I need help with fatigue. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Hello errybody, I've been wanting to make a post like this for quite some time and as of late I desperately need help.

I crash like clockwork every day around 2-3pm which is when I get off work. I have a pretty physical taxing job, I am a bike messenger in downtown Indy. So constant hard riding for 3-4 hours in the sun.

I believe I eat a pretty damn good diet and I very rarely eat out and I cook all my meals at home. My meals are super consistent but here is generally what they include, and I'll try to be very detailed:

Breakfast: Normally I make stir fry for EVERY meal, it's simple and easy and I don't get tired of it. So I'll usually use HALF off every full veggie. Cut up half a potato, squash, onion, cauliflower, brocolli, corn and black beans. Then I'll eat a handful of almonds and blanch 5 cups of DRY spinach and eat with chia seeds and apple cider vinegar for a dressing. This is what I normally eat for breakfast, sub a different veggie here and there. Might grab a banana or clementine on my way out, or two.

Lunch: I'll come home and sort of cook the same thing, cut up eggplant, squash, potato, black beans, onion, garlic, cauliflower or broccoli depending on what I have, maybe carrots, mushrooms. And eat it with whole grain pasta.

Dinner: to be honest I pretty much cook the exact type of thing as I did for lunch.

What am I missing? I crash so hard around 3pm and sleep till 7-8pm and still feel exhausted. I get plenty of sleep at night, not a drug user, I don't smoke but I do drink alcohol daily.

I also take a vegan iron supplement every day with orange juice (for vitamin c), B12, Biotin, and feverfew.

Thanks y'all for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 PM

I am not much on protein shakes. But, how about one of those at some point. How is your weight? I think more potatoes like 3 per meal. I would do a bowl of granola and fruit about an hour before bed, too. High Carbs and it will set your blood sugar up for a good morning.

When I get like that it's because I am not getting enough carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
#3 Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBlossoms View Post

I am not much on protein shakes. But, how about one of those at some point. How is your weight? I think more potatoes like 3 per meal. I would do a bowl of granola and fruit about an hour before bed, too. High Carbs and it will set your blood sugar up for a good morning.

When I get like that it's because I am not getting enough carbs.

I'm 5'8” and 135-140 lbs. What fruit do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Are you eating a handful of nuts with every meal?

#5 Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Banned

And why are you drinking alcohol daily?

#6 Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like you're getting your veggies in. I'll echo OakBlossom in the fruit, try some dates, raisins, bananas, mangoes, or citrus throughout the day.

I'd want a drink too if I was dealing with city traffic all day. smiley.gif
#7 Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Oryzatarian

Sweating in the sun and inexplicably drowsy says salt deficiency to me.

If I work in the sun too much without consciously getting enough salt I get weak and drowsy. Thats just the start, hyponatremia gets worse from there.

When the weather gets nice in my town the pharmacies move the salt pills behind the counter and limit people to 1 bottle so they dont run out. Apparently lots of people get too little salt. I blame TV.

Hypothyroidism does it for other people, often triggered by too little iodine or too much stuff that blocks thyroid function like raw brassica vegetables, lemon balm tea, etc.

#8 Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 PM

I like bananas and strawberries in my granola smiley.gif. Salt is such a good idea!!! I make homemade Gatorade in the summer with water, juice and salt. You can find a recipe online. I just wing it till it tastes good.

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
#9 Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjpaul7 View Post

What am I missing? I crash so hard around 3pm and sleep till 7-8pm and still feel exhausted. I get plenty of sleep at night, not a drug user, I don't smoke but I do drink alcohol daily.
Your diet is very high in vegetables so you may just be missing calories and, perhaps, a bit short on protein as well.

With vegetables there can really be too much of a good thing, vegetables have very low calorie density so they can fill you up digestively while not supplying you with enough energy. Vegetables, due to low absorption and quality, aren't a particularly good source of protein as well. I would drop the vegetables to 3~5 servings a day and include grains, add some more potatoes and be sure to include 4~5 servings of legumes.

I'm often on my feet for 7~8 hours doing physically demanding tasks and I usually have the energy to do household work when I get home. I could never eat what you're eating, for me eating a good deal of grains, potatoes and legumes is key while sticking to 1~3 servings of fruit and 3~5 servings of vegetables.
#10 Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 AM

have you seen a doctor about this?

#11 Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

The salt theory sounds logical to me. Also, have you been tested for anemia? I also agree with logic, a few less vegetables with more grains and a concentrated effort to get more protein might help.

#12 Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Indy, as in Indianapolis, Indiana? If so, I live less than 30 minutes from downtown :D

Are you eating enough carbs and protein together before you are doing your bike route? If you are crashing right after, you might not have enough energy in the form of sugars to get you through the route. Protein helps your blood sugar levels stay constant rather than crashing, also. It's not a huge issue for most people, but if you are very active it could become one. I also agree with other users that it could be a salt thing. 

I would check out a website like myfitnesspal and keep track of everything you eat for a couple of weeks. Make sure to open it up to show all the nutrient levels you are interested in, and after a few weeks you should start to see a pattern if there is something missing. 

Remember that variety is important, too (I need to listen to my own advice here, haha). If you are eating the same basic thing most days, you could pretty easily end up with some type of nutrient deficiency that would be covered by eating a wide variety of foods. It sounds like you mix up the vegetables you are using, but make sure to mix up the beans, grains, etc. you eat too. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page