what can I make with zucchini - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By VeganDoll
  • 1 Post By frrt
  • 2 Post By kallyho

#1 Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM

what can I make with zucchini

I don't eat anything with palm oil or mono and diglycerides and use a lot less oil than a lot of people. That being said, I have some serious zucchini going on. What do I think I should cook with them? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM

I know what you mean, I have zucchini coming out the ying yang lol...we usually slice it up and grill it on the stove top with spices.. but you don't like to use oils so idk.. I also plan on making zucchini bread again this year.. you could make yourself muffins... or zucchini chips as well..
#3 Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM

I just looked these up on pintrest they look amazing.. okay, now I'm drooling. They say you can bake them instead of fry as well to avoid the oil http://chefinyou.com/2012/08/zucchini-potato-fritters/
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

I've yet to try it, but "zoodles" (zucchini noodles) are a popular, lower carb alternative to traditional pasta. Seems like that'd be an easy way to burn through a zuke stockpile!
jml02080419 likes this.
#5 Old 08-08-2014, 03:32 PM

well I made zoodles yesterday with sauce and they were good. I will make those fritters tonight and let you know how I liked em. I will bake them and cut down on the oil a lot.
#6 Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I have tons of zucchini from my garden also, and collard greens! So this is what I did last night. I have a large nonstick skillet. I cut up some fresh tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, collard greens, egg plant, onion, and minced garlic and added it all to the skillet with some water and vegetable broth. I also added some fresh herbs...basil and oregano...from my garden. I also added some dried cooked chickpeas I had on hand. I threw in a small can of tomato paste, and simmered the whole thing until everything was soft and thick, about twenty minutes. I made some brown rice and scooped the vegetable/bean mixture over it. It made enough for about six servings and my husband and I had it again tonight. VERY good! No oil required either if you have a nonstick pan.

I also like to add zucchini in tomato sauce with other vegetables and red lentils for a rich spaghetti sauce over spaghetti.

If you wanted a "parmesan" to go over any of these dishes, just add some walnut or almond pieces in your blender or food processor and some nutritional yeast and blend to grind it into a "parmesan" like consistency. Though I haven't tried it, a food processor or coffee grinder might also work for this. I like the nutty texture and taste of ground nuts/nutritional yeast in pasta or veggie types of dishes.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#8 Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 AM

I made the fritters. i tried to bake them in the oven, but they stuck, so I took them out and fried them in the minimal oil I could. They were really good that way.
LedBoots and VeganDoll like this.
#9 Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

My three favorite ways to cook zucchini are:

1: in ratatouille - Sometimes I will follow a ratatouille recipe but replace all the squash types with zucchini only and it still turns out great. We have a ton of zucchini this time of year, so ratatouille is a healthier way to turn it into a meal. If you aren't familiar with ratatouille it is basically tomatoes and onions and squash and herbs cooked together into something really flavorful. You can bake it or cook it on the stovetop - if you use some tomato sauce you don't need any oil at all.

2: baked! I slice one zucchini lengthwise into quarters (or sixths if it is a really large zucchini) and sprinkle it with some sort of seasoning - chili powders are really good - and then bake them skin side down in the oven until they are hot all the way through and just softening. You should be able to cut them with a fork.

3: Baked - the unhealthy way! I love zucchini bread, and zucchini brownies. I don't have a recipe off the top of my head that doesn't call for oil, though. Both of these make a really great way to share produce with friends without raining vegetables on them (where I'm from, NO ONE needs extra fresh vegetables this time of year, veggies are available free from roadside stands all over).
#10 Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 AM

I like taking a cheese grater to any kind of thick and fibrous vegetables and then mixing it all together into a patty or ball and pan-frying them. Potato, eggplant, and zucchini with a lil oil and some crushed up crackers, some spices. Hell yeah

"From all mountains do I look out for fatherlands and mother-lands. But a home have I found nowhere: unsettled am I in all cities... Alien to me, and a mockery, are the present-day men...; and exiled am I from fatherlands and motherlands. Thus do I love only my children’s land, the undiscovered in the remotest sea: for it do I ...search and search.
Unto my children will I make amends for being the
child of my fathers..."

-Nietzsche,Thus Spoke Zarathustra
#11 Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Potatotarian

I had a huge zucchini to use up and I was making split pea soup so I grated a whole bunch into the soup. I'm talking like 4 cups of grated zucchini. Then I blended up a couple cups of kale and threw that in too. In the end, it tasted the same as split pea soup without zucchini or kale. Now I always make it that way.

My "recipe" is crazy simple. Just 1 lb split peas, an onion chopped up, a couple carrots, and then the kale and zucchini, however much you want. Salt and pepper to taste, but you can add other spices if you like.
#12 Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 AM

oooh I want that soup now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page