Why ‘Vegan Food’ Makes Some People Run For Their Lives (and What to Do About It) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Offer your non-vegan friends a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and the last thing you’ll hear is, “Ew! That’s disgusting!” (unless you’re friends with notorious anti-peanut butter fiends).

If you want to see them treat that PB&J like it’s the sandwich that will deliver a new plague onto the world though — just call it a vegan sandwich. Then, you may watch the noses turn up in disgust and horror as they imagine how the peanut butter is probably made out of tofu and the bread out of hardened nutritional yeast.

How can the same sandwich be yummy one minute and then a pile of garbage the next? Why is everyone staring at my food like it’s going to sprout legs and run straight off the table?

What people think “vegan food” really is may differ greatly from reality if they’ve never looked into it. This can make dealing with friends and family rather difficult, in that whatever food you make, eat, or buy will be automatically branded strange martian food or as tasty as a dung pie. Yet we see our friends and family eat many foods that are free of meat, dairy, and eggs, whether it is the classic PB&J or a bowl of strawberry sorbet.

Of course, what we see as vegan food that’s easy to find, they see as just another snack or meal. This leads to a lot of hilarious scenarios, such as people asking you if you can eat very basic food substances. In high school, I got asked if I could eat peanut butter, potatoes, tomato sauce, you name it. I’m not kidding, potatoes! Because as we all know, potatoes have feelings. Very touchy feelings.

Read the rest here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/why-are-people-afraid-of-vegan-food/

This is a problem I think many people here have dealt with, it can be so frustrating. Personally I have had great success with giving people a vegan cupcake or other dessert and only mentioning it's vegan after they say how delicious it is and ask for seconds, the look of shock is hilarious.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

When I first turned veg*n my youngest son used to eat my leftovers thinking it was meat.  Obviously he's wise to the scam now, but often he polishes off whatever leftovers I leave out to cool.

I'm still mourning the loss of half a BBQ mock duck at the weekend :stinkeye: 

ETA:

Completely lost the point of the thread in my angst.

The first time he ate my 'mock meat' leftovers thinking it was the real deal he acted like I'd poisoned him.  He couldn't quite wrap his head around how a type of flour (VWG) could end up fooling him.  Now he willingly eats my vegan food (with a few exceptions). 

#3 Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I got some very skeptical people to eat my scrambled tofu and Gimmie Lean sausage, to paraphrase, "This tastes like actual sausage. It's good."

Ultimate victory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is a post from me and how turned off by vegan food some people can be sad.gif I still don't know what to do about it ....

#1289 of 1944
11/29/13lavender phase
I had an awful evening .... :'( My bf (who is also a vegan) and I invited our parents over to our place for a dinner that was totally vegan .... My parents are vegan too his aren't .... His mother such a sweetie ate everything with enjoyment his dad however complained about everything especially the celebration roast .... He said "how do you people eat this rubbery grainy thing like want to be meatloaf? " We all looked at eachother and said nothing .... My parents felt sorry for me since I did all the cooking .... My bf cleaned up and just said his dad is weird like that.... He said his dad never cares to listen about our beautiful animals being tortured
and our environment .... It is past 4:00 am est. I cannot sleep ....
#5 Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Read the rest here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/why-are-people-afraid-of-vegan-food/

This is a problem I think many people here have dealt with, it can be so frustrating. Personally I have had great success with giving people a vegan cupcake or other dessert and only mentioning it's vegan after they say how delicious it is and ask for seconds, the look of shock is hilarious.

I swear I did this backwards, or sideways, or something...My grand niece had to go through allergy testing, and eggs and dairy were two of the things they were testing for. I bake a lot of desserts, so I had to at least make desserts vegan (Telling a 6 year old she can't have desserts because of food allergies? Yeah, no. Not by me, anyway). Then her uncle and aunt moved here from Virginia and California, respectively, and both of them are vegan, so I thought I'd better learn to veganize my favorite meals. I never thought vegan food was weird.   

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Well I started eating vegan food expecting it to be all crazy and weird, but was disappointed by how normal it was sad.gif

But I must say that I still think raw pastries and pastas and soups are really weird. THAT'S how you freak someone out.
Purp likes this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#7 Old 04-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it's funny how some omnivores think that a twinkie, or a snickers bar, or doritos, or commercial bread with L cysteine and other strange ingredients in it, or shrink wrapped meat, are all "normal" food, but beans, tofu, seitan, and non dairy milk are just so far out there lol.  And there is always the assumption that we eat fake everything and tons of soy.  

I really haven't had a problem though with anyone trying my food, no matter what I have made.  At work, they think I am a health nut and even when I bring in chocolate cake they think it must be a "healthy" version and they use that as justification to eat without guilt lol.  I have to bring a ton of extra food when I travel to see my inlaws because although they are anti vegan in every other regard, they love my dishes and grab those before they grab their own stuff.  When I tabled once at a college for animal activism, I brought along mini muffins to draw people over and they went like hotcakes.  No one even asked what was in them lol.  One guy who was a hunter and into the grass fed meat theory that I had a talk with wolfed down five muffins lol.  I even made a raw almond cream tart with fruit on top and people at work loved that too.  The only unpopular dish was when I made coconut date almond raw balls and brought them to church.  A lot of people do not like coconut or dates.  The only thing I have been erked by is the whole soy and fake food assumption that goes with "vegan" which is so not how I eat!  :rolleyes:

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

A friend one asked me how I had made a dish and actually stopped me as I listed the ingredients to say, 'You can have olive oil?'. I'm not sure if she thought there was something animal in olives or whether vegans 'don't eat fat' but I was shocked at this genuine question. I felt like listing all the fruits, veggies, grains, bread etc etc etc that she and all the other omnivores eat every single day... do they realise just how much vegan food they eat?!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#9 Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Oryzatarian

People avoiding vegan food isnt always a problem.

Last apple in the house becomes a "vegan apple" to ensure I get it. (If an omni looks suspicious, just say the farmer ate tofu, you'll probably get to keep your apple)

When my sister drops by unannounced when I'm cooking dinner and complains that shes only eaten cupcakes and snickers bars all day and is starving I offer her some of my (vegan) food. She invariably refuses, leaving the perfect serving size for me intact.

Etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

Well I started eating vegan food expecting it to be all crazy and weird, but was disappointed by how normal it was sad.gif

That was a let down at first for me too.

The anthropomorphized internal vision of vegan food:

The reality of vegan food:

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#10 Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

Totally off the subject...well kinda..but I was flipping through a medical dictionary trying to find something this morning and saw the word auxin in there.  It means a substance that promotes growth in plant cells and tissues.  Wondering if that's where you got your username?  Or was that just a weird coincidence?

#11 Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

Somewhere in the book MAIN STREET VEGAN, it states that everyone has always eaten vegan foods.....along with a lot of other foods.  It's true.  People eat salads, tofu, veggies, etc. except they ADD cheese, eggs, meat, etc.

A vegan diet is just subtracting the animal products.  I am coming up on my one month vegan milestone & could not be happier.                                                                                    :nana::pibo::bobo:

It's like someone who wonders why they smoked for so many years.  My "holdout" was cheese; (also stated in MAIN STREET VEGAN as the hardest thing to quit.  The chemicals, etc. in cheese are almost as addictive as some drugs.....as stated in the book).

Anyway....everyone can eat vegan, by just eliminating the "animal" foods.  I did it for a variety of reasons, but have to admit that I feel great, and have to buy new pants, since my jeans were too big.

Weight loss on a vegan diet.....plus a lot healthier lifestyle.....plus no harm to any animals......go figure.  :D 

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#12 Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

Totally off the subject...well kinda..but I was flipping through a medical dictionary trying to find something this morning and saw the word auxin in there.  It means a substance that promotes growth in plant cells and tissues.  Wondering if that's where you got your username?  Or was that just a weird coincidence?

haha, yeah, signing up for an ethnobotany site in 2002 I needed a user name. Auxins, among other things, let plants lean toward light and since I was 'leaning toward plants' I used it for a name and it just kind of stuck as my name for all planty sites.

#13 Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

You know what I think is weird...   How dairy ever became a part of human diets... 

Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#14 Old 04-11-2014, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

haha, yeah, signing up for an ethnobotany site in 2002 I needed a user name. Auxins, among other things, let plants lean toward light and since I was 'leaning toward plants' I used it for a name and it just kind of stuck as my name for all planty sites.

That's pretty creative!  lol.  I must spend way too much time on VB when I see stuff and think of users on here.  It was just so weird though, happening to run into that word in a huge medical dictionary I was paging through.

#15 Old 04-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Beginner's Mind

I had someone tell me "You're a what?  Ha, I'm going to do the opposite of that and eat only animal products."

So I said, "Well, that will kill you... so right now it sounds like a great idea to me."

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#16 Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Veg & two wheels

I think there's something conditioned into society that "vegan is wrong". The oddest and possibly most hurtful moment was giving a lump of flapjack to a friend's wife. Upon being told it was vegan she scrunched her nose. It's a shame since she's veggie....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page