• 2 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By djunamod
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Vegan Dave

#1 Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Beginner

"Recovering" Vegetarian? WTF???

Hi Everyone,
I'm cooking and have the TV to the Food Network in the background. The show "America's Best Cook" is on which is a competition for home chefs.

So this one woman tells Michael Simon that she's a "recovering vegetarian".

First off, the term makes completely no sense to me. You don't "recover" from being a vegetarian.

Second, the term "recovering" is so totally offensive and absurd. It implies that vegetarianism is a sickness, like alcoholism and drug addiction, something you have to "recover" from when you go off of it.

Maybe someone should tell this ditz that people become vegetarians in order to recover from serious health issues - not the other way around.

But since she brought it up... I suppose I can consider myself a "recovering" meat eater :-D.

Djuna
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

That is so ridiculous! I'm sure they meant it as a dumb joke but it is kind of offensive to imply vegetarianism is something you need to recover from. It's especially bothersome if she was vegetarian for ethical reasons and then 'recovered' from it, how do you recover from compassion?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Werwolf Girl, the pathetic thing is that she is totally serious. I get the feeling that she's saying it because she thinks it's "trendy". Also, it looks to me like she really wants to impress Michael Simon and from watching the Food Network in the past, Simon is a huge meat-loving guy. So I get the feeling that she's embarrassed about having been a vegetarian because I've watched 2 episodes of this now and she's repeated that she's a "recovering" vegetarian about 5 times each episode.

I think you said it in a wonderful way - how do you "recover" from compassion and humane treatment of the environment and of animals?

Very sad. If she wants to eat meat, fine. No problem. But shut up about it!

Djuna
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Impeach the gangster

Omnivores use every dirty trick in the book to justify their murderous ways. After all, if it's okay to slaughter an animal, why wouldn't it be okay to slander someone who doesn't?
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 05-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd go on that show to be a "recovering carnist".

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by djunamod View Post
Maybe someone should tell this ditz that people become vegetarians in order to recover from serious health issues - not the other way around.
Did she mention that her "recovery" will end with hardened arteries, obesity, and elevated cholesterol levels? At least she has high medical bills and poor health to look forward to....not to mention the unbelievable harm she is doing to other beings, the environment, and the starving people on the planet.

Besides that, it seems like a good plan.
Purp likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page