• 1 Post By Jennifer C
  • 1 Post By Huckleberry
  • 1 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 3 Post By kallyho

#1 Old 08-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Part-Time Russian

A Tiny Rant, nothing serious.

Nothing real bad here just something I thought I'd share and get off my chest a little. I've completely accepted the fact that my grandpa hunts and he's not gonna change that, I've also accepted that grandma eats meat and that isn't gonna change either. We have a family friend, let's just call her "Gene." So we visited Ms. Gene yesterday because she had recently broken her foot on the job. We went over to play a family game of scrabble. Well, I knew we would be out there a while, so I decided to pack a chick-pea salad sandwich with some blue corn tortilla chips and a bottle of carrot-orange juice. Lunch time rolled around and I asked if it would be alright to eat my food at the scrabble table. She said yes, so I began to eat. She and the others made some hot dogs for their lunch. Not five seconds later she makes this disgusted noise. I turn to her to see that shes looking at my sandwich. I said nothing and continued to eat. She asked what was on it, I told her chick-peas, vegenaise, onion, dill weed, celery ect. She just makes the loudest "EEEEEEW" I ever heard. Everyone at the scrabble table was then staring at me, I was slightly embarrassed to say the least, but continued to eat and play the game. She asked why I didn't eat meat, milk, or eggs. I simply told her it was better for me that I didn't. I had no intention of causing an argument, but she seemed dead-set on making me feel bad for the way I eat, telling me it wasn't healthy and that the food I ate was gross. I kept cool though and finished my lunch. I then helped her clean her house and took out her trash for her and got her mail. So y'know nothing too bad happened. The next day she came to visit us. I was in the living room with the family and Grandpa was watching his hunting shows. When the elk on the screen was being shot at, suddenly Ms. Gene said "oh no run run!" confused I looked up at her. She was showing signs of being very uncomfortable with watching the elk being killed. "Oh poor thing" she said. I almost wanted to say "Gosh you sure didn't think that pig was poor when eating that hot dog yesterday." But i Kept to myself. I guess I'm not to keen on hypocrisy. But, it's whatever. Ok guys go on about your business I'm done letting my feelings out about the situation.
Capstan, Purp, Technus and 2 others like this.

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

People like that crack me up. I think their aggressive and defensiveness often comes from inner conflict and guilt.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Ankle Biter

Good for you for not pointing out Ms. Gene's hypocrisy! Sometimes it's hard to bite your tongue, but unless it gets very personal, I think it's best to let these things slide. Perhaps she'll see the light one of these days. One can hope.
Purp, Jennifer C and TheVeggieCat like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Bravo!

It seems like some people antagonize others just to get a rise out of them. Like if you compared your healthy lunch to their hot dogs I wouldn't be surprised if you got the reputation of preachy vegetarian! Instead you proved to be the the bigger person, particularly by helping her out.

Good karma to you!

and I liked that you sail "carrot-orange" juice, and not "orange carrot".
Purp and TheVeggieCat like this.
#5 Old 08-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Bravo!

It seems like some people antagonize others just to get a rise out of them. Like if you compared your healthy lunch to their hot dogs I wouldn't be surprised if you got the reputation of preachy vegetarian! Instead you proved to be the the bigger person, particularly by helping her out.

Good karma to you!

and I liked that you sail "carrot-orange" juice, and not "orange carrot".
XD Oh gosh to people really say orange carrot juice? :3 well yes it's a rather dark shade of orange if I may say so myself. XD thanks for the reply.
Purp likes this.

Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

русский
Deutsch
Español
#6 Old 08-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

You should just call them out next time.

Tell her what she is doing is very rude and let her know the error of her ways. Shouldn't let people mistreat you.
Purp and Vegan Dave like this.
#7 Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Part-Time Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
You should just call them out next time.

Tell her what she is doing is very rude and let her know the error of her ways. Shouldn't let people mistreat you.
But I find when I speak in such a manor it seems to only make things worse. I do not wish to cause conflict *sigh*
Purp likes this.

Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

русский
Deutsch
Español
#8 Old 08-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Bravo!

Good karma to you!
I totally agree. Sometimes it's SO hard to not say anything back, especially in hypocritical situations, but sometimes it's just not worth the stress. In this situation, I doubt you'd have changed any minds and yeah, you just would have been labeled the preachy veg-head.

Good job staying cool under pressure!
Purp likes this.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#9 Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

You handled that beautifully, much better than I probably would have.
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Hi, VeggieCat!

I don't know what to say. People are hard to figure out (not you- the people you were dealing with). Ms Gene might actually be coming your way, though... she has a wish not to see animals harmed.

(Too bad I wasn't there, eating one of my culinary abominations... I'm really not a good cook as a rule, and your lunch would have looked very appetizing by comparison. Okay... maybe "abomination" is too strong a word for most of the vegan meals I create... but there was this one time I tried to dream up a new way of making chili, and I swear it turned out mauve-colored.... I hate to waste food and it wasn't going to make me sick, so I ate it all, but that would have been something to EEEEWWWWWW about!)

chick peas... dill weed... vegenaise... onion... celery... 5 of the best-tasting foods in the UNIVERSE in one sandwich. Can't go wrong with that combination. *Shrug* It was their loss. I never much liked hot dogs even when I was a meat eater.
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#11 Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeggieCat View Post
I decided to pack a chick-pea salad sandwich with some blue corn tortilla chips and a bottle of carrot-orange juice.
OK....now I'm hungry!!!!!

It's a tough call....I'd want to call her out & ask her to compare her "hot dog" to your food. OTOH, avoiding conflict can be a good thing. I guess you gotta be there to know what's the best course of action.

I would not retreat one iota, however. Eat your "weird veggie food" and have a great day!!!
Purp likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#12 Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 PM

not a battle you can win I think. Good for you for letting it go.
River, Purp and TheVeggieCat like this.
#13 Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Nothing real bad here just something I thought I'd share and get off my chest a little. I've completely accepted the fact that my grandpa hunts and he's not gonna change that, I've also accepted that grandma eats meat and that isn't gonna change either. We have a family friend, let's just call her "Gene." So we visited Ms. Gene yesterday because she had recently broken her foot on the job. We went over to play a family game of scrabble. Well, I knew we would be out there a while, so I decided to pack a chick-pea salad sandwich with some blue corn tortilla chips and a bottle of carrot-orange juice. Lunch time rolled around and I asked if it would be alright to eat my food at the scrabble table. She said yes, so I began to eat. She and the others made some hot dogs for their lunch. Not five seconds later she makes this disgusted noise. I turn to her to see that shes looking at my sandwich. I said nothing and continued to eat. She asked what was on it, I told her chick-peas, vegenaise, onion, dill weed, celery ect. She just makes the loudest "EEEEEEW" I ever heard. Everyone at the scrabble table was then staring at me, I was slightly embarrassed to say the least, but continued to eat and play the game. She asked why I didn't eat meat, milk, or eggs. I simply told her it was better for me that I didn't. I had no intention of causing an argument, but she seemed dead-set on making me feel bad for the way I eat, telling me it wasn't healthy and that the food I ate was gross. I kept cool though and finished my lunch. I then helped her clean her house and took out her trash for her and got her mail. So y'know nothing too bad happened. The next day she came to visit us. I was in the living room with the family and Grandpa was watching his hunting shows. When the elk on the screen was being shot at, suddenly Ms. Gene said "oh no run run!" confused I looked up at her. She was showing signs of being very uncomfortable with watching the elk being killed. "Oh poor thing" she said. I almost wanted to say "Gosh you sure didn't think that pig was poor when eating that hot dog yesterday." But i Kept to myself. I guess I'm not to keen on hypocrisy. But, it's whatever. Ok guys go on about your business I'm done letting my feelings out about the situation.
Your lunch sounds better then hotdogs. Mind you, I'd be asking, too. Then taking a bite...I make a lousy omnivore, don't I. If it makes you feel better, I think biting one's own tongue is vegan.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Yeaaah. A coworker of mine hunts. He doesn't mind talking about it... with all the fantastic details. He follows his story with another one about how there's a family of deer that live in his back yard and that the male is there which is rare to see and the baby deer goes up to daddy and tries to play etc and how he thinks it's the cutest thing. Following that heart warming story he starts talking about planting fruit trees so he attract more deer so he can shoot them.
#15 Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM

And hotdogs aren't disgusting? And I'm sure they are so wonderfully healthy compared to chick peas.. ugh! And so true about the hypocrisy, it's rampant in this world. If you can't stomach an animal being shot and killed, you shouldn't be eating them. We are all born with compassion, it's in our nature, why do we defy it every time we pick up a steak or a cheeseburger?
#16 Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 PM

I think people like that feel it's okay because they aren't watching the animals eat die. It's like there's no connection as far as animals dying for their meal, it's like it doesn't happen as long as they don't see it. I have this happen sometimes and it always catches me off guard and I just don't know what to say or I have a hard time keeping my opinion to myself. I believe it's best to not say anything though, if you get mad at them and point out their hypocrisy they instantly get defensive and close themselves off to even thinking about it.
#17 Old 08-09-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Sowers View Post
I think people like that feel it's okay because they aren't watching the animals eat die. It's like there's no connection as far as animals dying for their meal, it's like it doesn't happen as long as they don't see it. I have this happen sometimes and it always catches me off guard and I just don't know what to say or I have a hard time keeping my opinion to myself. I believe it's best to not say anything though, if you get mad at them and point out their hypocrisy they instantly get defensive and close themselves off to even thinking about it.
I have had exactly this.. "yes but it's not me killing the animals. The people doing it are the ones with blood on their hands not me" I just want to shout at them... but you are buying the meat! Do you understand supply and demand? You have the blood on your hands each time you purchase meat!!! Ahhhhh! Frustrating.
#18 Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 AM

That's kinda like what happened to me the other day. I had finally gotten the courage to watch Earthlings, which gave me new motivation to continue on with my transition to veganism. While watching it, I was talking to a friend about how it was keeping me motivated, and he told me I was "Brainwashing" myself. Then proceeded to tell me that I should just accept the way animals are treated and massacred because that's "just how it is". But he'll be the first one to say that he hates seeing animals being tortured and killed. Then afterwards he'll go on and on about how he "needs" meat. However, I kept to myself because I didn't want an argument.

People often judge what they don't understand. The best we can do is be patient with others, and try to educate the ones who want to be educated. To me, trying to argue with die-hard carnivores is not worth my time. They don't want to learn, so I leave them alone.
#19 Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 AM

I think I would have said, that's how I feel about livestock animals. I envision this, and can't take part.

It doesn't attack her, but illustrates your thoughts (however roughly).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page