High Calorie Portable and Easy to Cook Foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM

My husband is away from home for a week at a time. He has a small kitchen. He works in extreme heat or extreme cold depending on the time of year. He has a small kitchen and Walmart to shop at. He works long shifts so time for kitchen prep is minimal. He is just worn out. He pretty much works and sleeps.

Does anyone have a list of foods that might work here? He probably burns 3000-4000 calories a day.

I can order food online if need be. Shelf stable stuff is awesome.

I am trying to make him a list so he doesn't really have to think about it. And, if I could find some more shelf stable items he can snack on or just through together that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dready, Christian, Homeschooling Mom
to 4 kids ages 13-1
One more arriving in March 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Does your husband like beans, avocados, olives, grains? 

Canned beans are pretty tasty and easy...you don't even need to heat 'em if you don't want.

PB&J's - can be 300 calories + depending on how much PB and J you add.  Easy and quick.  Add a banana to up the calories and nutrients.

Trail Mixes - Nuts are calorically dense and very low maintenance.  Adding granola to the mix makes it even better.

Soy milk -  Adds over a hundred calories to whatever, cereal, soups, smoothies, or just as a drink to enjoy with your meal. 

Dark chocolate is a great snack and high calorie.

Granola/nut bars are great.  Lara bars are pretty good.  Or you could easily make your own to suit yours and your husband's tastes.

Crackers, cereals, cookies...

Hummus, coconut (!), added oils, vegan nutritional shakes, dried fruits (less water means you eat more), I guess it really just depends on what he likes and if he's looking for more whole foods or processed foods.

Good luck!!!  And how sweet of you to care enough to try and keep him well fed. 

P.S.  Tortillas are great.  Slap whatever you like on 'em and you're ready to roll.

#3 Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 PM

Thanks. He likes to eat everything but black eyed peas smiley.gif He eats like crazy when he is home. I really think he isn't eating enough carbs while working. He isn't Vegan but I feed him that way at home.

to 4 kids ages 13-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Couscous is also very easy to cook.  All you have to do is pour some in a heat safe bowl.  Boil or microwave some water and pour it over the top of the couscous.  I usually cover my bowl with a towel or plate for a few minutes until the couscous absorbs the water and fluffs up.  Then go to town with toppings lol.  Sesame seeds, almonds, walnuts, or another nut or seed, maybe some dried or fresh fruit (banana, pineapple, and mango are all very filling), even cubed tempeh or garbanzo beans or kidney beans and tomatoes/paste.  Throw in some steamed fresh broccoli or microwaved frozen vegetables for a rounded meal. 

I am thinking about all my canoe camping adventures where I paddle a canoe and portage (travel over trails x2 each carrying a load at a time of 30-40 lb packs on my back and husband carries the 18 foot canoe) for 10 to 14 miles a day.  Then set up camp and gather firewood and water that needs to be filtered etc.  I eat a LOT more out on the trail like that than at home.  I would snack on peanut butter and banana sandwiches (choosing a heavier dense seeded bread helps too, and some bagels are naturally vegan such as Thomas brand), or tortillas with peanut/almond butter in them and those would keep me (and my omnivore husband) going for quite a while.  Medjool dates are also awesome snacks and are like dessert.  One of them is 40 calories so a handful with a glass of plant milk can be pretty filling.  

There are box mixes that are vegan friendly that you can find in most mainstream groceries, including Walmart.  Fantastic Foods makes a variety of bean mixes.  

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/

I use some of them, such as the falafal mix or refried black bean or chili mix when out on the trail because it is quick and easy to prepare when you are tired and it's filling.  I usually add them to a quick cooking grain or bread/tacos or eat them as is with vegetables on the side.  I would eat two or three servings and my husband would eat several servings at a time.  

I love sweet potatoes and often eat them steamed (peel and dice first, then throw in the steamer basket for ten minutes and there are ready to go), but you can also put them in the microwave and heat them quickly that way too.  I add beans and steamed brussel sprouts and spices to mine, or for a treat mix them with fresh or canned pineapple.  If your husband doesn't like the idea of peeling and preparing sweet potatoes, there are canned versions.  Just watch for the ingredients as some have high fructose corn syrup (unless your husband doesn't care about that) and other junk but some are just plain yams or potatoes.

Another heavier meal I can think of is to roast or saute canned chickpeas and cube up some red potatoes (don't even have to peel them, just chop) and add some celery, onion, carrots, bell pepper whatever else, maybe some spices (garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, basil are some ideas), and cook it all for about fifteen minutes til the potatoes are tender.  You can even add catsup to it, or salsa.  Salsa is a nice topping for all kinds of meals and most commercial salsas are vegan.  Tofu or tempeh can work in place of the chickpeas too.  

One more...can of kidney beans, can of tomato paste, some quick oats (about 1/4 cup or whole wheat flour, some spices, maybe a little molasses.  Mix and mash all in a bowl and make burger patties.  Cook on the stove or bake these "burgers" for ten minutes each side.  Add to sandwich bread with toppings (catsup, onion, lettuce or spinach, tomato etc).  I can get six large patties out of this and they keep in the refrigerator for several days.

Hope this helps!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 AM

It does help! He likes to buy the sweet potatoes that are shrinked wrapped for the microwave. I think it's awful but hey tongue3.gif.

I picked him up single serving microwave bowls of grains at the store yesterday.

Naturebound likes this.

to 4 kids ages 13-1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page