, eggs, dairy, meat, seafood, processed foods and eat only organic. We all know that its not easy if one comes from a meat and potatoe background to become and stay vegan. I have always been proud of my choice and dedication to vegan and am frustrated to know one product now takes that away? I was told to use agave in the place of honey but I do not use food products that are packaged, jarred or processed. Is there something I could use in place of honey that is not packaged in any form? Again I might need it twice a year for baking so I can cut it out and wont use it again but I would love to hear an idea for a replacement if anyone knows of one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2014, 04:13 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Agave nectar works great as a sub.

But truthfully, perfection is impossible. Don't worry yourself so much about "label perfection". Focus on the intentions you are putting into things and the habits.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 08-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Agave nectar works great as a sub.

But truthfully, perfection is impossible. Don't worry yourself so much about "label perfection". Focus on the intentions you are putting into things and the habits.
Thanks for that! I would love to be fully free of all chemical laden foods, gmo foods or any type of packaging but its getting harder to verify the products and what was once available seems to be not these days. Who knew that it would become so hard to obtain affordable, vegan whole foods living.......its like the world is programmed that only packaged or ready made is good because its so much cheaper which to me is so very sad. I will look into agave since it is a kinder and better choice and may have to give in to the fact that its packaged/jar. Thanks :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Maple syrup is another one, but it is expensive if bought pure and made locally. Brown rice syrup has the thick sticky consistency of honey and works well where honey is used in baking but it is a bit more "processed" than honey. I have gone weeks without any kind of sweetener at all and just used fresh fruit as a sweetener (more out of not having money available than to avoid it). I might squeeze the juice from citrus fruit or use it in hot cereals or in stir fries etc. I also grow my own stevia herb plant and add the leaves to smoothies in my blender or in hot herbal tea. I found the stevia leaf herb at a local garden center. I have not tried growing it from seed yet though.

I second what River said though. Don't try to strive for perfection. I used to be very strict with food and cut out more and more stuff. I went crazy obsessing about what I ate and where it came from etc. I have a history of an eating disorder and I got pretty sick for a while and I am paying for it dearly with worsening osteoporosis. I have gotten to the point where I am not going to feel bad if I buy a package of tofu or a can of tomatoes instead of fresh organic local non packaged bla bla. There are far worse issues to be concerned with. I also do not have a lot of money to work with so everything can't be organic for me, and I don't have the time to research the origins of every speck of food and other items I buy. I do the best I can and leave it at that. In fact sometimes I have to step away from vegan forums because I have been challenged with my choice to eat gluten, soy, raw food, fruits, nuts, fats etc by someone with some kind of agenda or dogma. I am at a place now, having gotten healthier, that the last thing I need is to be told I shouldn't eat this or that. I still find myself avoiding foods because I have been told its "bad" etc. It's so easy for that awful voice that still berates me to tell me I don't need this or that.

Honey is a very touchy subject and seems to divide a lot of people. I think there are numerous topics on it here on VB.
60225 and jml02080419 like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM

well I am wondering who did the telling and the labelling. I just say do the best you can and try not let others tell you what to do and how to do it.

There are a lot of people out there who are only too happy to tell us many things. i say ignore most of them.
Teresaw and jml02080419 like this.
#6 Old 08-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyho View Post
well I am wondering who did the telling and the labelling. I just say do the best you can and try not let others tell you what to do and how to do it.

There are a lot of people out there who are only too happy to tell us many things. i say ignore most of them.
Agreed! What kind of jerk would say that you're not vegan? Almost everything has a little bit of animal product in it, if you consider clothing: wool, silk, even the glue in shoes.
I had forgotten about honey, initially, when it comes to vegan.

Not to make your life more complicated, but the cheap honey (as in, the stuff in the little plastic jars shaped like a bear) is often made simply by feeding bees sugar water.

Unfortunately, the "real" stuff is often expensive.

In that way, using a substitute like others are suggesting might be the way to go.

In any case, we all do the best we can. I haven't transitioned fully to vegan yet, and I admire you for doing so!
LedBoots and jml02080419 like this.
#7 Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Ankle Biter

Honey isn't vegan. If you choose to make an exception twice a year, that's up to you and not up to the vegan police. But the next time you want to bake whatever it is that you bake that requires honey, go to some well-known vegan recipe sites and look for alternative recipes. Vegan baking has come a long, long way in the past couple of years, and I'm sure whatever recipe you want to make will have wonderful, fully-vegan alternatives.
LedBoots, mags102 and scwendy like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Banned

You are a vegan. Some vegans have honey. Some don't. I do not. After learning more about,i will not have honey ever again. However,i recently found out i am having bee pollen because it's an ingredient in one of the foods i eat daily. I am going to look more into bee pollen and decide if i want to stop having it and how to do so.
#9 Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Banned

Don't worry. You are still a vegan. Don't let people tell you are not just because you have honey. As long as you don't eat milk,eggs,meat,gelatin,cheese or things with it,you are vegan. I understand your frustration. When your new vegan,it is tricky finding what you can/cannot have and learning. I found out some vegans don't even have sugar. Well,guess what? I'm going to keep on having sugar. don't worry about the vegan police. You are making a wonderful difference. Relax and look into honey when you get a chance and decide for you if you want to keep having it or not.
#10 Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

How about sugar or maple syrup for substitutes?
#11 Old 08-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Honey is a marginal case - I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've pretty much only heard vegans on the internet make much of a fuss over it -- in real life, most of the vegans I know either eat honey themselves occasionally, or don't care if others do.

That said, there are plenty of substitutes. I like maple syrup, since I usually have some around, but in many recipes, any kind of sugar will be a fine substitute if a liquid isn't really needed.
#12 Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 PM

You are still vegan. Please do not listen to what people or the internet tells you. I agree with everyone here with what they have said.
Don't feel guilty and there is lots of substitutes you can find if you really want to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page