Cupboard of Shame or the Anti Grocery Haul - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

#31 Old 04-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm fairly good about using up all my fresh produce in a fair amount of time and not having to throw anything, but I tend to hoard dried goods. I have about six different kinds of dried beans in my cupboards, and several boxes of pastas, some of which are more than a year old. Some gluten free flours take a while to use up also. I believe I have some brown rice flour that is over two years old lol. I have a terrible fear of empty cupboards and going hungry, knowing what hunger feels like, and loss of control. My cupboards are always full.
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

This didn't happened today but 2 months ago, we wanted a can of soup, i went to open it and it tasted funny, i then looked at the expiration date it said 2010. Wow 2010 and this came from a food pantry too.

I just did our cubbard and we had stuff that was expired two years ago and last year and it was tossed...
#33 Old 07-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

OK, I'm not sure what else may be lurking, but I've rooted around in my food stores today and come up with a silly amount of dried legumes that I wasn't fully aware were lurking there. I've moved them from their dark lair and placed them where I'll actually see - and hopefully cook - them before their expiry dates..

3 x 500g chickpeas
3 x 500g black eyed beans
2 x 500g black turtle beans
1 x 500g haricot beans
1 x 500g soya beans
1 x 1kg black beluga lentils (intrigued by these as they cost a bomb! I think they were a random / distracted buy from my local health food shop)
1 x 500g red lentils
1 x 500g flageolet beans
3 x 500g pinto beans
1 x 1kg whole green lentils

Possibly more to come, I'll be back in a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Emma JC

This is so funny Spud - your posting made me go and read all the old posts and they are hilarious.

I solve some of these issues by moving a lot.... at least one every four years.... so things get tossed then.

Since changing our lifestyle I bought glass containers at the dollar store and the hardware store and store beans, lentils and spices and oats and popcorn and flours and nooch etc, in full view. I buy most of the contents from the bulk store so I only buy as much as I think I will use over the next two weeks or so and so limit the waste as much as possible.

The glass mason type jars look very pretty with a variety of beans and things and I seem more motivated to remember to use them.

Yes, there are still foods around from when I moved 3.5 years ago that have not been used - why is it that none of those foods are chips? lol

Emma JC
Spudulika likes this.

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a

#35 Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Embracer of the Veggies

I just cleaned out my pantry and fridge this week. I had some bbq sauce that expired 2 years ago. I have been living in my place for 2 years now. I had some lemon juice and other condiments in the fridge that were well past the expiration and I had not even used them in the last year as far as I know. Specialty flours past 2 years expiration. So now I am starting from scratch almost, so my meals are quite interesting until I go grocery shopping Aug 1.
Spudulika likes this.
#36 Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
1 x 1kg black beluga lentils (intrigued by these as they cost a bomb!
Hey, I have some of those too but mine are Urid Dal which I googled that they are skinned black beluga lentils. I got mine cheap at the Indian grocery store so don't feel as bad about the price. I have 2 unopened of pounds of them. I know they come in a smaller bag so why did I get the 2 lb bag?. What are you going to do with yours?

So my legumes of shame are:
Green lentils
Red lentils
Red split lentils -why do I have split and unsplit red lentils?
Chana Dal
and the previously mentioned
Urid Dal

I also have a bunch of Quinoa that my husband won't eat. (says it is too grainy)
A bunch of walnuts, ground flax seeds and buckwheat noodles.

I found some very hard petrified limes in my fruit bowl.

In my defense about the lentils, I started a new job and don't have as much time to cook them as I used to, my husband has been cooking more and he is learning Chinese foods that don't involve lentils.

We need to have an exchange where we could trade our cupboard of shame items.
Spudulika likes this.
#37 Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

I have to recommend electric pressure cookers to everyone with bean/lentil/grain issues. I bought my Instant Pot at black friday sale for $60, so yeah, it's more now, but it's the best appliance I've ever bought. Rice and other grains cook in a Pyrex set on a rack over water and I set it for anywhere from 6 or more minutes. It does take longer since that's the time it cooks at pressure, but you don't do anything. I time things so they include time off depressurizing. When the button comes down I can open it and it's all ready.
Beans soak in it overnight, then rinse and timed for 10-15 minutes. Every time perfect.
potatos cook perfectly on the rack
I've learned to do many soups where it's all in the pot- particularly lentil
Greens steam for just a minute in just enough water
Veggies I still play with the times

You can make microwave heating pads with old lentils. Sew up in a cover and microwave for a minute. I guess you need to watch for bugs getting in them? I've never had that issue
Spudulika likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#38 Old 07-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

How can you even tell when most condiments go bad? Most seem like they're always good.
I have a bad habit of leaving just a bit of things I'm afraid I won't find again or are expensive. Like as long as I know I have it I won't buy more, even though it's too old to use!
Like this really old bottle of wine I thought I'd cook with. No
Spudulika likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#39 Old 07-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma JC View Post
This is so funny Spud - your posting made me go and read all the old posts and they are hilarious.

I solve some of these issues by moving a lot.... at least one every four years.... so things get tossed then.

Since changing our lifestyle I bought glass containers at the dollar store and the hardware store and store beans, lentils and spices and oats and popcorn and flours and nooch etc, in full view. I buy most of the contents from the bulk store so I only buy as much as I think I will use over the next two weeks or so and so limit the waste as much as possible.

The glass mason type jars look very pretty with a variety of beans and things and I seem more motivated to remember to use them.

Yes, there are still foods around from when I moved 3.5 years ago that have not been used - why is it that none of those foods are chips? lol

Emma JC
Re: old posts: Lol! Yes, I did the same.

I use plastic screw top pots, repurposed from buying fruit in juice. Not as attractive as glass - plus there's the degradation of plastic to think about. I think I'll get some glass ones to replace them.
#40 Old 07-28-2017, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post
Hey, I have some of those too but mine are Urid Dal which I googled that they are skinned black beluga lentils. I got mine cheap at the Indian grocery store so don't feel as bad about the price. I have 2 unopened of pounds of them. I know they come in a smaller bag so why did I get the 2 lb bag?. What are you going to do with yours?
I'm going to try savoury braised beluga lentils as a mock caviar. There's quite a few recipes out there:

https://www.vegetariantimes.com/reci...-caviar-toasts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page