Need to make a healthy vegan diet stick NOW! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tom_ZeCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 255

I have an atrocious family history for heart disease and stroke, especially on my father’s side of the family. My dad had two brothers, both of them older. The eldest died of a heart attack. The second eldest had an awful stroke that incapacitated him and necessitated his going into assisted living. It destroyed the quality of his life, what he had left before he passed. He was unable to do basic things like zip up his own pants and he could not look normal in a photo. He looked freakish. He said he would not wish that condition on his worst enemy.

 

He certainly would not wish that on his nephew. He wasn't the only one. Numerous relatives on my father's side have passed via heart attack or stroke. There haven't been as many on my mother's side, though my maternal grandfather, who smoked and ate a lot of fat, died of a heart attack.

 

My doctor's nurse called me today with the results of my blood work. My overall cholesterol is 243 and my triglycerides are 155. My good cholesterol is 177, which is about the only news. There’s some other information, which I will receive via e-mail tomorrow.

 

My doctor wants me to go on this cholesterol-lowering drug named Zocor, but I hate the idea of going on yet another drug. I’m already on a bunch of meds to control my chronic pain. I suffer from chronic migraines and back pain. I take a medication every evening to prevent migraines. If I get one anyone during the day, I have some strong meds I take to make it go away. Then I have strong meds for my back pain. Much of this stuff knocks me out. I hate that. This is why I don’t relish the idea of going on yet another med.

 

I went vegetarian back in 1997. I did so for health reasons, precisely because I didn’t want a heart attack. Though I did not do this for animal welfare reasons, the animal rights people have made their case. They’re not crazy people making unfounded assertions. The evidence is overwhelming that animals are treated atrociously in our food production system. This is yet another reason why I want to finally and permanently be vegan.

 

At home I cook vegan much of the time anyway. For a while I had a weakness for paneer cheese and for Mexican cheese and would bring it home, but I’ve since stopped. My weakness at home has been soda pop. If I feel myself getting a headache, sometimes ibuprofen, peudoephedrine, and a caffeinated soda pop are enough to stave it off. It's hard to say no to something that can help you avoid pain, but I'm going to have to. Though most soda is actually vegan, it's horribly unhealthy and I must give it up.

 

With eating out I've rarely been vegan. This needs to change. For me it's tough to say no to all that cheese in Mexican food, but I'm going to have to start. I'm going to have to be pickier about where I eat out and more demanding about how they prepare my food. I've liked the simplicity of ordering something that's simply vegetarian, but it's obvious that that must change.

 

I have to make the vegan thing happen now, and just vegan isn't enough. It has to be a health-oriented vegan diet. No more soda pop, chips, fries, other fast food. You can be vegan and still have high cholesterol if you eat junk. I did not realize that soda pop actually raises your cholesterol. It does a lot of bad other things as well. I also need to take off about 40 pounds. I've been under the mistaken and naïve assumption that being vegetarian makes me immune to heart disease. It doesn't, especially with my awful family history. Now I've also heard that migraine sufferers are at higher risk for stroke. Great.

 

I won't be able to be 100 percent vegan because of my meds. They almost certainly aren't manufactured vegan, but I'm non-functional without them. Everything else needs to be health-vegan. My first question is:

 

1. Should I go ahead and go on this Zocor crap or should I just immediately immerse myself into a health-oriented vegan diet?

 

I could go back later for more blood work to see how I'm doing. I'm also going to add some light cardiovascular training, just riding an exercise bike and walking. Next question:

 

2. How long should I do this health-oriented vegan diet before I can expect to see results? On other words: How long should I wait before going back for more blood work?

 

After I get the doctor's e-mail, I'll post more details so that I can compare my HDL and LDL levels.

Tom_ZeCat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

My doctor wants me to go on this cholesterol-lowering drug named Zocor, but I hate the idea of going on yet another drug. I’m already on a bunch of meds to control my chronic pain. I suffer from chronic migraines and back pain.
There is a good chance that dietary improvements will help improve your back pain and migraines. That is to say, your health issues may all have a common cause...namely your diet. The arteries throughout your body develop plaques, not just those in your heart and brain, and some people get back pain due to poor circulation (from the plaques) in their back. Of course people get back pains for other reasons as well.

When I changed my diet years ago many things improved and to this day I'm amazed how it was all related to what I was eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

I have to make the vegan thing happen now, and just vegan isn't enough. It has to be a health-oriented vegan diet. No more soda pop, chips, fries, other fast food. You can be vegan and still have high cholesterol if you eat junk. I did not realize that soda pop actually raises your cholesterol.
Yes, this is important, just eating "vegan" isn't enough to be healthy. Tons of vegan junk food.

Also, for the soda, drinking a diet soda here and there shouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

1. Should I go ahead and go on this Zocor crap or should I just immediately immerse myself into a health-oriented vegan diet?
This is a conversation you should have with your doctor. Some doctors are more open to lifestyle modification than others so if yours doesn't seem to be interested in working with you you can, perhaps, find a different doctor. Your numbers are pretty bad so I think most doctors will recommend the medicine and work with you if start to improve your lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post

2. How long should I do this health-oriented vegan diet before I can expect to see results? On other words: How long should I wait before going back for more blood work?
If you make serious changes you should see improvement within a few months.
logic is offline  
#3 Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Wendaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 68

I'm not a doctor, but I think you should listen to yours and take the medicine while also overhauling your diet.  That way you're covered until the healthy diet starts to work its magic.  When you go in for another blood test you can then talk to your doc about lowering/removing medicines.  (I don't know if you've ever watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, but that man kept his medicine and gradually lowered it throughout his journey.)

 

The Engine 2 Diet book talks about how a bunch of men went vegan to help improve their health.  In it the author talks about a man who changed to an all plant based diet and when he checked his cholesterol 3 weeks later it had gone down dramatically.  So, if you're really giving the healthy vegan life a go, I'd wait at least a month before checking things out again.  I don't know where you're from, but where I live we have a Health Fair where you can get your blood tested for like 20-30 bucks...it's much cheaper than visiting the Doc, in case you were curious about your results but not quite ready to go back in for a full checkup.

 

Good luck with your goals!   Also, I hope you have fun doing it!

 

P.S.  That profile pic is just priceless. 

Wendaline is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 AM
 
kallyho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 312

I was hoping to come off all my meds when I became vegan and lost weight. But try as I might I still have high cholestorol. I had to go back on some of the meds and, really, for  me that is the only sensible thing to do. I still have a very low sat fat plant based diet, but sometimes things beyond your control need medication.

 

Keep going with the healthy diet and see what changes you can make, but in the meantime, listen to you doctor.

 

Have you watched the movie Forks Over Knives?

 

Good luck.

kallyho is offline  
#5 Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609

Tom, best wishes to you!  I don't have much to add to what everyone else has suggested.  I just wanted to mention that my cholesterol improved a good bit when I went vegan.  I was fairly healthy to begin with as an omnivore before becoming vegan.  I rarely eat out, cut out all soda pop in 2008 and haven't touched it since, cooked and prepared my own whole fresh foods, have exercised very regularly five to six days a week since 2008.  I went vegan for ethical reasons in early 2011.  The year before I went vegan, I had my total cholesterol checked and HDL along with some other routine tests.  My total was 155 and HDL 62 so very decent (didn't have the other stuff done at that time).  Fast forward two years later and a year and a half into being strict vegan in 2012, still eating a mostly whole foods diet, rarely eating out, exercising regularly (in fact more since I had more energy and stamina and started cycling almost every day to work half of the year).  There was a free screening being offered at my place of work (I work in a medical complex) so I jumped at the opportunity.  I had the whole fasting thing done this time.  My total cholesterol went down to 125, LDL was 62 and HDL 57 (did go down slightly from 62 but still very good).  Triglycerides were 27, glucose 86.  Though I am a small 41 year old female with no family history of strokes or heart attacks, I am also in surgical menopause and have had hypothyroidism for 23 years, so by all means my cholesterol numbers should be higher because of those factors.  But I sincerely believe a combination of clean diet and physical activity have made a big difference.  I wasn't even trying to lower my cholesterol and my only changes were cutting out all animal based products and upping my plant based foods in place.  My exercise routine didn't change much except more cycling and running.  

 

It could very well be that genetics plays a role in your struggles and maybe diet alone won't be enough, but it's so worth a shot!  It would be great if you could find a doctor or dietitian to work with who is knowledgeable about plant based eating to guide you.  Some doctors who specialize in plant based eating for heart disease, for example Dr. Caldwell Essylstein, advocate no oil of any kind.  It isn't enough just to eat vegan.  It might help with the motivation factor too.  I hope everything works out for you!


In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#6 Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tom_ZeCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 255

Thanks to everyone who's written thus far!  I haven't touched a morsel of junk food since I got this information.  Today I went shopping for two vegan Japanese soups and an Indian curried zucchini soup, all of which I got at VegWeb.  Gonna slowly cook two of the soups tomorrow in a crock pot and the next one the following day.  I've been drinking Perrier mineral water instead of soda pop.  Tomorrow I'm going to make a bunch of green tea and bottle it so that I can drink those instead of pop. 

 

I have the Dr. Ornish book on reversing heart disease.  I just need to find it.  My doctor's nurse did not e-mail me my cholesterol counts like she said she would.  I find that annoying, but I'll get in touch with her on Monday to get that done. 

Tom_ZeCat is offline  
#7 Old 04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Wendaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 68

Way to go!  Those are some pretty good swaps.  And now you've made me want green tea.  lol 

Wendaline is offline  
#8 Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tom_ZeCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 255

An update.  I've got my full cholesterol results.  The test was done on 3/26/2014. 

 

Quote:
 CHOLESTEROL          [H]  243 mg/dL                   OPT: <200
  TRIGLYCERIDES        [H]  155 mg/dL                   30-150
  HDL                  [L]  34.6 mg/dL                  OPT: >40
  LDL                  [H]  177 mg/dL                   OPT: <100
  VLDL                      31 mg/dL                    4-40
  CHOL/HDL             [H]  7.0                         OPT: <4.97
! NON-HDL CHOL         [H]  208 mg/dL                   OPT: <130

 

Since then I haven't touched any junk food.  I've thrown soda pop and all dairy and eggs out of my diet.  I've also quit caffeine.  That one was hard.  I didn't quit instantly, I weened myself off it.  I'm not overeating, but I'm not starving myself either.  I'm eating enough to be full.  I've made Japanese soups and an Indian one, all vegan with no cooking oil, that I got from VegWeb.  I'm already feeling a lot better!  And I've noticed a little bit of weight loss. 

 

I still haven't started my yoga, cardio, and meditation program.  That will come next.  It's recommended in the anti-heart disease book.  I've borrowed the Dr. Ornish book from the library.   I actually own the book somewhere.  The library book will get me by until I find it. 

 

I have an MP3 player with hours and hours of French lessons on it.  I've been working hard to learn that language for the past year and a half.  The French lessons will keep me company while I exercise.  I'm going to start off very simple and basic.  I'm not an Olympic athlete. 

 

I didn't get pick up the cholesterol-lowering medication that the doctor recommended.  I looked it up on the Internet to learn that it has all kinds of obnoxious side effects.  I think these big changes in my lifestyle can get my cholesterol in shape.  When I look at my results and see 155 for triglycerides and optimum is 30 - 150, I think I can get that down into that zone.  I think everything else can come to acceptable levels too. 

Naturebound and 60225 like this.
Tom_ZeCat is offline  
#9 Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM
 
Wendaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 68

Sounds like you're on the right track.  That's a good idea with the French lessons. 

Wendaline is offline  
#10 Old 04-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Don't Eat Animals.
 
Vegan Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,291

STOP THE CHEESE!!!!  :notvegan:

 

Read VEGANIST, or look online for 100 videos on the subject.

 

Cheese is about 70% FAT....according to the book MAIN STREET VEGAN. (That can't be good).

 

Fruits & veggies are WAY MORE HEALTHY than cheese.  Compare the fat content. Compare the cholesterol content.  You get the picture.  Your DESIRE for cheese can be changed by a different mindset & willpower.

 

I used to drink 4 or 5 sodas a day.  I read THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION, which lays out exactly what comprises diet soda.  No natural ingredients....just chemicals....that are not good for the human body.  I quit overnight & now drink.......water.  Yeah, just water.  Your body needs it & it's actually......natural.

 

Don't live in denial & make excuses.  You can do whatever you set your mind to doing.  Quit the soda & cheese.....a day at a time.  Pretty soon, it's been a week.....two weeks....and you realize that you can actually......live without it.


All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Vegan Dave is offline  
#11 Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tom_ZeCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFUVEGMAN View Post
 

STOP THE CHEESE!!!!  :notvegan:

 

Read VEGANIST, or look online for 100 videos on the subject.

 

Cheese is about 70% FAT....according to the book MAIN STREET VEGAN. (That can't be good).

 

Fruits & veggies are WAY MORE HEALTHY than cheese.  Compare the fat content. Compare the cholesterol content.  You get the picture.  Your DESIRE for cheese can be changed by a different mindset & willpower.

 

I used to drink 4 or 5 sodas a day.  I read THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION, which lays out exactly what comprises diet soda.  No natural ingredients....just chemicals....that are not good for the human body.  I quit overnight & now drink.......water.  Yeah, just water.  Your body needs it & it's actually......natural.

 

Don't live in denial & make excuses.  You can do whatever you set your mind to doing.  Quit the soda & cheese.....a day at a time.  Pretty soon, it's been a week.....two weeks....and you realize that you can actually......live without it.

 

I'm happy to report I've maintained a health-oriented vegan diet since my first post -- no cheese or sodas.  I'm already feeling quite a lot better.  I'm having less headaches!  That's huge for me.  For years I've had to take some kind of pain reliever for headaches every single day.  I'm still taking the nightly headache prevention meds, but I'm not taking the pain killers during the day.  I would feel a headache coming on, have a sneezing fit, and then if I didn't take the painkillers and drink a caffeinated soda, I would get a headache.  That appears to have abated, at least for now.  Let's hope permanently because that would make a MASSIVE improvement in the quality of my life.  I've even lost a little weight already. 

 

I've still got to get going on my yoga, meditation, and cardio training. 

 

I've also got some great support here locally.  You would not think of Idaho as a veggie haven, and it's not, but there's a great organization here named Treasure Valley Vegans.  They have vegan potlucks, organize letter-writing campaigns, and organize outings to restaurants.  The last will be good because it's definitely way harder to eat out as a vegan than as a vegetarian.  What they do is they contact a restaurant and see how well they can accommodate vegans with the incentive that if they accommodate them well, a large party of vegans will show up for a group meal.  The idea is to encourage the restaurant to add vegan items permanently to their menus so that the members will come back on their own. 

Tom_ZeCat is offline  
#12 Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
 

 

I'm happy to report I've maintained a health-oriented vegan diet since my first post -- no cheese or sodas.  I'm already feeling quite a lot better.  I'm having less headaches!  That's huge for me.  For years I've had to take some kind of pain reliever for headaches every single day.  I'm still taking the nightly headache prevention meds, but I'm not taking the pain killers during the day.  I would feel a headache coming on, have a sneezing fit, and then if I didn't take the painkillers and drink a caffeinated soda, I would get a headache.  That appears to have abated, at least for now.  Let's hope permanently because that would make a MASSIVE improvement in the quality of my life.  I've even lost a little weight already. 

 

I've still got to get going on my yoga, meditation, and cardio training. 

 

I've also got some great support here locally.  You would not think of Idaho as a veggie haven, and it's not, but there's a great organization here named Treasure Valley Vegans.  They have vegan potlucks, organize letter-writing campaigns, and organize outings to restaurants.  The last will be good because it's definitely way harder to eat out as a vegan than as a vegetarian.  What they do is they contact a restaurant and see how well they can accommodate vegans with the incentive that if they accommodate them well, a large party of vegans will show up for a group meal.  The idea is to encourage the restaurant to add vegan items permanently to their menus so that the members will come back on their own. 

Tom, I think you are doing awesome!  The steps you have taken are HUGE!  Most people don't make that many changes that quickly, so I say kudos to you!  And to have local support to boot is great!  I am so jealous as there aren't any groups like that up here in a two hundred mile radius.  I have to travel to the Twin Cities to meet up with other vegans.  I tried to get one going at one point through Meetup where I live but no luck.  I belong to a national animal rights organization though and they have been a great support by phone and email.  I had to learn all the ins and outs of vegan shopping up here where I live myself.  There are vegans around, they are just quieter here.  I hope you can keep the momentum going because you will gain so many health benefits and feel so much better!  I also admire that you got off the caffeine.  I am still working on cutting out the coffee.  Maybe when school is done.  It's bad for my bones which are not in the greatest shape (lost my ovaries years ago).  Living crazy hours right now.  I suspect that as you get healthier, the motivation to exercise will increase.  When I started a regular exercise routine in 2007 I was in terrible pain all the time and seeing a physical therapist, and I just felt awful.  It was hard to get going and start out but he provided a lot of support and help with a routine specialized for me.  I used to be a dancer years ago but quit and then abused my body with alcohol and other issues for a long time.  And then I had a traumatic surgery that changed my life dramatically.  I thought I would never feel good again, but once I got going with the exercise I fell in love with it all over again and my body just felt and still feels so much better, more than any antidepressant ever felt (I got off those in 2008 after being on them for over twenty years).  The pain disappated and I can regulate my thyroid better and so on.  Exercise is a vital component of living for me, not only for physical health but for stress relief and control of anxiety and confidence.  I am no athlete but I love the endorphins and flexibility and strength it gives me.  I bought an mp3 player two years ago and downloaded my favorite music and it has also made a world of difference, especially when I am on those boring cardio machines in the winter.  I prefer cycling and running in the woods but can't take the brutal snow and cold of winter here so I spend more time in the gym for half the year.  The music makes me just rock those machines lol. Definitely a great tool to use.  The french lessons sound like a great tool too.  I studied two semesters of anatomy and physiology and some of my best studying was while on treadmill or stair climber reading flashcards lol.  Or I would lift weights and imagine all the bones, muscles, veins and arteries I was using while lifting.  Hey, whatever works!


In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#13 Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tom_ZeCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
 

Tom, I think you are doing awesome!  The steps you have taken are HUGE!  Most people don't make that many changes that quickly, so I say kudos to you!  And to have local support to boot is great!  I am so jealous as there aren't any groups like that up here in a two hundred mile radius.  I have to travel to the Twin Cities to meet up with other vegans.  I tried to get one going at one point through Meetup where I live but no luck.  I belong to a national animal rights organization though and they have been a great support by phone and email.  I had to learn all the ins and outs of vegan shopping up here where I live myself.  There are vegans around, they are just quieter here.  I hope you can keep the momentum going because you will gain so many health benefits and feel so much better!  I also admire that you got off the caffeine.  I am still working on cutting out the coffee.  Maybe when school is done.  It's bad for my bones which are not in the greatest shape (lost my ovaries years ago).  Living crazy hours right now.  I suspect that as you get healthier, the motivation to exercise will increase.  When I started a regular exercise routine in 2007 I was in terrible pain all the time and seeing a physical therapist, and I just felt awful.  It was hard to get going and start out but he provided a lot of support and help with a routine specialized for me.  I used to be a dancer years ago but quit and then abused my body with alcohol and other issues for a long time.  And then I had a traumatic surgery that changed my life dramatically.  I thought I would never feel good again, but once I got going with the exercise I fell in love with it all over again and my body just felt and still feels so much better, more than any antidepressant ever felt (I got off those in 2008 after being on them for over twenty years).  The pain disappated and I can regulate my thyroid better and so on.  Exercise is a vital component of living for me, not only for physical health but for stress relief and control of anxiety and confidence.  I am no athlete but I love the endorphins and flexibility and strength it gives me.  I bought an mp3 player two years ago and downloaded my favorite music and it has also made a world of difference, especially when I am on those boring cardio machines in the winter.  I prefer cycling and running in the woods but can't take the brutal snow and cold of winter here so I spend more time in the gym for half the year.  The music makes me just rock those machines lol. Definitely a great tool to use.  The french lessons sound like a great tool too.  I studied two semesters of anatomy and physiology and some of my best studying was while on treadmill or stair climber reading flashcards lol.  Or I would lift weights and imagine all the bones, muscles, veins and arteries I was using while lifting.  Hey, whatever works!


That's right!  Whatever works!  Maybe take another shot at a meetup group.  Maybe if you make it a vegetarian/vegan group you'll attract more.  It seems like you should have a good shot at it.  Minnesota is such a more progressive state than backwards gun-toting, Confederate-flag-waving Idaho. 

 

I've hit my first obstacle.  My MP3 player died!  I'm bummed.  I've gotten so used to always having all my French lessons and lots of music handy everywhere I go I just don't know what to do.  A store is holding a new one for me.  I'll pick it up tomorrow.  Tomorrow's also a potluck with Treasure Valley Vegans.  I just went out to get all the ingredients for a penne pasta.  Here's the recipe if you want it.  I've had it for years.  It's actually a fettuccine recipe, but I'm making the same sauce and using penne pasta instead because those are the vegan noodles I was able to find. 

 

Quote:

Eggplant Fettuccine

 

 1 whole eggplant, diced

 4 tbs cooking sherry

 6 cloves garlic, crushed & minced

 1 med white onion, chopped

 3 cups fresh tomatoes, finely chopped

 2 fresh green peppers, chopped

 1 tsp. oregano

 ½ cup unsweetened apple juice

 2 six oz cans tomato paste (recommended brand = Muir)

 1 tsp basil

 2 tsp tamari

 

 1 package of vegan Fettuccine noodles

 

Sprinkle the eggplant with sea salt and let it sit for about half and hour.

 

Boil the Fettuccine with a dash of salt till it's ready, then take it out and strain it.

 

Sauté the garlic and onions in cooking sherry for about ten minutes. Add all the rest of the ingredients, except the Fettuccine noodles, and let them simmer for about an hour. Serve over the noodles.

 

Notes: Still good after freezing. You might be tempted to leave out the apple juice. Don’t. If you do, it will lose pizzazz. I use six cloves of garlic because I like things really garlicky. The recipe will taste okay with only three cloves.

Tom_ZeCat is offline  
#14 Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
 


That's right!  Whatever works!  Maybe take another shot at a meetup group.  Maybe if you make it a vegetarian/vegan group you'll attract more.  It seems like you should have a good shot at it.  Minnesota is such a more progressive state than backwards gun-toting, Confederate-flag-waving Idaho. 

 

I've hit my first obstacle.  My MP3 player died!  I'm bummed.  I've gotten so used to always having all my French lessons and lots of music handy everywhere I go I just don't know what to do.  A store is holding a new one for me.  I'll pick it up tomorrow.  Tomorrow's also a potluck with Treasure Valley Vegans.  I just went out to get all the ingredients for a penne pasta.  Here's the recipe if you want it.  I've had it for years.  It's actually a fettuccine recipe, but I'm making the same sauce and using penne pasta instead because those are the vegan noodles I was able to find. 

 

Thanks for sharing the recipe Tom!  That sounds pretty good, and the apple sauce seems like it would add a unique flavor.  

 

I never thought of making the meetup group a vegan/vegetarian group but that is not a bad idea!  Two things I want to do when I finish school and land the certification I am after.  I want to take yoga classes, and I want to try again to get a meet up group going here and really throw myself into leafleting again.  I did a lot of it last Fall but school has been busier this semester.  Grandmas marathon is coming in June and I am thinking that would be a great event to leaflet vegan stuff at!  There are literally thousands of people that come to that event, and runners from all over the world.  I may have to work the nutrition angle more than the ethical one at something like that.

 

What a bummer about your mp3.  Hope you get it fixed or a new one soon!  I have on occasion run out of battery with mine and it won't play and it just kills the momentum.  I wonder how I ever worked out at the gym before my mp3!  However, when I am done with my main workout and go to the stretch area I take it off and talk to people.  I sometimes wear my vegan activisim shirts and it attracts conversation and I spread the word that way.  People shy away from talking about animal rights or ethics etc, but get them talking about food and they are all ears lol.  People are fascinated when I tell them all the ways I replace dairy and eggs and meat.  It is so easy and the variety of food I eat is so much more than before.  I used to eat the same group of foods all the time as an omnivore.  The biggest issue they bring up is always the protein.  So I share how I meet those needs.  Granted I am a small person and not a body builder or anything, but I make sure to point out about vegan athletes that are well known.

 

I'm going to print that recipe and try it out!  I have all the ingredients on hand, including penne pasta.  Thanks so much for that!


In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#15 Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,955

That does sound like a good recipe! I haven't used eggplant in some time. In the early days I used eggplant in just about everything! 

My son makes the ultimate mashed garlic potatoes. I couldn't figure out what he did that was so special. He told me he added some apple juice! he wasn't kidding either.


Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
silva is online now  
#16 Old 04-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

That does sound like a good recipe! I haven't used eggplant in some time. In the early days I used eggplant in just about everything! 

My son makes the ultimate mashed garlic potatoes. I couldn't figure out what he did that was so special. He told me he added some apple juice! he wasn't kidding either.

That is funny, my son adds fruit to the oddest things he cooks and they usually come out really good! He made this salsa with cherries that was insanely good! Cherries! grin.gif
LedBoots is offline  
#17 Old 04-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Adding fruits where I previously didn't is one of my favorite cooking experiments. You should try a fresh strawberry sauce on mashed potatoes --it's amazables.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#18 Old 04-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Adding fruits where I previously didn't is one of my favorite cooking experiments. You should try a fresh strawberry sauce on mashed potatoes --it's amazables.
For tonight's dinner I have these gorgeous tiny potatoes, and it's still strawberry season here so I have berries, and now I'm going to make a strawberry sauce for the taters!

I think I will separate some sauce out and make some of it sweeter, put bunches of berries in and and put it over southern style biscuits with soy whipped creme for a ridiculous dessert. And I have fresh artichokes, that'll be good with the strawberry potatoes and roasted garbanzos.

Thank you for planning my fam's dinner, River! grin.gifgrin.gif
River likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off