Skinny B**ch **Warning: Possible Eating Disorder Trigger** - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-28-2014, 07:29 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

I'm not trying to break the rules with the title, I'm posting about the book with the same name. What do you think about it? A few of my friends are getting into it, and I'm mixed. It prescribes veganism as THE weight loss tool (which is good) but does so by painting meat and dairy in the same way as it's painted on pro-anarexia websites (which kinda sucks). She talks about the "rotting flesh diet" and how "milk looks like puss" and does everything she can to discourage the reader from going anywhere near most of any food again.

Although I think it's awesome that it's promoting veg*nism, I think the way it's being gone about is very, very wrong and can possibly even be seen as encouraging eating disorders and vegetarian stereotypes. What do you guys think? Have anyone seen that book?

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Encouraging veganism does not encourage eating disorders. ED people find veganism as a way to mask their disorder. Meat is riding flesh and milk does contain puss.

Anything, by your logic, which paints any food in a bad light, encourages eating disorders.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Is it advising people to basically starve themselves when going veg? :( 

Is it exploiting animal cruelty? 

I haven't read the book, but I would at least hope that it encourages supplementing with plant-based alternatives rather than just simply cutting these foods out.

Veg*nism is not always the BEST diet...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

How does it promote eating disorders? I know some things about the person who wrote it and they encourage you eat a lot. In fact she eats way more than me. Consuming more than 4000 calories a day. When you eat meat you are indeed consuming parts of a rotting corpse. And milk contains puss in it. No sugar coating that. And the author has the perspective that veganism is the diet humans were meant to eat. Seeing us as frugivores. I tend to agree with most of this view.

You can check out her youtube channel. I think its freelee the banana girl.

#5 Old 03-28-2014, 08:57 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

A LOT of the passages in the book remind me of the pro-ana stuff that I read back in those days. It also constantly reinforces the idea that your worth is tied into your weight and that you're automatically unhealthy if you're so much as 1 lb over what the BMI says you "should be".

EDIT: I should clarify that I dealt with severe anorexia and bullemia back in the day, and therefore the book triggered a lot of that in the way that it was written.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Some of the phrases found on the second page include "bloated fat-pig syndrome" and "healthy=skinny".

There are also such gems as, "If you need coffee to wake up you are either addicted to caffeine, sleep deprived, or a generally unhealthy slob." "You need to exercise to lose weight you lazy ****." "Are you a gluttonous pig who wants to believe you can eat cheeseburgers all day long and lose weight?" "Every time you put crap in your body, you are crap"

"Sit down at a table. Eat very slowly. Try not to finish the whole thing. Do not have another serving. Take note of how you feel while you’re eating it, immediately after, an hour later, in bed that night, and the next day. Chances are, because your body is now pure, the vice item will make you feel a little nauseous, or headache-y, at the very least. And it most certainly won’t taste as good as you imagine it will."

"Pure" and "unpure" foods are classic eating disorder rhetoric. So is the idea of eating slowly with the full intention of not finishing something.

The entire book riducules the reader and seems to really encourage disorder-related behavior. There's an anti-eating disorder chapter at the end, but I can pull WAY more quotes out if you want me to. It just came off as SO negative. The only reason it fell into my possession was because a friend gave it to me.

#7 Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisaunicorn View Post

Is it advising people to basically starve themselves when going veg? :( 

Is it exploiting animal cruelty? 

I haven't read the book, but I would at least hope that it encourages supplementing with plant-based alternatives rather than just simply cutting these foods out.

Veg*nism is not always the BEST diet...

Yeah, actually, it does. She spends 4 pages talking about fasting and encouraging people to do it frequently that want to lose weight. She also talks about how to cope with constant hunger...

#8 Old 03-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Woah...   fasting!? That's one thing I keep hearing from her that she says is super unhealthy. That if you lose weight you should do it slow an healthy. And that if you are hungry eat lots of carbs. I get a lot of what those rather rude phrases mean, and weather I agree or not I think it should sound a little less....   hostile? And I don't believe I've heard her describe food as pure or unpure. Sounds creepy. Even though I agree on most points of nutrition the presentation of this book from what you tell me just seems too harsh. That can offput a lot of people and prevent them from seeing the info trying to be delivered.

#9 Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandemicAcolyte View Post

Woah...   fasting!? That's one thing I keep hearing from her that she says is super unhealthy. That if you lose weight you should do it slow an healthy. And that if you are hungry eat lots of carbs. I get a lot of what those rather rude phrases mean, and weather I agree or not I think it should sound a little less....   hostile? And I don't believe I've heard her describe food as pure or unpure. Sounds creepy. Even though I agree on most points of nutrition the presentation of this book from what you tell me just seems too harsh. That can offput a lot of people and prevent them from seeing the info trying to be delivered.

That's what I'm saying, but those are quotes directly from the book. I can cite page numbers if you would like them. It's messed up IMO, and could easily trigger people with past eating disorders.

#10 Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Honestly it's when people trying to teach nutrition like this that they do more harm than good. Something vegans deal with weather you're raw or not is if you are hostile with people the message is lost. 

#11 Old 03-29-2014, 02:01 AM
Banned

Are you sure the author is Freelee the banana girl?  Must admit I don't know her real name!

I've never read the book ~ have I got the right one?  It doesn't look like her in the pictures.

http://www.skinny*****.net/authors.html

#12 Old 03-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I don't think it's Freelee the Banana Girl that wrote Skinny *****. It was 2 women, one a former Ford model, and it's not a raw vegan book. Freelee doesn't give out her real name on her site, so I'm not sure. They are all three beautiful, very thin women.

Those quotes you posted do sound like they encourage ED, but it *is* a weight loss book. They have to tell people how to eat less calories, or the weight loss is not going to happen.

That said, I don't like the tone of the book; it seems mean and a little condescending (I've only read excerpts and some recipes.) In general, I don't think diet books are healthy to read for people with ED histories or tendencies. I'm not a huge fan of diet books, but I have to have a little soft spot for one that discusses factory farming! smiley.gif
#13 Old 03-29-2014, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Deleted for personal reasons.

Jasminedesi16 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#14 Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I read both books Skinny ***** & Skinny ***** in the kitch .... The Skinny ***** book I felt bullied while reading it but I laughed it off and enjoyed some recipes .... I was 16 when I read the book and my friends who were vegetarian at the time found the book encouraging to go Vegan I do not know if it triggered them to Ed they seemed to stay at a healthy weight while going dairy free .... While I read Skinny ***** in the Kitch I felt less bullied and more focused on giving up Vegan junk food and cooking healthy vegan meals .... A diet to lose weight is made up of all sorts of restrictions and are possible triggers for someone who has or recovered from Ed .... I definitely see why those who have an eating disorder find veganism an attrative way of eating because of the restrictions .... no meat/ dairy/ eggs sadly I do not think it is for the love of animals .... However a low carb diet mainly all protein is another option to lose weight seems to me diets in general are triggers for those who have or recovered from an eating disorder.
#15 Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

I read skinny b, tch years ago and think its simply a matter of perspective. I can see it being both very real andfactual, but personslly triggering and offensive if you suffered from addiction.
Like someone saying its nice to relax with an alcohoic drink with friends on the weekend . If youre an alcoholic thats can be triggering, but for others simply a statement.
I knew it was seen as pro ana when I read it, but I couldnt find that. I felt they were being real. Its like why people add "possilbe trigger" to posts

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#16 Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Naturebond, I haven't read it and won't read because it's tittle is so obnoxious and sexist. I think it's good they are encouraging veganism but telling girls to starve themselves and fast I think is wrong. I've heard fasting is good for you, but I think as long as you aren't doing it to lose weight, for example some people fast from all sugar for a couple days or caffeine. Some people do it to regulate their digestive system or too detox. But I think saying it in a diet book does encourage an eating disorder.   

#17 Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Plant/Fungi based.

OH MY GOSH! I was so stupid! I was talking about the wrong book and author! I apologize! I feel like such an idiot......

#18 Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like a terrible book based on your description and quotes. And yeah it sounds like something that would trigger or promote eating disorders in some people. There is already an overemphasis placed on girls'/womens' weights and I can't imagine that kind of language helps. Also skinnier is not necessarily healthier. The level of skinniness some people view as ideal is actual unhealthy. Others may laugh off the dramatic language and get something positive out of it, though, I guess.

Quote:

It prescribes veganism as THE weight loss tool (which is good)

I disagree that that is good. Going vegan may lead to some weight loss for the average person, but you can also gain weight as a vegan or simply maintain. And you can also lose or gain weight as an omnivore. I've gained 45 pounds or so in the last few years that I'm now trying to lose. Partly due to quitting nicotine and partly due to overeating pasta, tortillas, bread, cheese substitutes, earth balance and so on.

#19 Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I read some of the Skinny ***** chapter on factory farms years ago in a bookstore. It's not every diet book that has this content:
(Warning: graphic descriptions)

"Of the ten billion animals slaughtered each year for America's consumption, the vast majority of them come from factory farms. Factory farms that raise cattle, pigs, chickens, egg-laying hens, veal calves, or dairy cows have an enormous amount of animals in a small space... The animals are confined inside buildings, where they are literally packed on top of each other. Egg-laying hens are crammed into cares so small, they are unable to open their wings, and their mangled feet actually grow around the wire mesh floors. This overcrowded, stressful environment causes chickens to peck at each other and factory farm workers, so the ends of their beaks are seared off their faces using a hot knife. Pigs and cows are imprisoned in stalls so small, they are unable to turn around or lie down comfortably. Cattle are subject to third-degree branding burns and having their testicles and horns ripped out. Pigs also suffer from branding and castration, in addition to the mutilation of their ears, tails and teeth. They all live in the filth of their own urine, feces and vomit, with infected, festering sores and wounds. To keep animals alive in these unsanitary conditions, farmers must give them regular doses of antibiotics...."
#20 Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Veg & two wheels

Ledboots that's grim, but it's good to have it put into the public eye. Documentaries a lot of people choose not to watch
#21 Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I read some of the Skinny ***** chapter on factory farms years ago in a bookstore. It's not every diet book that has this content:
(Warning: graphic descriptions)

"Of the ten billion animals slaughtered each year for America's consumption, the vast majority of them come from factory farms. Factory farms that raise cattle, pigs, chickens, egg-laying hens, veal calves, or dairy cows have an enormous amount of animals in a small space... The animals are confined inside buildings, where they are literally packed on top of each other. Egg-laying hens are crammed into cares so small, they are unable to open their wings, and their mangled feet actually grow around the wire mesh floors. This overcrowded, stressful environment causes chickens to peck at each other and factory farm workers, so the ends of their beaks are seared off their faces using a hot knife. Pigs and cows are imprisoned in stalls so small, they are unable to turn around or lie down comfortably. Cattle are subject to third-degree branding burns and having their testicles and horns ripped out. Pigs also suffer from branding and castration, in addition to the mutilation of their ears, tails and teeth. They all live in the filth of their own urine, feces and vomit, with infected, festering sores and wounds. To keep animals alive in these unsanitary conditions, farmers must give them regular doses of antibiotics...."

Good to hear that it focuses on animal cruelty as well. Perhaps it's a mixed bag.

#22 Old 03-29-2014, 03:16 PM

I read Skinny ***** and I thought it was really funny.  Sometimes people react to things differently, and to me the book was edgy and interesting because of the language they used.  I didn't find it insulting.  I found it to be actually empowering. 

They don't encourage eating disorders, in fact they warn the reader not to get too caught up in ED type behavior. 

"But don't go anorexic on us either.  It's easy to get caught up in any lifestyle change and go overboard.  Make healthy choices and take excellent care of yourself without getting neurotic and obsessive."

They actually stress making up your own mind.  They don't say you have to follow their suggestion, in fact they encourage you to think it through and listen to your body.

"Use your head. We can't say it enough. Use your own head and think about what you're eating.  Forget what you've ever read, heard, or learned and just think for yourself.  Once they've recovered, your body, brain, and instincts will always lead you down the right food path.  Obey them and disregard everyone and everything else.  You know the truth."

In fact, if you read the book you'll see that in their last chapter they talk about the title and how they used it to grab attention.  They talk about how to not be insecure, competitive, or to not fixate on body weight.  They tell their readers that when you eat a more healthy diet, you tend to feel better and that can translate into treating each other better. 

"Progress not perfection."

They encourage their readers to feel good about themselves and to enjoy life.  They just use a more rough, boot camp, type approach to get their message across.  A little tongue in cheek, but for some it's just what they need.  

I even had a nutrition expert read the book, back when I first got it to check on the accuracy.  She told me that the book was pretty good.  Some of the things she noted was not to get too caught up in fasting, that morphine being in milk was exaggerated, and that some of the meal plans were too low cal.  Other than that, she really enjoyed the book and told me it helped her go back to being a vegan. 

To those of you who haven't read the book and are jumping to conclusions, I'd just suggest having an open mind.  Just because someone gives the book a bad review doesn't mean it's bad.  And just because I give it a good review doesn't mean it's good. 

Take a tip from Skinny ***** and make up your own mind.

#23 Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM

I heard about this concern and at first I didn't pay much attention to it until I read more about it. I haven't read the book but I heard there are a lot of concerns because they feel the book pushes vegan diets but also very low calorie intake.
I will definitely read the book though to see if this is true
#24 Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you Wendaline for a very accurate review!

The "triggers" people refer to are the same as pornography triggering rape. Ads for alcohol triggering relapse among alcoholics. War movies triggering post traumatic stress.

If you've had an eating disorder in the past I would not recommend picking up a book titled "Skinny...anything.

It really advocates healthy ethical eating habits and not unneeded weight loss.

Many people on this board complain that people single out their vegan diet for causing them to be thin. If you're eating a healthy diet and you're thin you're just healthy.

There is nothing bad about thin

Wendaline likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#25 Old 04-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Skinny ***** is definitly NOT written by freelee. She has a book called. "Go fruit yourself!" The must have raw food newbie manual. I love Freelee and watch her a lot on youtube. She would never encourage fasting and restricting. Infact she is constantly saying dont deprive yourself, or restrict calories. Quiet-Vegan her real name is Leanne. She made a video 25 things you didnt know about me. And in it she explaned how she got this name. Free is for freedom. And Lee is obviosuly because her name is Leanne. I have not read Skinny ***** but it definitly doesnt sound like its for everyone. I would probably find it humerous. My super sensitive sister would probably be scarred for life if she read it. 

#26 Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Well the problem I had was with the fasting section: it says the longer you fast, the more weight you'll lose. It irritated me and triggered me mildly, because it sounded so much like the pro-ana blogs I've read time and time again. That was one major concern.

#27 Old 04-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Aliakai, I agree with you on the fasting. Fasting does not provide long term weight loss. Thats the worset advice ever. I had eating problems as a teen. I wouldnt say I was hard core anorexic. But I would go threw periods of "dieting" where i would not eat for 3 days and then binge and then starve myself again for three days then binge. It was a pointless cycle. Starving off the weight does not work in the end. The longest I ever "fasted" for was 14 days. zero food only water. sure I lost 15lbs. but guess what. It all came back on once I started eating agin.  Its short term gratification. 

#28 Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

thats excatly what it sound like to me because I suffer from anorexia,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page