Finally completely vegan, now what do I do with these B12 tablets? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Some of you know from my other recent post that I finally went vegan after being a lacto-vegetarian since 1997.  I've also thrown out all junk food like soda pop.  My blood test results were the kick in the pants I needed.  My cholesterol was too high. 

In any event, I had a vegan friend help me select my B12 tablets today.  I've done my research.  As most of you know, there's zero danger of becoming protein deficient, but there is danger of a B12 deficiency.  I've only been eating vegan for a week, so I'm sure I don't have any kind of B12 problem just yet, but I went ahead and got my B12 tablets.  It says on the bottle:

Quote:
 Country Life Superior B12
Methyl B12
3000 mcg
Gluten Free
Supports energy and stamina
Tastes great
50 Sublingual Lozenges

So how often do I take these?  Do I let the tablet dissolve in my mouth or just swallow it? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-13-2014, 02:36 AM
Impeach the gangster

The recommended daily intake for B-12 is 2.4 mcg for adults (2.6 if you're pregnant,) so, at 3000mcg, your supplement would give you 1250-times what you need daily. I'd call that overkill. The body can store B-12 for long periods, a couple of years. I certainly wouldn't take one every day. It would be a big waste. Any excess you take in will be eliminated when you urinate.

I keep some breath mints on hand that contain B-12, but only 500mcg. Just once in a while, if I feel like my energy level is dropping, I'll have one.

Since yours are described as lozenges and great tasting, you can let one (or maybe just part of one) dissolve in your mouth, or just swallow it, as you choose. Shortage of B-12 isn't as critical as it sometimes sounds, because a little goes a long way. Trust your own feelings.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 04-13-2014, 04:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

The recommended daily intake for B-12 is 2.4 mcg for adults (2.6 if you're pregnant,) so, at 3000mcg, your supplement would give you 1250-times what you need daily. I'd call that overkill. The body can store B-12 for long periods, a couple of years. I certainly wouldn't take one every day. It would be a big waste. Any excess you take in will be eliminated when you urinate.

I keep some breath mints on hand that contain B-12, but only 500mcg. Just once in a while, if I feel like my energy level is dropping, I'll have one.

Since yours are described as lozenges and great tasting, you can let one (or maybe just part of one) dissolve in your mouth, or just swallow it, as you choose. Shortage of B-12 isn't as critical as it sometimes sounds, because a little goes a long way. Trust your own feelings.

Or ... trust science since it's the most reliable source there is: http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/12/dr-gregers-2011-optimum-nutrition-recommendations/

If you're tablets contain 3000mcg, according to Dr Greger it should be enough to take one tablet a week. It's better to chew it and let it sit in your mouth for a while since the absorption is better that way. Personally, I take 250 mcg a day, according to Dr Gregers recommendations. I've also seen this recommendation in vegan nutrition books I've bought since becoming vegan.

There are great free resources regarding vegan nutrition and heath: veganhealth.org, theveganrd.com, nutritionfacts.org. Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Tom, I have B12 sublingual drops with a similar profile (2000 mcg) and I take them once or twice a week.  I have done this for years and my B12 still tests normal range.  I actually tried to take them daily at first and had strange symptoms (tingling in hands, feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin and like every nerve in my body was on fire).  When I stopped doing that and just taking them once or twice a week those symptoms disappeared.  And I use the Methyl version as opposed to Cyano one as that seemed to make those weird symptoms worse.  I am very very sensitive to vitamins, chemicals etc.  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page