People not liking my Facebook comments - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 PM

From time to time  I post things on Facebook about animal abuse or rights (I never post graphic photos). But then I got to thiinking I was posting this too much, so I made a new Facebook page that focuses on my veganism and animal rights.

Anyhow last night I got a nice and respectful message from an old friend telling me that she was hiding my posts because she didn't want to see them. She said my attitude was that they shouldn't eat meat and that wasn't respectful to her choice, and she said I posted too much of this stuff anyway.

I told her I was grateful she told me, and it was okay if she wanted to hide my posts. It also made me reflect on how best to use Facebook. I am only a newish vegetarian and now vegan. I came to it for medical reasons and I am fairly passionate. I am passionate about the plight of farm animals.

Anyhow, my point. Do you use Facebook as an awareness too and if so, how? If not, why not (if you care to share)

In the end I want to do what works. I can accept that some people may fall by the wayside, but I don't want to go out of my way to offend and upset.

Any thoughts friends?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Ankle Biter

I post pictures and comments about my foster dogs, delicious vegan recipes I've made or been served, and about the animal rights protests I go to. I don't post or forward articles about health, in general, as I try not to be too preachy. I've been vegan for a long time, though, so no one is surprised when I occasionally post a link to something about animal cruelty. Still, I think it's better to be positive for the most part.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have shared a few vegan animal rights pictures, but in general no; I don't really use Facebook to spread awareness. I find that that annoys them a lot more than it will make them think about their choice to eat meat.

As for whether people will like the post or not, it's going to depend on what animal is depicted in the picture. If it's about the slaughter of dolphins (for example), people will probably like it. If the animal depicted in the photo is a cow, chicken or pig, people won't like the picture and I can imagine them looking annoyed when they see it.

Overall, I'd say it's probably best to share pictures of delicious vegan food (along with a link for the recipe). There's a bigger chance people will like that post, and hopefully those who do will try that recipe. And that's one less meal without meat an omnivore will have.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I see people post about poor animal abuse with dogs an cats. "How could someone do this to an animal! If you're an animal lover share this!". Oh how nice. I post something about a cow or chicken and suddenly I'm a freak. "Oh you showing that means you don't respect my choice to eat meat", should I respect it? What about it deserves respect? I don't respect some ones choice to smoke cigarettes.

If I post anything people either get upset or feel the need to joke about it. "Oh that pig is so cute! I could go for some pork chops!". And they wonder why I get upset at these comments. 

Move of Ten and silva like this.
#5 Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 PM

some good thoughts. Part of  me thinks "This is my Facebook page, where I post what interests me", but part of me thinks there are better ways to raise awareness. What do you think.?

#6 Old 03-29-2014, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandemicAcolyte View Post

I see people post about poor animal abuse with dogs an cats. "How could someone do this to an animal! If you're an animal lover share this!". Oh how nice. I post something about a cow or chicken and suddenly I'm a freak. "Oh you showing that means you don't respect my choice to eat meat", should I respect it? What about it deserves respect? I don't respect some ones choice to smoke cigarettes.

If I post anything people either get upset or feel the need to joke about it. "Oh that pig is so cute! I could go for some pork chops!". And they wonder why I get upset at these comments. 

Have you ever related a story about abuse and just left it at "an animal" and have people so upset thinking it's a cat or dog? When you tell them it's about animals raised for food, and totally legal, they don't know how to react

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 03-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Have you ever related a story about abuse and just left it at "an animal" and have people so upset thinking it's a cat or dog? When you tell them it's about animals raised for food, and totally legal, they don't know how to react

Yup. I hear ya. Either people are in disbelief about the animals treatment, or they just don't want to think about it.

#8 Old 04-12-2014, 10:17 PM

I have a hard time refraining from sharing some vegan activism or animal abuse awareness posts from some pages I follow. I've gotten hate from it and I know it probably annoys more people than will admit to it. It's just something I'm so passionate about and have such a hard time holding in. I have such a strong sense of justice and to know the majority of my Facebook friends violate it while still knowing the cruelty and disregarding it boggles my mind... But I have to stomach that. It's hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page