Newly vegan but having health complications - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Hi this is the first time for me on this website. I've been vegetarian since 2009 and vegan for less than a week. I'm going almost raw. But today I've been feeling nauseous and since the first day I have this constant hunger. My family isn't even slightly supportive and I can't drive so there's no way for me to get to a grocery store for food so I've been scrounging for the past 4 days off of juice and crackers. Tonight was the closest I've gotten to  a meal since I've started. I had butterless corn on the cob and also butter less potato.

To note, I get nauseous very easily though. I'm on a LOT of strong medications (antidepressants, anti-anxiety, sleep medication, supplements, migraine and tension headache killers)... So sometimes I wake up randomly throwing up. It hasn't happened for a couple of weeks but I don't want that to change because of going vegan.

I'm recovering from an eating disorder that involved extreme caloric restriction and purging and this is unfortunately triggering it. But I need to be eating healthier, it's just having to inspect what I'm eating and the labels so much is bothersome... and I'm honestly looking forward a little too much to the weight loss.

--OTHER THAN THESE THINGS, I'm feeling great about going vegan. I'm extremely motivated and I want to do it right. I am doing this for the animals and to relieve my guilt from having supported the meat industry. It's very difficult where I live to have good resources so I rely on the internet. I am VERY self disciplined and know I can do this against all odds which could either be a very good or very dangerous thing.

My main question is how to address the nausea and how to deal with physical pain or discomfort during the change to vegan. Any other input or advice would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

You do the animals no favor being malnourished, or dead. Going 'almost raw' is further restricting your calorie sources, which are insufficient according to what you've posted. If you aren't already, seek treatment for your ED.

The best way to cure your hunger pains, which you call 'physical pain or discomfort during the change to vegan', is to eat a healthy amount of calories.
#3 Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM

That makes sense. I definitely don't want to fuel my ED. The problem is my house is very low on vegan resources until I can go to the store. I basically just have juices, crackers, pretzels, nuts, dry cereals and no substitutional milks, & noodles that I'd use with vegetable broth. Not anything too filling or appetizing. Tomorrow I'll be out of town for a symphony concert I'm playing in so I'll be able to eat at restraunts and hopefully find something to hold me over there, maybe I'll be able to convince someone to take me to the grocery store while out.

Also, vitamins & supplements. Most have gelatin which I haven't consumed for years so I avoid them. Plus giant horse pills freak me out. Any ideas? The only kind I take regularly is NAC (which I found a vegetarian kind for) and I take that for my Trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) which has worked way better than any OCD psych med I've tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 PM

And for clarification - I am in outpatient treatment for my ED (was inpatient for 7 months) and am weight restored.

#5 Old 04-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Look going raw is fine if you eat a large amount of calories, but if you are scrounging you are not getting even close enough and your body will starve. You don't need to be raw to be healthy. If you're feeling hungry all the time then you need more calories.. I recommend using grains like oats, rice, quinoa etc. and mixing veggies or fruit with said grain. I would like to go mostly raw but am on a budget so I often use grains as a base. But if you eat a meal that is fully raw you better stuff yourself to get the calories. 

Use cronometer.com to track your calories and nutrition.

#6 Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 PM

I feel like counting calories will not go on a good path considering my past but I will definitely be trying to eat in larger quantities. I'm going to try eating frequently throughout the day to avoid feeling too full and wanting to purge as well as feeling to hungry and wanting to fast.

I had to delete myfitnesspal because it became an unhealthy tool for restricting and over exercising so I probably shouldn't use any devices like that again.

#7 Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Bananas buy a bunch they are filling and give you energy and you can eat them with cereals and if you do not like large vitamins you can make smoothies adding protein and vitamin powders that are vegan .... eat peanutbutter on your crackers smiley.gif make salads and add sunflower seeds and dried fruits .... I think they have even raw vegan fitness powders you can add to your smoothies .... be well and pay attention to your nails, hair and skin they are the first signs when they are healthy you're doing better good luck!
#8 Old 04-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Hayley and welcome. smiley.gif

Your post terrifies me, to be honest. You may want to consider delaying going raw vegan until you have a steady, consistent supply of healthy food. Living on juice and crackers for days and fighting constant hunger is not wise. It is not good for your health or ED status, as you know. ♡ You don't want to backtrack.

Eating raw vegan is difficult, time-consuming, expensive, and hard on the stomach and gut. It is very hard to get the amount of calories and the balance of nutrients that you need, and with no transportation or way to shop for food and lack of family support, I have to say it looks overwhelmingly difficult for your situation.

Why not try lacto-ovo vegetarian, or vegan with a balance of cooked and raw foods at first?

I'm sure your eyes are rolling (if you've even read this far lol). I have children in their early 20's, and I'm an RN, so I couldn't let your post go by without commenting honestly. Please don't take offense, just want you to be a healthy, happy veggie with lots of energy, giving your body time to strengthen and heal. <3
hudleree likes this.
#9 Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM

Y'all are right, I think I'm gonna try normal veganism first for awhile and either stick with it or change smiley.gif thanks!

#10 Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey this is all new to you and I think you jumped in at the deep end too soon. Please go back and plan a bit. First start by getting two recipes you can actually make - beans and rice would be good and then maybe tofu and vegetables. Start simply.

No good will come out of this undereating. Sometimes it is more important to get the timing right and do something properly. I think you are setting yourself up for failure.

Just back up a bit, go shopping, get what you need and make sure you have enough for everyday.

Good luck

#11 Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Hey guys, update! I got some stuff at a convenience store and after my concert today I've finally convinced my mother to let me go to the grocery store. Not gonna go raw, y'all are right that it's too soon and my body still needs to transition. Feeling physically better this morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page