How do you deal with an omni partner? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM

I became vegan almost overnight so to speak. I was laid up after my hysterectomy and watching movies on netflix. I watched a bunch of documentaries such as vegucated, food inc, food matters, earthlings, sick fat and dearly dead. I haven't eaten any meat products since. This is all still fairly new to me but I am spending all this extra time educating myself. My partner of a year and a half is omni. He eats meat with every meal and is also a hunter. Seeing him eat the flesh of dead animals is so appalling to me. I can't very well pressure him to become vegan so my question is how do you deal with it? I've made it clear that I will not eat, purchase or cook any animal products but that's about all I got. Very frustrating for me. I don't know how to live under the same roof suddenly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 PM

well I figure if you want to keep this relationship going there needs to be a way to deal with it. I think you are clear about not eating, preparing or shopping for any meat products.  I think this is as far as you can go as you need to respect his way of eating too. 

My partner started off as omni but I only cooked vegan so that is what he ate. He tops things with cheese sometimes and eats cookies or snacks with butter in them, but bit by bit he has given up the meat. I never pressure him at all. That wouldn\t be fair. But he has been exposed to some of those same movies and ideas and he is moving away from meat.

He can still eat meat. Hell, we can even buy a toy train if he wants. His life is still his own and if he wants meat that is okay with me. But I see him changing. Make fabulous vegan food that is way better than his food, don't force anything on him and see if he comes round to our way of thinking.

Give it time. Good luck.

#3 Old 04-27-2014, 09:47 PM

sorry I just notice the under the same roof thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM

Hi, We are in similar positions. I too gave up animal products overnight a few weeks go after watching those same docs on Netflix. I have been with my husband over half my life and we have 2 small kids. In a perfect world I wish I could say no more animal products in the house but that isn't fair. I mostly prepare Vegan meals and a few nights a week I will prepare meat on the side for them. To be honest giving up animal products has not been hard for me at all-finding meals my whole family will eat has been the worst!! I still fail most nights of the week where I am the only one eating the dinner I prepared. I am stubborn though and will keep at it, I just wish my husband would be a little more open to trying the new meals, not taking one bite and leaving the table to make a cold cut sandwich. He watches TV non-stop but there is no way I can get him to watch those documentaries!

All well, like I said I am stubborn and will keep trying. I have no problem with him eating meat, but I want him to eat the vegan meals too.

Best of luck to us both!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page