Make my own emergency vegan bars? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to take medication that had to be taken with food. These meds were taken as needed. There was no set schedule. Of course, during the work day, you cannot always stop right when you want to to eat something. My solution was always to have Tiger Milk bars with me. That did the trick. Take the meds, eat a Tiger Milk, keep working.

Of course Tiger Milk bars are not vegan, so that's in the past. I've been vegetarian since 1997, but only vegan a very short while. It's dirt simple to eat vegetarian no matter where you are -- vegan not so much. I was at a wonderful movie theater near me that shows only independent and foreign films. However, at their snack bar there was NOTHING that was both vegan and healthy. They prided themselves on using real butter in their popcorn. Even if they used that butter flavoring (fake butter) that other theaters use, that stuff is neither vegan nor healthy. Things like red vines, soda pop, and other candies are probably vegan, but full of sugar and not even close to healthy. I'm doing the vegan thing to avoid heart attack or stroke (and also to avoid animal cruelty, but health is what kicked me in the pants to get going). I'm doing Dr. Ornish's recommendations (minus the skim milk or fish). For me, if it's full of white sugar, it might as well be full of dairy or made out of meat.

It would be good to have a vegan alternative to Tiger Milk bars with me for those times when I'm hungry and nothing vegan is available. I did find some vegan bars at Whole Foods. With the help of the person working there, I found Lärabars, Raw Revolution bars, and That's It bars, all of which are vegan. I'm anxious to try them. However, these are not a long-term solution, regardless of whether I like them. The nearest Whole Foods is 20 miles from where I live, and the bars are rather expensive anyway.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make your own emergency vegan bars. That way you have total control over what goes into them, and make lots of them inexpensively. I own a vaccum sealing system named the Food Saver. I could easily wrap a bunch of bars individually and have them ready to go with me.

However, I have no recipe. I intend to go search at VegWeb, but I also wanted to ask here if anyone else has done this and if they have a favorite way that they like to do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are a few recipes I have tried and liked:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/pumpkin-bean-bars/

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-bar-recipe/  (provides a generic formula for making your own bars)

http://www.budget101.com/copycat-clone-recipes/make-your-own-copycat-lara-bars-4047.html (helps if you have a high speed blender or food processor for these)

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/08/soft-chewy-sugar-free-baked-granola-bars/

All of these bars can be wrapped individually in plastic or aluminum foil wrap and put in the freezer indefinitely.  Once you take them out of the freezer they still stay firm for hours and I actually find that they taste better after being frozen due to the firmness.  I sometimes make them for snacks at work or long day trips hiking or snowshoeing.  Very convenient to have on hand.  You can make a big batch at once and then store them in the freezer.  It is cheaper to make your own than buy them.  You can also adjust the recipe to what you have on hand.  You don't have to be exact with it.  

Hope this helps!  Another snack I like to do is mix raisins with sunflower seeds or roasted pumpkin seeds into a ziplock bag for a type of "gorp".  I like the sweet/salty combo and it is filling and doesn't require refrigeration to keep.  I have snuck foods like this in to movie theaters and other places.  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page