• 1 Post By Poppy
  • 1 Post By Move of Ten
  • 2 Post By Rocket
  • 1 Post By kallyho
  • 1 Post By southernbelle

#1 Old 07-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Question I Have An Etiquette Question

My friend, that I've known for decades, literally, has run for public office. She walked in the parade in town, and afterwards, had pizza. She had a pepperoni, pineapple and Canadian bacon, sausage, and a veggie pizza---with cheese. I sort of signed up to walk with them at the last minute, and she kept offering me the veg pizza with cheese...I told her my DR. said, "No dairy." and it was too late to change the order, and I didn't want to be rude, and say no thank...So I put the plate it was on down on the table and left it. I hate to waste food, but I also hate to be rude, and I also hate to go against my diet. Is that all right?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Of course it's all right. It's hard to know what to do in certain situations. You didn't want to hurt your friends feelings and you didn't go against your decision not to eat animal products.
#3 Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Ankle Biter

Yes, it's all right. It was an awkward situation, and you made the best of it. And now you're prepared for what might happen (how the details about your individual diet might be neglected) at political events. So be sure you have something in your purse or backpack to tide you over when your options are limited. Good luck!
Purp likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My move in this situation would be to throw a quart of red paint at her and then run away.
Poppy likes this.
#5 Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I have had to do this before. If you can't talk to them about it *before* they order, and if you cannot stop them from serving you a plate of the pizza or whatever, then you are right to just put it on the table for someone else (or, back in the box maybe). And keep in mind - if you had eaten the pizza just to be polite, the cheese likely would have either given you the runs, or stopped you up, or - depending on how sensitive you are - given you an allergy attack. From a health perspective, there is no way you could have eaten any (I'm sure you are aware of that).

Years ago at my job, periodically they would bring in lunch for the entire program (several hundred people) - either pizza or a bunch of subs. The program manager who made the arrangements always made a point of telling me there was a veggie pizza or sub (always with cheese, though). I always just told her thank you and did not take any. I appreciated that she tried to make some effort, and I knew it was really too much to expect her to remember my dairy restriction.
Purp and Tiger Lilly like this.
#6 Old 07-14-2014, 10:56 AM

perfectly all right. Thank your friend for the effort - it is hard to remember everyone's dietary needs today. Always put the food down. No big deal.
LedBoots likes this.
#7 Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Zelda Freak

Yeah. I agree with everyone above. Don't eat what you don't want to eat. It's not a big deal to say no thanks. It's not like you threw the pizza at her!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
My friend, that I've known for decades, literally, has run for public office. She walked in the parade in town, and afterwards, had pizza. She had a pepperoni, pineapple and Canadian bacon, sausage, and a veggie pizza---with cheese. I sort of signed up to walk with them at the last minute, and she kept offering me the veg pizza with cheese...I told her my DR. said, "No dairy." and it was too late to change the order, and I didn't want to be rude, and say no thank...So I put the plate it was on down on the table and left it. I hate to waste food, but I also hate to be rude, and I also hate to go against my diet. Is that all right?
Sounds OK to me.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 07-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I handled it well.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Everything you did was fine. I work in events and am politically active so I encounter this situation a lot. If you know you're going to be there, I always offer to bring my own food. Usually the offer is refused, but it starts the conversation. Veganism can seem overwhelming to those who are unfamiliar with it, but once you give them a simple option, there are rarely issues.
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page