Confused about lanolin and honey? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kath
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Crochetlove

#1 Old 05-16-2014, 05:18 AM

Confused about lanolin and honey?

I've been a vegan for about a week but I was vegetarian for about a year before that so I'm fairly new to veganism. Im hoping some can shine a light on the usage of lanolin and honey and why vegans avoid them. To my knowledge lanolin is harvested from the sheep by sheering the wool off, not by killing or harming it so why are vegans supposed to that?? I also don't know the process of harvesting honey so can some one please shed some light on that too, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2014, 06:28 AM

Hi Timmy,

Welcome to VB

To a lot of people, veganism is not just about obvious forms of animal cruelty, it's about exploitation as well. That means many people who self-identify as 'vegan' (myself included) do not wish to support using animals for any products.

I know from reading recent posts that there are several VBers with much more knowledge of the honey process than I have, so I would rather wait and let them see your post so they can give you more accurate information on that.

Some people prefer to follow a plant based diet but still use the word vegan. There are frequent debates here about that.

Either way, I'm happy you're eating vegan and hope you enjoy the change. Please don't worry too much right now, there is a lot to take in! There is lots of support and recipe information to be found here.
#3 Old 05-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Lanolin is from sheep, honey from bees. Vegans try to avoid using animal products as much as is practical and possible. There are easy substitutions for these and other products. See the Honey Thread for a very long-winded discussion on this topic...
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

The honey debate is... complicated. Like LedBoots said, there is a honey thread that goes into depth on the issue, I would recommend checking it out.

One issue with lanolin and wool, besides the animal exploitation issue, is that just because the sheep aren't killed doesn't mean they are treated well. Mulesing is a common practice with wrinkled merino sheep in which sections of skin are cut off (typically without anesthetic). Proponents of mulesing claim that the scar tissue is less likely to be infected by blowflies, but there are waay more ethical ways to prevent blowfly infestation, including not raising huge numbers of wrinkly skin merino sheep for wool production in the first place. If you are sensitive to pictures of animal suffering, be careful if you do a web search for mulesing because the pictures are awful.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#5 Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

A great explanation of lanolin can be found here:

http://www.empathyforanimals.org/wha...ck-is-lanolin/

The wool/sheep agricultural industry is very cruel to sheep, buying lanolin products supports it.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page