• 1 Post By brenneng
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By Poppy
  • 2 Post By Ember008
  • 1 Post By Dan Bukowski
  • 1 Post By kallyho

#1 Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM

Parents

I'm 13 years old and after learning about the cruelty of animals in factory farms I have started supporting groups like PETA by informing others through Facebook and distributing leaflets. I am trying to be vegan but what do I tell my parents?
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I highly recommend the books, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Nutrition by Julieanna Hever, The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn, and My Beef With Meat, by Rip Esselstyn. These will give you the basics of vegan diet nutrition. Some good cookbooks for beginners are Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, How it All Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard, The Garden of Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard, Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, Vegan Fire and Spice by Robin Robertson. Good luck telling your parents you want to change to a vegan!! I hope it turns out all right.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 AM
Ankle Biter

I agree with Purp - read up on nutrition before you approach your parents. Understand that you will probably have to be pro-active and help with meal planning, cooking and clean-up. I would also suggest that you plan to be very appreciative of any help your parents give you, and don't complain if they don't think this is a good idea. It may take a while to win them over. It may take baby steps, but be mature, positive and keep your sense of humor. Good luck!
Purp likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 AM

You maybe shouldnt be too preachy about it. I think you should just lay out the facts for people and let them make their own life decisions. It is a life style some peoples bodies simply cant support. Some people cant absorb nutrients needed through alternative sources than meat. Then you just have to respect their decision, wish them well, and try to talk to them about paying the extra money to eat organic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp and theCaityCat like this.
#5 Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 AM

I would suggest watching "Forks Over Knives" with your parents. A 2 hour film is less of an investment on your parents time than a book and I feel the health benefits of being vegan is an easier benefit to absorb as we personally see and feel the health rather than the obvious environmental and social benefits. Best of luck!

www.danbukowski.com
Vegan Dave likes this.
#6 Old 07-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember008 View Post
You maybe shouldnt be too preachy about it. I think you should just lay out the facts for people and let them make their own life decisions. It is a life style some peoples bodies simply cant support. Some people cant absorb nutrients needed through alternative sources than meat. Then you just have to respect their decision, wish them well, and try to talk to them about paying the extra money to eat organic.
Do you have a source for this? I've never heard of it.
#7 Old 07-19-2014, 10:30 AM

my guess is that your parents will think you will not get enough nourishment on a vegan diet so you will have to help a lot for them to get this. Forks Over Knives film is likely at your library or you can get an interlibrary loan.

Now here is the other thing - if I was your mom and there was a family and I was already tired out with cooking etc, someone wanting a vegan menu might just put me over the top. It is a lot of extra work. That is where you come in. Plan the menu, don't ask for extravagant stuff on the grocery list, and do your own cooking whenever you can.

Find recipes your mom can make for everyone that would include you and then let her add cheese or whatever. Go slowly. Be sure you want to do this before you commit. Once you have committed don't go backwards by sometimes eating food that is not vegan. I knew a couple of teens who insisted they were gluten free. I went to a lot of trouble and $$ to get this type of food for them. Then I came home one night to find them eating regular pizza. They told me that sometimes they ate like that. That really defeated my efforts and I was a bit resentful.

So take this advice or leave it, but good luck.
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I congratulate you on your feelings toward animals!!!!

You are at an age where you start to formulate your ideas for the rest of your life. Stand by your convictions, if they are important to you. Young people have good ideas.

Your parents have more "life experience", and may offer you some "advice". I would take there advice on face value, and compare it to your convictions. Since you are not an "adult", they still call the shots. You need to tell them in a very nice way, that animal welfare is important to you. Help them see why this is important to you. Films like FORKS OVER KNIVES, etc. are great.....for an accepting audience.

Take it slow, and let us know how it goes.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

nevermind...

Last edited by silva; 07-21-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: I dissed on the comment on how some people can't be veg and maybe shouldn't have!
#10 Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hi brenneng!

How do you think your parents will react? Have you talked about how animals are treated?
What's your families diet like?

I suggest you introduce it slowly, like asking them how they feel about how animals are treated.
It's very important to know facts and not go overboard just to defend your side of things. Vegan diets can be very healthful, and contain all the protein, iron, calcium and everything else your body needs without the cholesterol and other unhealthy things animal products have. But you do need to work your diet.
Most people who eat animals don't think that much about what they're eating, but will easily criticize a veg diet for being unhealthy. You need to realize that now because you can't argue with everyone.
I hope your parents will get on board. Maybe even starting the discussion with books that aren't vegan like:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...mm%2Caps%2C184
Micheal Pollans - The Omnivores Dilemma
may be a good start. It's a popular book on how poorly the American diet and the way animals are farmed for food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page