4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheVeggieCat
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie
  • 1 Post By vear
  • 1 Post By VeganDoll

#1 Old 08-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Part-Time Russian

Pre-made bread crumbs. Oh no!

I'm still a relatively new vegan in a non-vegan household so please don't kill me for making this mistake. I had been breading my popcorn-tofu with bread crumbs that had been in the cabinet for Gods know how long. Today, I decided to check the ingredients. Then discovered that they contained milk eggs butter and whey. I was just... Very very upset with myself. So today I ditched the bread crumbs and made something a little better. Combining home-made corn flour with sea salt, pepper, basil, parsley, sesame seeds and nutritional yeast, I came up with a great new breading for my favorite game-day snack. It's great dipped in a spicy vegenaise based sauce.

I just feel so stupid for not reading labels. *sigh*

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

VeggieCats, don't be hard on yourself! Similar things have happened to many of us. As a new vegan, I bought and ate cheese that said it was milk-free but inexplicably had whey in it. I also once ate soup made with chicken broth by accident.

Why do they put dairy in so many ridiculous things? Some kinds of bread, and bread crumbs, for example?
#3 Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
VeggieCats, don't be hard on yourself! Similar things have happened to many of us. As a new vegan, I bought and ate cheese that said it was milk-free but inexplicably had whey in it. I also once ate soup made with chicken broth by accident.

Why put dairy in so many ridiculous things? Some kinds of bread, and bread crumbs, for example?
I know it's ridiculous~ The bread crumbs that were in there were "Progresso" and a no name brand. *sigh* I need to be more careful.
LedBoots likes this.

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I would say don't feel bad for using up something that likely has a minuscule amount of animal products anyway. You already bought the item, so no real harm is done in using it.

When you shop for new breadcrumbs, you can look for panko bread crumbs -- they might be found in the Asian food area. They are usually vegan (but always read the label to be sure). Or you could make your own from any bread you like if you have a food processor. They can be frozen to keep them fresh.

The popcorn tofu, and your new version of the recipe, sounds great!
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeggieCat View Post
I'm still a relatively new vegan in a non-vegan household so please don't kill me for making this mistake. I had been breading my popcorn-tofu with bread crumbs that had been in the cabinet for Gods know how long. Today, I decided to check the ingredients. Then discovered that they contained milk eggs butter and whey. I was just... Very very upset with myself. So today I ditched the bread crumbs and made something a little better. Combining home-made corn flour with sea salt, pepper, basil, parsley, sesame seeds and nutritional yeast, I came up with a great new breading for my favorite game-day snack. It's great dipped in a spicy vegenaise based sauce.

I just feel so stupid for not reading labels. *sigh*
Same exact thing happened to me at the beginning. They'd been sitting there so long... and it's bread crumbs!! I didn't think twice. +1 for panko. I like how fluffly it is. The experience did teach me to read EVERYTHING! Good luck!
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM

When I first began the vegan lifestyle.. like you, I made mistakes. Labels confused me.. if it didn't say it was vegan right on the package I was at a loss. I downloaded an app on my iphone called "is it vegan" you can scan any bar code and it'll tell you if it's vegan or not and if not, it'll list the ingredients that aren't vegan. It was very helpful when I was first starting out.
Technus likes this.
#7 Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM

oh this happens to me from time to time. Just learn the lesson and move on.
#8 Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I buy Kikkomans Panko.
Something else I like to bread tofu with is the remaining crumbs from chips, or pretzels. I crush what's left and add black pepper and some flour. The bag is perfect for shake and bake!
#9 Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself, I make these mistakes too :-) I mean it's bread crumbs for crying out loud, who would have thought it would have eggs and dairy? I noticed the same thing on the bread crumbs I had, and yes I did the same thing, not read the label, lol. So in the trash they went after checking one day. I was lucky to find one package of breadcrumbs at the store that did not have milk in it. I'm sitting here thinking.. "why??? it's bread!"
#10 Old 08-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I think we've almost all been there at some time or another. When I first went vegetarian (ten years ago) I had no idea that most soups are made with meat broth bases. If it didn't have chunks of meat in it, I wrongly assumed that soups were safe to eat. I was so mad at myself when I found out! It had just never occurred to me that people would use beef broth in vegetable soup or chicken broth in broccoli soup.

Like others have mentioned, if you want a new vegan breadcrumb option check out Panko style breadcrumbs. They are usually vegan. It sounds like you came up with your own breading option though, so that's great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page