Road Trip - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello everyone,

At the end of the week my husband and I are road tripping with my mom for my cousins wedding. Does anyone have a good idea for snacks to keep in the car? We've got about a 14 hour drive ahead of us so we'll need plenty of food. We are all trying to eat healthy so please keep that in mind with your suggestions.

At the moment I'm thinking dried fruit and nuts are easy car food.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Dried fruit and nuts are awesome! Get a couple kinds and mix them together in a big container, then portion them out into zip-lock baggies for homemade trail mix without all the candy the store bought kind comes with. I also like pumpkin or sunflower seeds, roasted chickpeas, soy nuts, wasabi peas, and whole grain dry cereal - either on their own or tossed together into the trail mix. 

If you are planning on eating meals in the car, you could also pack a cooler with some sandwiches, fresh fruit, hummus and vegetables, or pretty much anything that's good room temperature or colder. 

#3 Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

If you have (room for) a cooler you can bring plain fruit, so you could have bananas, apples, berries, etc. Premade sammiches too. If you're traveling through popukated areas, you can always stop at the grocery store to get some new veggies or drinks, etc.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM

If there is too many nuts I will just eat them. So, I would pre-portion my nuts in baggies. I would def have a cooler and here is what i would put in it.

1) those little soy milks your can buy in a 6 pack.

2) a container of cereal mixed with raisins or something like that

3) some good healthy veg crackers in a container

4) an avocado or two

5) a tomato or two

6) tons of fruit

7) hummus

and things along the way.

good luck with it.

#5 Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Veg & two wheels

Avoid high fat and/or high sugar, acid forming foods. Eg chips, fries and soda. Personally I'd think dairy isn't the best either.

Try to have plenty of fresh food ready. Sugarsnap peas/mange tout, carrot batons and broccoli florets make good nibbles. A seed mix is good. Watch out for bruising bananas.

I like to take sandwiches, houmous is my preferred filling. Don't put avocado or banana in, because they will oxidize & spoil. Salad is good in smiley.gif

I sometimes take bean salads with me too.

Try to use stores over service stations. You'll stand a better chance of getting veg*n foods.

Water is your friend. Just balance intake for toilet stops.
#6 Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurak View Post

Avoid high fat and/or high sugar, acid forming foods. Eg chips, fries and soda. Personally I'd think dairy isn't the best either.

Try to have plenty of fresh food ready. Sugarsnap peas/mange tout, carrot batons and broccoli florets make good nibbles. A seed mix is good. Watch out for bruising bananas.

I like to take sandwiches, houmous is my preferred filling. Don't put avocado or banana in, because they will oxidize & spoil. Salad is good in smiley.gif

I sometimes take bean salads with me too.

Try to use stores over service stations. You'll stand a better chance of getting veg*n foods.

Water is your friend. Just balance intake for toilet stops.

The service stations (rest stops) in the U.S. have nothing but washrooms and vending machines. At least in the states I've crossed. (Michigan, Indiana). Luckily there's a lot of exits with stores nearby.

On Topic: People already gave you good advice. A cooler is always a good and handy thing to bring on a road trip; especially now that the weather is getting hotter.

When I go on a road trip, I usually bring water, bananas, apple chips, a couple sandwiches, and cereal since I like dry cereal. Then, I stop at a couple of stores to buy some food as well.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#7 Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Veg & two wheels

Wow! I honestly thought with the US being 'bigger & better' than the UK they'd have a good network of service stations/rest stops with facilities. Most UK services have minimum a Subway/McDonald and a Costa. Some of the better ones have mini markets grin.gif
A lot do have resteraunts 8am till 5-6ish. Some 24hrs, tho they are less common.
#8 Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAndreia View Post

The service stations (rest stops) in the U.S. have nothing but washrooms and vending machines. At least in the states I've crossed. (Michigan, Indiana). Luckily there's a lot of exits with stores nearby.

On Topic: People already gave you good advice. A cooler is always a good and handy thing to bring on a road trip; especially now that the weather is getting hotter.
When I go on a road trip, I usually bring water, bananas, apple chips, a couple sandwiches, and cereal since I like dry cereal. Then, I stop at a couple of stores to buy some food as well.

I think she means gas stations,

Which iften have subways, taco times, etc. Over here, anyway. Not to mention all manner of beverages and unhealthy snackums.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#9 Old 05-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I think she means gas stations,

Which iften have subways, taco times, etc. Over here, anyway. Not to mention all manner of beverages and unhealthy snackums.

?? No. I really meant rest stops... The ones I've stopped at in Michigan and Indiana only had washrooms and vending machines. If I needed gas I had to exit.

Here in Canada, the rest stops/service stations have a gas station, a Tim Hortons, a Burger King, and a little store that sells snacks.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#10 Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

?? No. I really meant rest stops... The ones I've stopped at in Michigan and Indiana only had washrooms and vending machines. If I needed gas I had to exit.

Here in Canada, the rest stops/service stations have a gas station, a Tim Hortons, a Burger King, and a little store that sells snacks.

Maybe that's a weird Michigan/Indiana thing.

Quote:
#11 Old 05-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm from Indiana and our rest stops definitely only have restrooms and vending machines. If we are lucky, the vending machines are stocked and working, and there might be picnic tables. You have to exit to a town to get to a gas station or restaurants. 

#12 Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Rest stops only have gas stations when they are on toll roads, in my experience in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. On non-turnpikes, you have to get all the way off the highway to find a gas station.

If you're like me, you'll pack too much good food and have plenty left over when you get to your destination. Make sure anything needing refrigeration finds its way to a fridge as soon as possible.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#13 Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I went shopping yesterday and got good, healthy food that all three of us should like. We probably got enough food to get us there and back... oh, well, better to have too much than not enough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page