How to remain very healthy and stay vegan when travelling? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 PM

I have a meeting and will be away from home and it is unlikely that I will get the opportunity to cook. I am usually very conscientious with my eating and like to ensure that I get all my macro and micronutrients as required.

What foods can I pack on my trip to keep me in top health (as I will still need to make a good impression)?

Please suggest foods that I can have on the go or can buy from a health store like good protein/energy bars, wholefoods and superfoods? Eating McDonald's or even chinese wok noodles is not an option.

Thank you. smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Banned

There are plenty of restaurants that have foods that healthier, or just as healthy, as common energy bars, etc which are usually just glorified candy bars. There are a lot of healthy snacks you can bring, for example, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, fruits, whole grain bread etc but trying to pack full meals for travel can be difficult.
#3 Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Ankle Biter

Take a cooler and pack all the foods you think you'll need. Or, if a cooler is not an option, pack what you can, and then relax, keep things in perspective, and realize that if you cannot manage to consume your ideal ratio of macro and micro nutrients, you'll be just fine. smiley.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Give peas a chance

Happy Cow can help you locate places to obtain vegan food at your destination.

I also look for any kind of grocery store that is within walking distance of where I am staying. Then I can pick up fresh fruit, and hopefully hummus and veggies. I also look for grocery stores or restaurants that have a salad bar.

If I'm driving I like to pack an extra suitcase just for food, water and tea. I have an insulated lunch box that stays fairly cold for up to 24 hours, and I'll pack that in there too with some perishables.

I make my own energy bars by pulsing dates and cashews or almonds in a food processor, then pressing them into bars.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#5 Old 04-14-2014, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If I am going to be staying in a hotel/motel, I try to get a room with a refrigerator and microwave.  I rarely ever eat out, I just prefer not to, so i need to make sure I have a way to prepare my own food.  Like others have mentioned, I bring along a cooler also.  There are tons of healthy energy bar recipes you can make and then freeze those bars to have on hand for traveling.  I like bean and pumpkin based bars but also blend raw almonds and dates for bars.  Snack types of food like dates, raisins, whole nuts like almonds, or sunflower/pumpkin seeds are nice to have on hand.  I might also make my own bread and slice that and pack it along with a homemade bean dip (good for a quick breakfast along with a nice mango or apple etc) or tempeh to slice and add in (with maybe some saurkraut and collards).  Couscous or oats are very easy to prepare.  All you need to do is heat water in a microwave and pour it over your grain in a bowl and let it soak a few minutes.  Add dried or fresh fruit, seeds, spices, whatever you like.  Some types of nut/seed butters keep well without refrigeration and can be spread in tortillas or in cereal.  Very filling.  

I stayed in a hotel for five days a month ago when I had to bring my husband to the Mayo Clinic for tests and so on.  I made sure it had a microwave and mini refrigerator.  I had the beans on homemade bread deal and a mango on the side for breakfast.  I premade my own big salad and also a vinegar, not mayo, based red potato salad and homemade baked beans for dinners.  All I had to do was heat up the beans and dinner was ready with my beans and salads.  I bought a small carton of almond milk along too.  I made sandwiches with bean spread and chopped up some carrot, snap peas, and raisins to munch on and brought those along in a little insulated bag for lunch at the clinic, but also found that they had vegan soups (McDougalls brand) and garden salads.  I don't like to use oil for dressing and of course avoid commercial dressings so I would buy fresh fruit such as apricots and oranges and put those in my salad without dressing.  I was able to find rye crackers that were vegan too, and one of the cafeterias at the Mayo facility even labeled what was in their bread and they had vegan bread rolls!  I also researched ahead and found a Whole foods coop there.  They almost always have delis with tofu, bean, and tempeh based dishes for vegans.  

Another one is to take a sweet potato, peel and microwave it and mix with a can of black beans and reheat up with spices.  Even spinach can be microwaved with a little water.  If you have a food dehydrator, you can make your own dehydrated meals that just need hot water to reconstitute, or buy vegan freeze dried meals online or at a camping store, but those can get very spendy unless you buy bulk.  I use them once a year for canoe camping when I need to pack light because I haul my own food over trails.  There are also boxed mixes like "Fantastic Foods" which cater to vegans and you can make falafel patties with them or bean dip or chili.  You just need a bowl and some water to mix it, and a way to heat it up.  I sometimes make my own soup ahead (split pea is a nice filling one for example) and bring that in the cooler.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM

When traveling in a developed or south east asian nations it's fairly to find carts/restaurants or grocery stores that cater to my "special needs". In rural parts of the developing world I eat a veganish diet and don't particularly concern myself with minor contaminants in my beans/rice/veg. To be specific: I have a don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to rendered animal fat or ghee/butter contaminants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page