Trying to get a bodybuilder friend to quit eating meat - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Ok so my friend has this belief that he needs over 400g of protein a day. He won't consider vegan protein sources if they don't have as much protein as horse meat (around 26% protein - he eats 230g servings which contain 60g protein). Now I know a lot of vegan protein sources have a better calorie to protein ratio, but then he would need to eat a ridiculously large amount of them to get to the 60g per serving mark. He eats 6 times a day and drinks protein shakes. So I need a vegan protein source that has at least 60g of protein per 230g. For exemple, tofu would only have around 40g of protein per 230g. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

600 grams a day....   that will destroy his kidneys. NO bodybuilder needs that much protein. Most of that will just be wasted. As long as 5% of your daily calories come from protein your good. If you are a body builder you can go up to 10% if you want.

Edit

Sorry meant 400

#3 Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandemicAcolyte View Post

600 grams a day....   that will destroy his kidneys. NO bodybuilder needs that much protein. Most of that will just be wasted. As long as 5% of your daily calories come from protein your good. If you are a body builder you can go up to 10% if you want.

I said over 400g... So probably around 450g. But yes I know it's bad but he listens to what his trainer tells him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thier View Post

I said over 400g... So probably around 450g. But yes I know it's bad but he listens to what his trainer tells him.

That's like 1800 calories of proteins a day. That's almost as much total calories I ingest in a day. I hope your friend eat other things too. A vegetarian diet can easily meet all the diet requirements that people actually have but of he is following awful dietary advises  like that it's another story.

In any case, there are meat imitations that have a higher protein concentration than horse meat, but it's gonna be expensive. Which also makes me wonder, if he get that much proteins from shakes as he does, why would he also need to get some from his diet? I mean if he already has 400g a day from shakes the extra 50g he gets from his diet is only gonna be used for energy anyway.

#5 Old 04-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Who is his trainer?? No one should be recommending that much, and I'm wondering how many others he's putting at risk of kidney damage with this??

#6 Old 04-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:

Sorry I meant 400. In my opinion never listen to a trainer for nutrition.

#7 Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

That's a LOT of protein.  :surprised

Brendan Brazier is a super-duper vegan athlete, with his own food products.  His protein shakes are fantastic, but nowhere near the protein you're talking about. (And they taste great!!!)

Here's the link:  http://myvega.com/product/vega-one-nutritional-shake/

Instead of his trainer, maybe he should check with say....um...a  "Doctor" or "Nutritionist".....or someone schooled in.....NUTRITION.  I know that they weight lifters don't always listen to reason, but what does a trainer know WRT real nutrition? 

Just sayin........

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#8 Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Have your friend check out Bobby Rock, vegan bodybuilder, drummer and writer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page